Author Topic: The Best of TPIR DVD Released 3/25/08  (Read 181834 times)

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Best of TPIR DVD Released 3/25/08
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 05:48:50 PM »
Judging by the Amazon.com tag, it might contain some Bill Cullen episodes as well. It would be nice to have a couple of Cullen's eps on DVD.

Hmmm....  I see what you're talking about.  I also see the director is Freemantle media. ???

But everything I've read say the episodes come from 1972-2007 --- Bill Cullen (and that version of Price, for that matter) were way gone by then.

And, personally, I think it'd be a waste of good DVD space to have Cullen episodes included.  The shows from his era were nothing like The 'New' Price is Right.  (Of course there were some similarities, but it was a MUCH different show.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:56:57 PM by PIR85 »

Offline bro

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »
I'm with you on that one, it is a waste of DVD space to have two of Bill Cullen's episodes, the only thing that would help is have the episode with him making a cameo appearance of the Barker's TPIR 1982 which is more better.

As for Cullen's 50s version, the DVD companies are going to have to go back to the drawing board for that. (That is just my imaginary thoughts - NOT the REAL IDEA!)

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 09:04:10 PM »
it will contain 20 episodes (According to the advertisement in the back of the Price is Right Book)

Except the picture of the cover art at Navarre's site says it will include twenty-six episodes, so there's apparantely been a change in that.

Hmmm....  I see what you're talking about.  I also see the director is Freemantle media. ???

These are the guys who also say that Stan's book was written by "Stan Blits and Stan Blitz."  I'd hardly take their word as gospel.

I know Barrett mentioned somewhere in the initial discussion the possibility of a Kennedy episode being included.  It would be nice to see the Cullen version as well, and even though we've had no word about such a possibility before now, I don't discount it as being a possibility; but we shall see.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline bro

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 09:29:25 PM »
26 episode? Are you sure? If that is true, that would be a good idea to see more Barker's TPIR episodes. Also considering of consisting 26 episodes, that might have to be a 5-DVD disc-set not 4.

Does anyone think that airdates will be shown on the DVD guide?

EDIT: I've decided to erase this part of that last message I post (even it is still there), I was really disappointed on that last message & I'll say this anyways, these opinoins were not about me, it was about US! & I'm keeping it that way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 05:44:05 PM by bro »

Offline djryan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
As mentionned for Kennedy's TPIR episodes to be added on the DVD set, not a good idea. Reason is that Barker's episodes are more important to us & we like to see more of the Daytime episodes to like "make-up" for the shows we missed & trading tapes as well.

THAT is my option.

Maybe more important to YOU.  Don't speak for the rest of us, please!  Certainly, the Barker eps are the popular choice!  It would be cool to see a Cullen show and/or a Kennedy show as an extra bonus feature on one of the discs!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:19:25 AM by djryan »
COME ON DOWN!

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »
It would be nice to see Kennedy and Cullen episodes, maybe even a Carey one in there. Maybe.

Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 09:51:03 PM »
Including a Carey episode would be asinine.  Why include a show that's been aired within the last three months when there are 35 years of Barker shows to pick from?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
Maybe more important to YOU.  Don't speak for the rest of us, please!  Certainly, the Barker eps are the popular choice!  It would be cool to see a Cullen show and/or a Kennedy show as an extra bonus feature on one of the discs!

I agree.  Maybe the general public would also get a kick out of seeing an episode hosted by someone else; they might not even know there were other hosts besides Bob and Drew.

Remember, this DVD is not being produced just for us here at the Golden Road Net... it's being made for everybody, even the more "casual" fans of the show.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 04:04:31 AM »
I personally want Barker-only episodes. It's the only Price I've ever known (except Drew) and I want as many classic Bob shows as possible. I was born in 1990 so I missed roughly 20+ years of Price; I've gotta make up for lost shows! lol
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline Turbo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
I'd love to see one or two Kennedy episodes; he's a great MC.  I've only seen the Perfect Switcheroo clip from TPIR, but I think he did a fabulous job on Password Plus.

Also, it would be nice to see a Cullen episode, and since the Match Game set included the '62 pilot, I don't see why they couldn't put one in...unless, of course, they're focusing on Bob.
PriceFanArmadillo: "When Voltron's in the audience, there are 1,153,908 reasons to listen."

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
I have to nip this in the bud here.  I have to side with Ryan here in the fact that there ARE other hosts than Bob, and I don't think the public is that stupid to think such a thing.  I know, everyone will come back with, "He's the most recognized" or "He made the show", but to ignore other hosts is just plain stupid.

I think we need to see some Dennis James episodes, personally.  Similarly, there are some exciting episodes of the Bill Cullen version, that could be a release in and of itself.

Please don't hate on other hosts or other versions.

Offline RickZ317

• In the Audience
    • WTBU Radio
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a Dennis James episode either.  Maybe from the shows he filled in for Bob in 1974?  I've enjoyed watching/listening to the shows of his I can find online.

-Rick Z

Offline Robair

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
Your big fat TPIR DVD update beckons.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Price-Right-The-Best-Of/8760

Yes, Uncle Bill will be in the hizouse, as well as Barker's final entire week, and what is billed as Bob's "very first" episode. Grain of salt there since it kicked off with a fur.

26 episodes.
We'll think of a signature. Don't worry.

Offline MandDY53

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:53 PM »
The inclusion of Bob's final week is very disappointing, since they were on so recently (and easily could have been taped/recorded by viewers).  They could have used that time for more classic episodes...  :-?  At least there will be some Cullen episodes.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
I wonder if they'll release a list of the included episodes prior to the actual release of the DVD.  Did they do that with the Match Game DVD?

At least there will be some Cullen episodes.
The closest I've seen to a Bill Cullen PIR was an episode of The Flintstones where Barney Rubble appears as a contestant on "The Prize Is Priced;" when it's time for him to bid he says something like "Okay, I'll put in my two cents..." but before he can give his actual bid the host locks Barney's bid in at two cents.

(Yes, Barney won the prize.   :-) )

what is billed as Bob's "very first" episode. Grain of salt there since it kicked off with a fur.
This has been asked before, by me, and I'm sure by others - does Bob Barker still have any say over matters such as this?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.