Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/18/2007  (Read 61010 times)

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 12/18/2007
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
Oh, the pain, the shame.  Brandi and Rachael as Christmas Elves more than made up for that for their kawaii-ness.

When was the last time we had a Christmas Week El Skunko Grincho?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:09:22 PM by phunguy »
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »
Well, the good news for the Dob today is this show should really help him toward getting back on budget.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 04:29:44 PM »
"Man oh man - was this the first 0/6 for the Drew Carey era? Or did I forget others?"

November.  There was a skunk...and one showcase overbid, but then...

:dsw:

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »
When was the last time we had a Christmas Week El Skunko Grincho?
ooooh...I like your thinking!

I watched the show in fast-forward on my DVR...good thing too.  Seeing Safe Crackers for a car is always neat.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline bigdog444

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
Safe Crackers: $470 looked way better than $740 for the GPS thingie. Roger obviously did not want this game won today.

Money Game: $18,464 is an odd price, especially when you consider 64 wasn't the lowest possible choice for the last two numbers, nor was it adjacent to the first two numbers, rendering those common tricks useless. Roger obviously did not want this game won today.

Grand Game: With three items all looking like they could cost more than $5.00, Roger obviously did not want this game won today (though if I were playing I would have stopped him for a grand).

Clock Game: Though any smart player can win this game any time, with the sofa being much cheaper than it looks, your average Joe Plinko would have used up 10 or so seconds to get their bids below $1000, so Roger obviously did not want this game won today.

Card Game: A $21,000 car that even I thought was only around $18,000? Yep, I'm noticing a pattern...Roger obviously did not want this game won today.

Squeeze Play: The least logical-looking price for the trip being right? Say it with me now: Roger obviously did not want this game won today.

Showcases: A random trip in one and then the always-overbid-on Mustang coupe in the other? Roger obviously didn't want either showcase won.

My Showcase Bids:
Room/Trip - $16,280 (-$850)
Mustang - $24,150 (OVER)

SHOW RATING: 1.5 Goodson-Todman Asterisks. The skunking, the double overbid in the showcase, the less-than-steller game selection (no reason why there couldn't be an SP game today IMNSHO), and my subjective opinion that The Dob wanted a complete skunking makes this the worst show in several years. The only thing keeping it from receiving a 1 (the worst grade I give out) was that Drew's hosting performance was amazing today.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:05:20 PM by bigdog444 »

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »
Poor Drew!  It sounds like he had laryngitis, a cold, or the flu today.  It's tough for me to work at an office in front of a computer when I'm that sick, so I feel for Drew hosting a high energy tv show while under the weather.

To compound the problem, we had a... yeap, an el Skunko! 

I don't get a chance to watch the Xmas episodes much.  When Bob was hosting, did he make a big deal out of the fact that it was Christmas week?  To me, it seemed like a regular show with Christmas Decorations (and, yes, a neat Second SC).  Certainly, it was a far cry from the Halloween episode, which was fantastic!

Final note: did you notice the giant Christmas wreaths behind the car during Card Game?  Those look awfully familiar...  like perhaps the podiums for a certain Bargain Bar  :oldlol:

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 05:25:31 PM »
Final note: did you notice the giant Christmas wreaths behind the car during Card Game?  Those look awfully familiar...  like perhaps the podiums for a certain Bargain Bar  :oldlol:

Those are not podiums, they're arches.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
Lauren (a 'so-called Aquarius Hottie', as Fieldsy said  :lol: )
Hey... they're mine. :-D

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 05:33:31 PM »
"Ooooh...I like your thinking!" (Quoted Image removed)

Great minds think alike...or just plain scary?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:59:37 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline AndyL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Andy's MovieZone
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »
Rats, I was beaten to the punch on saying the show was definitely GRINCHED today.  I'm surprised they didn't play "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" over the ending. 
"Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Don't you step on its skin
  Oh la la la la, hey, banana
  Womble up de rubbish and put it in de bin!"

