Author Topic: Hannah Montana Essay Winner Faked It All Along  (Read 5697 times)

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
Re: Hannah Montana Essay Winner Faked It All Along
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 05:04:19 AM »
Joe, the folks at bloggingolbermann.com called.

They have politely asked to join them in the future.
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
I too was disgusted to see that girl winning Hanna Montana tickets by faking her father's death.  I truly think this family should NEVER be allowed to enter another contest ever again.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »
I read where the mother said "We did whatever it took to win" or something similar. Great way to set an example for your child...it's only cheating if you get caught.

I agree that the tickets should be taken away, but a lawsuit by the mother would very likely follow. Disgusting.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 12:09:51 PM »
I read where the mother said "We did whatever it took to win" or something similar. Great way to set an example for your child...it's only cheating if you get caught.

I agree that the tickets should be taken away, but a lawsuit by the mother would very likely follow. Disgusting.

The kind of impression that I most likely get from this is that the mother is determined to have these tickets for her daughter no matter what the cost, and if they do the right thing by taking the tickets away from her daughter and giving them to someone who really had a father die in Iraq, then the mother will sue to get the tickets back or at least get damages. I also get the impression that no matter how hard the gavel is brought down against the mother (which, IMHO, should happen), she will still pursue the tickets.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:06:16 PM by b_masters8 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I think the whole thing is funny.  From what little I've seen of it, Hannah Montana is a moronic show to begin with, and the girl's mother is an utter dumbass for coming up with a concept like this (and you darn well know it wasn't the kid's idea).  She clearly has no concept of what is and isn't important, and I think it's hilarious that she got caught.

I do feel a little sorry for the girl, though, 'cause she's probably going to lose her tickets over something that wasn't her decision, and she's being raised by idiots.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 04:24:40 PM »
And she did lose the tickets. According to AOL, the prize "has been withdrawn" and the tickets given to someone else.  Good!  I'm glad she got caught as well...shows what an idiot the mother is.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 05:56:21 AM »
"And she did lose the tickets. The prize 'has been withdrawn' and the tickets given to someone else.  Good!  I'm glad she got caught as well...shows what an idiot the mother is."

Proof in the pudding, with new and improved video goodness:

http://wbztv.com/watercooler/hannah.montana.essay.2.620062.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:58:58 AM by phunguy »

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 06:04:20 AM »
The story was on CBS's early-morning news this morning. They said that the mother told the contest organizers it was fiction all along.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 10:17:34 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I think the whole thing is funny.  From what little I've seen of it, Hannah Montana is a moronic show to begin with, and the girl's mother is an utter dumbass for coming up with a concept like this (and you darn well know it wasn't the kid's idea).

Call me a cynic, but I thought the whole thing was a bit distasteful even if the story had been true.  I understand the idea of giving gifts to people involved in tragedies that will affect their lives or giving terminally ill children the chance to do something they've always wanted while they're still with us.  But the very notion that you could take a kid whose daddy was violently killed in a war and cheer her up with concert tickets... well to me, that's almost offensive.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:48 PM »
I fail to see any humor in this whole story Steve and Axl.

First off, I agree with Steve that Hannah Montana is purely pablum puking IMHO, quoting the late Morten Downey, Jr.  Disney Channel dumbed themselves down when they went basic and instead of keeping the family audience went for what they call "consumer lifestyle" types.  By name, girls between eight and thirteen years of age who do not hold jobs by law.

Axl, I disagree with you in principal on the whole thing about cheering up a kid who had a dad or mom killed in war with concert tickets, even if it was scammed by the Mother of the Year in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.  Do you wonder why some celebs out of their own pocket decide to put on concerts (or get them seats to such events) for those whose parents were killed in such things?  The reason is to bring some sunshine into a situation of sadness that was out of their control.

In other words, life happens.  Live with it.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »

The mommy who duped everyone apologized on Today this morning (1/4/08).

Mother Apologizes For "Hannah Montana" Hoax

Too late!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:48:00 PM by phunguy »

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
I fail to see any humor in this whole story Steve and Axl.

When did I ever say I found the situation funny?  Quite the opposite, in fact.

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »

The mommy who duped everyone apologized on Today this morning (1/4/08).

Mother Apologizes For "Hannah Montana" Hoax

Too late!

Too late indeed.  :-D
CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!