Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/27/2006 (Season 34 Finale)  (Read 42198 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/27/2006 (Season 34 Finale)
« on: June 27, 2006, 02:06:43 PM »
Production #3661K - Taped June 6, 2006
(Rescheduled from June 12, 2006)

Bob: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Off camera

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Brandi Sherwood and Shane Stirling
Wearing: WWW

1  Coleman Tailgating Package (S)
VICKI 790   PHILIP *800   KATY 700   SETESA 650   ($806)

Philip plays SPELLING BEE for a Chevy Colbalt LS (Std., Mats, ALB, Sealer)(B)($14,064)

Free Card                                               ( 8)  C  C--
Free Card                                               ( 5)  A  CA-
(Back To Basics) Hot Drink Dispenser  $30  $38  - 8  *  (24)  R  CAR  WIN!
CD Rack                                25   27  - 2  *  ( 2)  R
(KitchenAid) Food Chopper              20   18  + 2  *  (22)  R

All of the above picks come with some significance. In order: the channel number of
the Las Vagas affil, how old he was when he started watching AND the channel he
watched on back then, how old he is now, the channel number of the Winston-Salem, NC
station, and his brother's age.

*** HURRY-UP OFFENSE IN EFFECT ***

2  Johnston 3 pc Bar Set/Gold Bond Cream (P-aboard "Chugs")
+Vicki 1300   CYRUS 1035   +Katy 1200   +Sitesa *1900   ($2910)

Sitesa plays PUSHOVER for an American 14.6 Day Sailer (B)

Setup:   8 6 2 5 7 3 2 1 0
Pick:   [8 6 2 5]
Price:   $7321   LOSS

3  Ivanko Color Dumbells (B + P&S w/greyhounds)
+Vicki *659   Cyrus 410   +Katy 550   PETER 400   ($699)

Vicki from Phoenix, AZ plays SWITCH? for two trips...

Anchorage (6n @ Millennium)(S)     $3288     NO     $3288
Acapulco (6n @ Romano Palace)(B)   $2036   SWITCH   $2036   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1
$ 2,950   Sitesa   95 stay   .95   Through to Showcase Round
  6,023   Vicki    85 +  5   .90
 14,953   Philip   85 + 40    OV

4  2 Yamaha Folk Acoustic Guitars (S)
ANNA 450   Cyrus *500   +Katy 700   Peter 800   ($600)

Cyrus from Oregon plays CHECK OUT for an Ashley Santa Barbara Dining Group and Fiesta
Dinnerware (B)($3452)
                                        Cyrus    MSRP   Diff
Hot Pockets (2 pk)                     $ 2.89  $ 2.49    .00
Purina Cat Chow (bag)                    4.99    3.99  +1.00
(Dole) Pineapple Slices (15 oz)          1.79    1.79    .00
(Nabisco Chips Ahoy!) Cookies (snack)     .99     .55  + .44
Gold Bond Powder                        6.99    8.99  -2.00
                              TOTAL    $17.65  $17.81  - .16   WIN!

Most impressive playing of this game in a long time.

5  Howard Miller Galleria Wall Clock (B&S)
Anna 1   SEAN *1350   +Katy 1300   Peter 1000   ($2020)

Sean from Edgemont, SD plays ONE AWAY for a Ford Mustang (Std., Seat, Alarm, WheelLock)(P)

Setup      1st Try     2nd Try      Price
2 0 4 2 0     1 5 3       1             5
3 1 5 3 1   2 2 6 4 0   2 2 4 2 0   2 0 6 2 0
4 2 6 4 2   3       1   3   5 3 1   3 1   3 1
             3 RIGHT     LOSS

Well, this is it. The last show of the season, the last One-Bid, and perhaps the last
person to be banished to the "First Four" Breakfast Club until proceedings reconvene.
Nobody likes to be the last of most things, and Katy certainly doesn't want this
'last'. Will she stave off this awful fate?

