Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/07/2008  (Read 14749 times)

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 01/07/2008
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »
Barker's Bargain Bar - The fact that the bargain prices were so close made it easy to apply the "furthest from LA rule."
Dice Game - Pretty fortunate rolls here, although with 3 of those "only one way to lose" rolls I half-expected a loss here.
Coming or Going - I don't know how I knew it was $7596, but I did.
Hole in One - I can't remember the last time I saw a lefty in this game. If I ever get a cat, there's no way I'm buying cat food that only costs 79 cents a can.
Make Your Move - I didn't like the cue used for this game today, although I know they can't use the same cue all the time. I had the smoker and bed swapped.
Secret X - This was a loss for me. It's never on the bottom row, unless it's on the bottom row.
Showcases - Being unable to play CSS today was a blessing in disguise, although had my bids been switched I would've been within $2000 on both.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »
It was pretty interesting to see Drew sprint towards Rachel, I also liked Rich's delivery of "And now, here's the star of The Price is Right, Drew Carey!" it seemed much more enthusiastic than before.

Kevin was very excited to be on the show, I liked how he and Drew jumped together.  I also like how Drew let him host for a few seconds and exchange glasses.  I found his wind-ups entertaining to watch. 

Also, I noticed Drew placed the six to have the dots go horizontally instead of vertically, interesting.  Usually, sixes are placed with the dots vertically.

Personally, I don't know why Coming or Going was lost, $7,596 looks so much more right than $6,597.

Dominique was getting a bit ahead of herself when the wheel was slowing down, it looked like it would continue to 15¢.  I enjoyed watching her celebration when she won $1,000.

Sean probably was very embarassed when he kept saying "Bob" after his bids, I thought it was very hilarious for Christine to rub it in his face by saying "Drew" after her bid.

Cynthia was full of excitement when she made her guesses in Hole in One.  It was a darn shame that Drew did not sink his inspirational putt.   I loved her celebration when she won.

Also, that was an interesting view of Cynthia on her putting, has anyone ever turned their back to the camera when they putted?

Is it just me, or has that cue during bidding round #5 not been heard in a long time?

This is just as bad as when Sam is not played for Ten Chances, cue 210A was not used in Make Your Move!  Although, I do like the presentation of all three prizes at once when Rich said "And there they are, Drew!"

The Secret X losing streak continues, so far this season, and when will Roger move the secret X out of the bottom, or when will someone place the X's to make a win along the bottom row?  Only time will tell....

Yay, Starcrossed was played in the first showcase!  It's great that James won his showcase, like his mother did some years ago. 

Also, I did not like how Bart included the empty eggcrate displays when cutting to the contestants' reactions, looked too out of place from the close-ups we're used to.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »
Boy, Coming or Going was pretty much a tossup.  The choices were separated by less than $700, and neither one looked more like a real price than the other.

Unless it happened back in the '70s, this might well be the first time Hole in One has ever been played fourth.

The cue used for the prizes in Make Your Move today just sucked.

Speaking of Make Your Move, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it was a forced win today, but it was darn close.  Of the six choices, two of them were impossible because they made a price start with a zero, and of the remaining four, the right answer was the combination that gave the bed the least ridiculous price.

Does Roger, like, never want Secret "X" to be won again or something?  Of the three playings this season in which the center column was revealed, they all had the X in the bottom.

Ah, the return of Frank's favorite ice cream sandwiches! :oldlol:

Did anyone notice that Sean was among the people who rushed the stage after James won the Showcase?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »
BBB: I also went with Cancun as well. We all sure was duped. :-P

IUFB #2: Who's the host?  :-D

Dice: Kevin trying on Drew's glasses. Hilarious. A much-deserved win.

IUFB #3: Sean, Are you sure you haven't lived under a rock for 6 months?  :oldlol:

CoG: Too bad.

Hole: Fourth?!?! Who thought we would see the day? I'm sure Drew's inspiration putt will improve soon. Impressive 2nd putt for Cynthia. Good win.

MYM: Boy, that music cue was downright awful. Good win.

Secret: Lady Luck didn't smile at Sean on that poor loss.

Showcases: The car in the Splendido showcase was a surprise. The  :frts: was tricky. No surprise.

A 3-star show.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
PG #1-The bargain prices were only separated by $79!  I thought it was a bit tough.

PG #2-Great rolls and a nice win.

PG #3-Not as easy as it is most of the time.  Both looked correct.

PG #4-Awww, Drew missed his inspiration putt again; hopefully he'll make it one day.  I liked Drew's commentary when revealing the "...or Two."  Cynthia nails it on the 2nd try.

PG #5-That cue that they used didn't fit at all in Make Your Move.  When I first heard the cue, I got the impression that a car was about to be revealed.  However, I liked when Rich said "And here they are, Drew!" after describing the prizes.

PG #6-Roger hasn't been very nice in Secret "X" this season.  All 3 times it's been aired, the X has been at the bottom.  And all 3 times, the contestant has lost.

Showcases-Like mother, like son: James continues the family tradition by winning big on Price.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline bigdog444

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 12:24:45 AM »
Bargain Bar: A bit on the tough side, but the Distance Rule would have worked yet again.

Dice Game: Good thing Kevin rolled a 2 for the third number and 5 for the fourth. If it was the other way around, this game would have most likely ended in disaster.

Coming or Going: Basically a coin flip...

Hole In One: Drew made a great effort with his inspiration putt; a little softer and he would have nailed it. I was also afraid that Cynthia's second putt would bounce out, but luck was on her side.