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 05:55:55 PM »
Bank Robbery:  Wow!  Safey 1st for a truck!  Personally, I think the only time Safey should be played 1st is when it's played for an automobile (just like with Bonus and Shell).  That was a painful loss, especially considering that Linda originally went for $740 before the audience booed her out of it.

One-Bid #2:  Fireball Hottie #16--Briana! :P

Money:  Yep, I knew the back of the car would be 64, thanks to the PS/FP.  Drew was visibly frustrated that the second-straight car game was lost, as he tossed off the cards looking for the back half.

Power of 10:  Tough choice between the cleaner and the body wash.  Once again, the audience leads the contestant into the wrong one.  Kaboom is the perfect word to describe this first half of the first show of Christmas Week.

SCSD #1:  $1,000--the only highlight of the first half today.

All Prizes Under $999:  Lauren did not know how to play this game.  $325 on the spa?!  I can hear Bob shouting from his living room now:  "Lauren, what kind of a show do you think this is?!"

Clock Game: Ugh. Had to be one of the worst players of Clock Game I had ever seen in my lifetime - unless someone's got a vid of a worse player.

One word:  YouTube.

Card Game:  $1,000 range card = autoloss.  Especially when we're dealing with a $21,000+ truck.

Squeezy:  As a regular poster here would say, "Stale doughnuts for everybody!"  Skunk #2 in Drew's tenure.  I thought for sure that 4 was out of place.

SC #2:  Stage Willy!  A near-base-model Mustang coupe with a Dell computer will not break $22,500.

Was there a change to the script for SC2? I saw the closed captioning, and the tag in the CC mentioned something about "when they got their first union dues bill in the mail, the elves realized they were better off before complaining on the Price is Right". I have a feeling the network or someone made a change in post.

And you would be correct.  I would not have noticed that post-production change myself if Scott hadn't mentioned it in the chatroom this morning.

My showcase bids:
Random room/trip--$16,307
Mustang--$21,707

Result:  OMG!  An "El Skunko" on Christmas Week!  Technically, there were only two winners today.  Just like a famous Michael Moore movie, it was Roger and me.  Roger won TPIR with an "El Skunko", I won CSS with a blitz.  I'm glad Drew didn't hide his feelings about today's show:  "This show is killing me today... This is Drew Carey in Los Angeles, bummed out."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:58:16 PM by BRB_TheFireball »
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline logikreader

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 06:01:10 PM »
Those are not podiums, they're arches.

You're right!  That was very clever of the crew to use those for wreaths.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
I never said they repurposed the Barker's Bargain Bar props for the car backdrop... :rollold:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:01:51 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »
Sorry for not posting the the recap section, but WOW!  Talk about wipeout.  The first Carey show where both all 6 PG and showcases were winless. 

Safe crackers: I said $740 because that thing looked expensive to me.

GG: I said Kaboom on the last product.

Clock Game: $325 on the Spa?  "What kind of a show is this?"

Card Game: The baseline Nitro strikes another player.  It didn't help when you only had a $1000 range to play with.

SC1: I never imagined brian would be over by so little.

SC2: I knew a DO was here the second Charles said $26,200 on the Mustang.

Offline logikreader

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »
I suppose even if the actual bargain bar arches weren't used, they seemed similar.  It's silly to expound on the subject, and I'm sorry for making such a ridiculous observation.

---

I had a question for the crew.  On Monday a normal show was aired, but Tuesday was a Christmas show.  Any particular reason for this arrangement?  I assumed Xmas Week shows would be M-F.  I apologize if this was already covered in the FAQ.

for Grand Game: I was a little surprised that the contestant didn't choose the Kaboom!  The body wash was a good choice too, though, so in the end, it was a hard setup.  The way Drew went to reveal it, I think he was under the impression that he won.  so close! 

Speaking of "so close," Charles almost got the 10,000 dollars back at the big wheel!  I thought for sure he'd at least get 5,000 in the bonus spin.  Ah, but it was a smidge too hard.

Card Game: With only a $1000 cushion, this would have been tough to win anyhow, but drawing all those 2s was nuts!  I thought Diane played the game very well under the circumstances.