6  (Frigidaire) Stainless Range (P)
Anna *801   DANIELLE 1500   +Katy 550   Peter 800   ($1300)

Katy heads off to the clubhouse while Anna from Georgia plays RANGE GAME for an (LG)
52" Projection HDTV (B&S)

Scale:   $2600-3200
Range:   $2857-3007
 $2799   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #2
$1,300   Anna    85 stay   .85
 2,020   Sean    85 stay   .85
 4,052   Cyrus  100       1.00  *$1000*  Bonus 60   Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Cyrus has the honor.

SC1-Cyrus      OLIVIA OVERKILL (S)
BID   $24,600   Beachcomber Hot Tub (P)
PRICE    34,776   Trip to Rome (6n @ Grand)(B)
DIFF   -10,176   Dodge Ram 1500 (Std., AT, V8, Seat, AirBag)(S)
TOTAL   $ 5,052

SC2-Sitesa   Broyhill Painters Bedroom Group
BID   $14,000   Comfortaire Royal Duchess Sleep Set (P)
PRICE    16,467   7 Paricon Sleds/Toboggans
DIFF    -2,467   Yamaha RS90 Vector GT Snowmobile (B)
TOTAL   $19,417

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $48,765

FOR THE SEASON (Preliminary Totals):
Pricing Games: 500 for 1049 (with 1 No contest) (47.62% - 25 below .500, 16 below last season)
Total Winnings: $11,135,541 ($11,940 ahead of last year)

There you have it folks. Price Season 34 has reached the finish line. Somehow we beat
last year's tally by just a hair. I had my doubts, but we did it. Anyway, the time has
come to shutter things up for awhile. As usual, we dole out the thank yous to...

- Bob Barker, whose service to this show and the entire TV industry is indelible,
- Roger Dobkowitz, who continues to amaze us even when we think we have him beat,
- The models - regulars Lanisha Cole, Phire Dawson, Gwendolyn Osbourne, Rebecca Mary
    Pribonic, Rachel Reynolds, Brandi Sherwood, Shane Stirling, and Gabrielle Tuite,
    plus one-timers Aly Sutton, Mylinda Tov and Nikki Zeno - underappreciated and
    undeservedly uncredited as they may be, for adding their beauty, style and class
    to the proceedings...especially at those times when we really need it,
- Rich Fields, for putting his vocal stamp on the goings-on,
- The Price staff for all their organizational work,
- The technical and backstage crew of Studio 33, too numerous to mention, for keeping
    this well-oiled machine chugging along,
- Marc Green and company for staking enough claim on the web for this forum to even
    exist,
- And, finally and most importantly, all of you for hanging in here with me all
     season, despite my occasional screwups and such.

The next time we meet will be the day Price Season 35 begins - somewhere around or in
the second half of September (either the 18th or 25th). Interestingly enough, about
the time this show goes off the air in Hawaii production commences on same - and
when's the last time that happened? Let's hope things stay on schedule from this
point. For those interested, the summer rerun schedule through late August is posted
to the Anomalies/Reruns sticky in this forum. Check it out and enjoy.

With that, having finally and in no particular order completed our tasks, Price Season
34 is now adjourned sine die. See you in September, gang!

...and then, there were none.

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/27/2006 (Season 34 Finale)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »
In Spelling Bee, Philip was referring to WFMY, the Greensboro, NC CBS affiliate.  As those who watch Price on "channel 2" know, the former station manager there had a tendancy to regularly interrupt programming at any time for local breaking news, seemingly caring not the severity.

Back in the day when game shows started at 10am on CBS, one watching WFMY could miss the entire morning lineup of games just because of a miles-long traffic backup on Interstate 40.

Back on topic, that was a great playing.  Hats off to Philip in Spelling Bee and Cyrus in Check Out.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 02:22:56 PM »
Great show to end the season today. Great contestants, Bob was great, everything about the show today was great.

Spelling Bee: Fantastic, enjoyed Bob and Philip's banter and Bob's explaining why Philip chose as he did. Congrats to a loyal friend and true. Hands down (IMO) Philip is the best contestant of the day.

