Author Topic: "$1350, Bob!"  (Read 4327 times)

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
"$1350, Bob!"
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:18:22 PM »
I was watching yesterday's show on Innertube when I heard poor Sean during the second IUFB, he called out his bid and then stuck "Bob" onto it...it made me realize how often this still happens even though the new season is months old.  Makes me kinda wonder why--for my part I think it's just been ingrained in American culture to tack that name onto it when you're down in bid row.  Just wanted to hear what everybody else thought about this?

I still chuckle when it happens...
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: "$1350, Bob!"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 06:33:08 PM »
Some people probably get caught up in the one in a lifetime excitement of being in contestants row, while others are just seeking attention for themselves.  It was funny the first few times, but I feel like it's no longer witty anymore.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »
I think a lot of people are still in "adjustment mode".  They're probably so used to saying "Bob" for everything TPiR-related it is just a habit.  I imagine that, over time, this will improve (although, you're right, mlh, some will probably do it just for attention).  I still think its kinda funny.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »
Here is a good question. How often during TPiR's first season did contestants accidentally call Bob "Bill?"
I support The Price is Right.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
Here is a good question. How often during TPiR's first season did contestants accidentally call Bob "Bill?"

Add to this: How often were Dennis James, Tom Kennedy, and Doug Davidson addressed as "Bob?"
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline theworstboy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 09:42:54 PM »

The big difference, though, is that there were some seven years between the last broadcast of Bill's Price is Right and Bob's first... not a weekend.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »
Fortunately, it seems that Drew is taking it in stride... he even seems to get a kick out of it.  Maybe it's because Drew has a comedian's background... if the new host was a "professional host," a Todd Newton or someone along those lines, I wonder if he'd be taking it as cool.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 11:24:43 AM »
I still expect to hear Bob Barker's name at the start of the show when Rich Fields introduces Drew.

35 years of hearing the same introduction is a hard habit to break.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »
Fortunately, it seems that Drew is taking it in stride... he even seems to get a kick out of it.  Maybe it's because Drew has a comedian's background... if the new host was a "professional host," a Todd Newton or someone along those lines, I wonder if he'd be taking it as cool.

He probably would.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:27:38 AM »
I happen to agree with you, cu2010.
I'm sure people are still trying to get used to Drew being the new host.

I think a lot of people are still in "adjustment mode".  They're probably so used to saying "Bob" for everything TPiR-related it is just a habit.  I imagine that, over time, this will improve (although, you're right, mlh, some will probably do it just for attention).  I still think its kinda funny.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
Drew takes it very well.  Some people just slip up while others do it on every bid -those people, to me anyway, are kind of insulting.  Sort of like, if you went to a Mary Wilson concert with a big "WE LOVE YOU DIANA" poster.  I am glad to see Drew has a good sence of humor.