Author Topic: Acronyms in posts  (Read 5388 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Acronyms in posts
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
The reason this thread needs to exist is why I try to avoid using all but the simplest and/or most directly tied to the show acronyms (such as DSW).

The fact that this topic seems to be revisted every three or four months and I still don't know what the heck some people are talking about also suggests that things may be getting a bit too insular.

Offline TPIRFan1986

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
Halloween has had "CANDY!" for a win and "ROCK!" for a loss, in tribute to It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. We haven't decided on what to give a person who bails out.

Thanksgiving has given us "DRUMSTICK!" for wins and "NECK!" for a loss, while someone who bails out gets "A WING."

And as of now the term "Hold It, Barker" should be officially be changed to "HIRT, Drew!"*

* - Hold It Right There, Drew!

Don't forget: LFAT = Loyal Friend and True.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:56:15 PM by TPIRFan1986 »
Season 41...
TPIRFan1986's Season 41 DSW Counter: 2
TPIRFan1986's Double Overbid Counter: 5

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:30 PM »
How about something neither candy or rock for the Halloween Bailout, like "apple"?
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
Ah! there it is! Did you change the name at some point?

Oh, and btw, Bully, Mimi Bobeck is not a recurring character on WLIIA, but one of the regular characters on "The Drew Carey Show".

I corrected that mistake you're talking about.  As for the name change, it's still "The Golden-Road.net Survival Guide"; I just changed the URL address to it.  :hammer:
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »
There's also sprig of holly and lump of coal for win & loss for Christmas episodes.
ALL HAIL (contestant's name) is when the 6th contestant wins a game when the previous 5 have lost.
HOW COULD YOU (contestant's name) is when the 6th contestant loses a game when the previous 5 have won.

Also, what does IIRC mean?

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
Also, what does IIRC mean?

If I remember correctly, it's "If I Remember Correctly"...  :biggrin:

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »

Skunked! = The rarely winless pricing game day earns Joe a visit from Pepe Le Pew.  Sometimes called "El Skunko!"

Ultimate Skunked! = The even rarer winless pricing game day plus a double overbid showcase. Occasionally called "The Mother of Pepe Le Pew" by a handful.

Technically, an "El Skunko" is the same thing as "Ultimate Skunked".  Regular "Skunked' has no other special meaning
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 09:38:56 PM »
What constitutes a "skunk" is a consistent gray area on this forum.  Many of us have different ideas on what to consider a "skunk".  Some will not call an 0-for-6 show a "skunk" if, say, a contestant punches $5,000 on the Punchboard or another contestant wins the first two prizes in Golden Road.

On the other side of the coin, if more than $10,000 (but less than $50,000/$100,000) is won in Plinko and the other 5 games in that show are won, it is not officially considered a perfect show.  But in the recaps, Capitano refers to any Plinko playing where at least one chip lands in the big money as a "win", so we have a phrase for such situations:  "6-for-6, purists notwithstanding".
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »
I corrected that mistake you're talking about.  As for the name change, it's still "The Golden-Road.net Survival Guide"; I just changed the URL address to it.  :hammer:

Yeah, it's the URL I meant, not sure why I wrote "name" ... Guess it's cuz I'm French ... :P
Anyhoo, good job with the guide! I learned a few things, though I've been there for a few years!

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »
When you click on the link, where it says "Drew", it still goes to Bob Barker.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
When you click on the link, where it says "Drew", it still goes to Bob Barker.

I know; it's an error that I can't figure out how to fix though...  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 11:13:18 PM »
How about adding to "You Can't Stop The DOB/Dom" the newly recent "Kingpin" font on some games (the new Pathfinder cards for example.)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 12:29:36 AM »
How about adding to "You Can't Stop The DOB/Dom" the newly recent "Kingpin" font on some games (the new Pathfinder cards for example.)

This season, we've only seen Kingpin (aka, the "More or Less font") applied to the showcase description cards, Secret X SP descriptions, and Pathfinder SP descriptions.  Not quite as 'contagious' as Dom Casual became, but we'll see how the rest of the season goes.  Will Kingpin spread like a California superfire or will Dom Casual continue to dominate?

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »
"Holly" and "Coal" are usually reserved for the last Christmas show.  Anyone have an idea for a bailout during that show?  I think "Pine cone" would be apt.  And with the historic first Holiday El Skunko back on December 18, 2007, we officially coined "Grinched!" for 0-for-6 pricing games and "El Grincho" for that historic event.

What about Valentine's Day? I say "Kisses" for the wins, and "Jilted" for the losses.  St. Patrick's Day (if there are shows being run) would have "Gold" for a win and "Shamrock" for a loss.  Easter would have "Basket" for a win and "Stinky Eggs" for the loss.

Now as for the bailouts in an 0-for-6, we could say "Technically a Skunk for the purists."

Add to "FR_S" the following:
  • "FRCS" (Cruise)
  • "FRVS" (Vacation) and its' cousin "FR#VS" (multiple vacations, insert "2" or "3" where the "#" is)
  • "FRSS" (snowmobile)
  • "FRHTS" (Spa or hot tub).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:22:35 AM by phunguy »