BTW: Was it me or did things get back on time very quickly after Pushover and Switch??

BBTW: It isn't very often the quickies are played back to back. Not that I mind either it just gets them out of the way that much sooner.

Switch?: I would have Switched and lost. Goes to show what I know.

Check Out: Wow, when's the last time we saw a playing this impressive? Cyrus was quick and decisive with his decisions.

One Away: In my opinion, this should not have been lost today. At least I didn't think it should.

Range Game: I thought that TV was around $3000 myself. Boy,was I wrong.

Showcases: I thought around $31,000 for the truck showcase and $16,000 for the snowmobile. I was right in my thinking as it turned out. Cyrus's reaction said it all when Bob revealed the ARP of his showcase.

Anyways, great show today, too bad this ends it for the summer but there's always reruns to hold us over till September. Great job with the recaps Joe as always.

I'll now begin the countdown until the new season. Ciao.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
I'd say if I had to choose 2 contestants for Contestant of the year, Cyrus & Phillip would be chosen.

Well, I know there won't be any new recaps for the show until close to the end of september, so I'll occasionally come in and check in on you guys. If you want to join me in any TPIR wrestling (just for fun) in the chatroom, let me know! (snickering laugh)

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »
Philip made Spelling Bee more interesting than it's supposed to be!  He was likably insane, and he had all those odd reasons for picking each of the numbers he was choosing !

Anna was very enjoyable too, particularly her little chat with Bob after she came on down.  It's really too bad she didn't have any luck once on stage.

Cyrus was enjoyable too, and seemed so on-the-ball with Check-Out, so I'm glad he managed to win it.  He seemed to lowball on his showcase bid, but then again, it was a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be.  I thought for sure the showcase had to be over $40,000.

Well, it took all the way until the very last newly-shown playing of a pricing game this season, but we actually got to see Range Game revealed properly, as Anna was coming on stage!  And it's even cooler when they do the zoom-out thing for the Range Game reveal, like they did today!  So yay!

And I wouldn't mind for Olivia Overkill do more overkilling, coming all the way to New Orleans just to meet me !

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:30:45 PM »
Spelling Bee-Philip was a great contestant.  I liked how he had a reason for picking a certain number.  Now, he can go home with a car.

Push Over-I thought the boat was $8625.  I was dead wrong.

Switch?-Seeing how airfare to Acapulco is cheap, I knew they should stay where they were.

Check Out-Wow!  Only 16 cents off!  That is one of the best playings ever.

One Away-I knew he lost.  That Mustang did not seem like it was $22,000.

Range Game-I thought the TV was around $3000.  I was wrong.

Showcases-I thought the Truck showcase would be more expensive.

Overall, a good show.

Can't wait 'til September!
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 02:40:02 PM »
Spelling Bee: Ah, significance. Sometimes works on another show, doesn't it? If I was on, I would pick 2 also for the same reason. A great way to start this show with.

Push Over: I was looking for a price that ended in either 5 or 0. 3210 seems too low and 8625 seems too high. I was lost here.

Switch?: This time, paying attention to the distance rule made this easy for me to leave them.

Check-Out: Wow. Just wow. I probably would've had a hard time with the Cat Chow (between $3-$6) and the Gold Bond (around $6-$8, I said $7 for this one).

One Away: At first, I thought we would do good. When it was only three right, I wanted to change the 6 and 4 immediately. After seeing three 2s, I now figured we would be in trouble... and trouble we got. (...and gonna get)

The FFBC caught the Katy, and left me a mule to ride.....

Range Game: Sometimes I get caught up with that sound that I sometimes I do not pay attention to the numbers on the scale. When I noticed Anna stopping the Rangefinder a little higher than I expected, I had a feeling she might lose.

Showcases: It was kinda weird when the closed captioning called Sitesa "Front and Center" during the beginning of the segment. I had a feeling Cyrus might win this--I bidded 23 for this one. Oh, to be 10k short of a happy ending. ...