Make Your Move: Pretty much a giveaway...as long as you knew the bed would be in the $4000 range, which most people I'd imagine would think, you had this playing in the bag.

Secret "X": Once again Roger just had to put the secret X in the Shadoe Stevens position. One of these days he will be shocked by a contestant who actually goes for the bottom row.

Showcase Bids:

Starcrossed - $23,400 (-$1900)
 :frts: - $25,500 (-$6034)

SHOW RATING: 3.5 Goodson-Todman Asterisks

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
Today's show
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
I wasn't able to catch today's show, but it is nice to see both car games were won.  It's rare to see Hole in One (or any other car game) played right after the 1st Showcase Showdown.

I guess we had another :frts: instead of an automobile in the Showcase round because both car games were won or the games were made easy to win.

After rechecking the results, a third car (Dodge Caliber) was offered and won.  That makes it a hat trick for automobiles.  All three were won!  :)

Only 15 days 'till I see the show live!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:40:38 AM by Train »

Offline DrLove0378

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
I don't have very many comments for today, but I can't recall a time in Make Your Move when the correct arrangement was two-digit, three-digit, four-digit -- in that order.  It would seem as if that COULDN'T be right!

I don't think that Strobel, the company that supplied the mattress, has been around all that long, but their product art card has an OLD look to it.  Kinda like something from the 70s or 80s.

And I never knew until today, that they HAD a left-handed putter for Hole in One... or Two.  I had never seen a left handed player in this game before, and wasn't sure whether Cynthia could do it... but she came through a winner!  (She had better be thankful this wasn't the "old" Hole in One...)

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 03:42:33 AM »
A good show today and some funny moments.  Sean called Drew "Bob" after each of his first three one-bids, and I (and Drew, from his laughs) enjoyed Christina's jab at him following the third time.

BBB: I would've picked Cancun as well...

CoG:  That was a very tough setup, but I selected "coming" in the end.

Hole:  Maybe it's time Drew practiced his putting skills...he hasn't sunk a putt all season, and it's bounced out almost every time.  I was worried for Cynthia after her first putt went awry (and she's a golfer?!?).

MYM:  The 0 helped place the phone at 70, but I wavered for a bit on the placement of the other two before settling on the choices James made.

X:  Most people never pick the bottom row...

Showcases:  The car in the first showcase surprised me...from the music cue, I thought it would be car-less.  I overbid on both showcases.

Did anyone notice that Sean was among the people who rushed the stage after James won the Showcase?

I did... I was going to mention that, actually.  James and Sean seamed to celebrate quite a bit when James got called down, and I recalled them both coming from about the same spots in the audience.  So it looks like two separate groups had two contestants selected from them today.

And I never knew until today, that they HAD a left-handed putter for Hole in One... or Two.  I had never seen a left handed player in this game before, and wasn't sure whether Cynthia could do it...

I've seen left handed player before, putting with backside to the audience--but I've never heard any reference to the show having a left-handed putter.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 11:46:11 AM »
Did anyone else notice that after Kevin won the car in Dice Game and started jumping up and down, his glasses flew out of his T-shirt? The last thing Drew said to him was, "Oh, you broke your glasses. Don't worry, we'll fix that."

I wonder if they got fixed? I didn't see him with them in the Showcase Showdown.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »
The Price is Right Season 36, Game #48 (#6,780)

Showcase #1
Magnussen Biltmore Dining Room and Noritake Chatelaine Platinum Whitebone China and Alere Stemware - $8,055
"It's It" Ice Cream Sandwiches - I know it didn't appear in Season 35, and I checked Season 34, none there.  Let's take the ol' Wayback Machine to May 20, 2005 as Shane Stirling modeled her 2,082nd prize, which was the last time the "It's It" Ice Cream Sandwiches aired.  It is $1,120 unless the dining room's price has dropped by $320.  Oh, and "It's It" Ice Cream is turning 80 this year.
Dodge Caliber - $16,125

Showcase #2
Trip to Brussels - $9,618
Fleetwood Pegusus 210FQ Travel Trailer (first appearance, second airing, both aired appearances have trips so far) - The price of $19,241 listed on December 21 was based on a 2007 model.  Both appearances were actually 2008 models and are $20,916.

Your Modeling Scorecard for January 9, 2008, one year since comic books appeared in a showcase with a trip to Vero Beach
Rachel Reynolds
Total:  $23,013
What the contestants won:  $2,576, 4
What the contestants lost:  $20,437, 4

After 29 episodes
Prizes:  265 (180-85)
Cars:  31 (15-16)
Trips:  18 (8-10)
Season modeling total so far: $1,583,673

Brandi Sherwood
Total:  $63,784
What the contestants won:  $37,661, 7
What the contestants lost:  $26,123, 2

After 45 episodes
Prizes:  410 (273-137)
Cars:  43 (15-28)
Trips:  35 (22-13)
Season modeling total so far: $2,031,067! Yipe!

Tamiko Nash
Total:  $66,071
What the contestants won:  $41,644, 4
What the contestants lost:  $24,427, 3

After 10 episodes
Prizes:  75 (50-25)
Cars:  11 (6-5)
Trips:  9 (4-5)
Season modeling total so far: $583,004

Your 23 prizes total $140,389.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
  • Just Brian Sapinski... for now
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »
Gladiators reference? I don't know about that. "Run[ning] the gauntlet" is a little too generic a phrase, but for the time it came out, works for me.

And speaking of Sean, I'm still hanging my head in mock shame. Not once, not even twice... THREE TIMES?! Any rips I can make about that are just dying on my tongue. Perhaps it's better that way.