But I must say I also had a decent time with a season chock full of fun 'n games. There have been some great episodes and some that we may want to forget ([under breath] like the one on my 23rd birthday on 2-23-06). I also want to thank this wonderful show that entertained my school and work breaks, and basically gets my day going. I usually feel a little down if I missed (or tape) an episode. But I know I have several hundred (maybe even over a thousand episodes) to cheer me up. Thanks again. I am definitely looking forward into being a part of the next season even if all I do is watch and post on this great site. This Priceless Summer can help me organize which episodes I have this season and what to watch out for until Spetember.  Just great.

Now it's time for me to enjoy the summer in more ways than one!  Happy Summer everybody, especially those at CBS! 8-)
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 02:47:09 PM »
Joe, Cyrus' guess on the Hot Pockets was $2.89, not $2.49.  

Cyrus did very well with the playing although I didn't think he was going to win because that powder looked no where near $8.99.  I thought it was going to be around $5, but I knew he was either close or exact on everything else.  Philip was great also.  I liked his stories on the reasons for each of his card choices and of course he did well with the small prizes.  Shane's outfit in the first showcase was also really funny.

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 02:54:30 PM »
Spelling Bee:  Philip was a little hysterical for my tastes, but who am I to judge how people react when they participate in a once in a lifetime thing like being a contestant on The Price is Right.  He did play Spelling Bee well.  Has anyone ever had 3 or more Rs in their 5 card Spelling Bee hand before?  There are only 6 Rs in the distribution, and he had 3,a pretty rare occurrence.

Push Over:  I thought it was 8,625, along with Sitesa.  We were both wrong.  7,321 didn't see right to me, but it was.  That shows how much I know about pricing boats.

Switch?:  It was painfully obvious that the prices should not be switched.  This was made to win.

Check Out:  This was amazingly played.  Only $0.16 off, that's amazing.  I was $.99 off.  An amazing win.

One Away:  Three 2s would definitely be incorrect.  The 6 and the 4 should have been changed.  I first said 22,622 giving me 3 right, of course doing the "try to get only one number right" strategy.  I definitely would have changed the second 2 and the last 2, giving me a win.

Range Game:  I would have started my range at 2900, figuring the TV would be 2999.  I was incorrect, and so was Anna.  Oh well you can't win them all.

Showcases:  I definitely thought Cyrus lowballed.  24,600 wouldn't even cover the truck, let alone the spa and the trip to Italy.  I bit 34,166 off by 610.  It was no surprise that Sitesa won.

• Outside in Line
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 02:59:52 PM »
1. Spelling Bee: I think Philip's gone nuts! I've never seen someone this excited since Karen "Pool Table For Dan, Whammies You Can Drop Dead STOP!" Martin in a 1984 Press Your Luck episode! C-A-R! You'll NEVER stop the excited contestant revolution, Dob!
2. Push Over: In order to end the season--nope. Loss #1 of 6/27/06. Ouch. A car was won, but not a boat.
3. Switch?: YES! Another excited contestant! The Dob has 3 retries left (sorry for the video game reference--the word "retries" appears mostly in the Ridge Racer series).
SS#1: $.95 for Sitesa...wanted Philip to win the Showdown, but was MRRP!ed (bad!) But what's this? A NEW way to go to The Price is Right next season? Online? What happened to the "CBS Television City, 7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90036" running gag? This running gag made TPiR popular in its days, and now they're GETTING RID of it?!
4. Check-Out: Jim Ross (shouting): "The Dob is cheatin'! The Dob is cheatin'!"
This is the hardest game to win on TPiR EVER!! Someone get a WWE referee to disqualify The Dob! We don't need the stinkin' WWE ref, 'cause Cyrus Stopped the Dob. $.16 is the closest a player has gotten in the history of the game. Whew!
Check-Out: The aftermath - Did I hear Rich laughing in the background?
5. One Away: That Darn Dob is up to NO good again! (*Blooper committed--Bob failed to move one number and it was stuck*) He succeeded. Who would've thought that THAT Mustang was $20,620?! Has Bam Margera got to his ear again?!  
6. Range Game: Another Dob-possessed game with the Range Game running gag. I thought Anna was going to play Magic #, but boy was I wrong. THE DOB CHEATED AGAIN! I always like to say when Range Game is lost, "This NEVER happened to Bam Margera." 'Nuff said.
SS#2: Cyrus got $1,000--and STILL beat The Dob!
Showcases: Olivia Overkill? What's next--Jun Kazama? (Sorry--Namco won't let The Dob or Fingers get away with THAT! :-)
2nd Showcase: Another blooper committed (one of the mechanics failed to reveal the prize behind the snow equipment). Also this is the "runner-up wins" type episode. Awww...
Final Remarks: An OK episode--though I really think that TPiR naming a showcase character after Jun Kazama is WAY out of the question. Mind my great sense of humor--didn't mean to offend anyone.
MY SCORE: 6 (Two young contestants never made it out of Contestants' Row: -4, Philip NOT in Showcase: -2. The Dob lost ALL the points for cheating)

See 'ya in Season 35! ;-)

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 03:02:07 PM »
Congrats to our own TPIRCOUSIN on winning the last car of the season today in Spelling Bee!!!!  Now you know what he looks like, if you didn't catch me on today's show, I was the one in black shirt that Bob pointed out because I was going nuts for Phil in the audience!!  It was a great show and a great start to our fun filled TPIR week in LA!!  Congrats to you again Phil, and I am so EXCITED that I got to share your experience with you!!

jimlange

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 03:03:51 PM »
Of note as well, the channel 8 Philip said he watched was in Las Vegas, which is KLAS.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 03:21:22 PM »
PatrioticRacer wrote:  But what's this? A NEW way to go to The Price is Right next season? Online? What happened to the "CBS Television City, 7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90036" running gag? This running gag made TPiR popular in its days, and now they're GETTING RID of it?!

That's not a "running gag."  And the online ticket plug has been around for months.  Heck, it seems lately, they've only been showing the "classic" ticket plug once a week, on Wednesdays.  It's nothing new, really.

PatrioticRacer also wrote:  Check-Out:...This is the hardest game to win on TPiR EVER!!

Actually, lately, Grocery Game has been a lot harder.

PatrioticRacer continued to write:  Range Game: Another Dob-possessed game with the Range Game running gag. I thought Anna was going to play Magic #, but boy was I wrong. THE DOB CHEATED AGAIN! I always like to say when Range Game is lost, "This NEVER happened to Bam Margera." 'Nuff said.

...'nuff said?  I don't even understand what any of that meant!

And Racer, I don't think you understand what "beating" the Dob means.  Winning a pricing game or a showcase isn't stopping the Dob by itself.  It's only when a pricing game is set up to be lost, though the contestant wins it anyway.  There're a few other situations as well, like pricing game slotting, but for your purposes in using the expression, that's what you need to know.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »
Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Spelling Bee- Gosh, Philip, way to not show excitement. ;-)

Showcase Showdown #1- Ouch. The Big Wheel gets back to its evil ways on the last day of the season. Even worse, it shot down one of our own.

Check Out- Very well played. You can't do it much better than that.

Bidding Round #6- The 250th and final hottie of Season 34, Danielle! :-D

Showcase Showdown #2- I've finally figured the Big Wheel out... comment Bob, and it will be good to you. :-)

Showcase- Wow. A showcase on steroids to end the season. Cyrus got burned.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY- Philip. I believe that's the first time I've given this award to one of our own! :-)

SHOW SUMMARY AND GRADE- Not the most fantastic ending to the season, but still, it was nice... Grade: 2

Offline jokerz

• 10/17/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 03:49:01 PM »
what great season 34 has been!!! september can't come fast enough now...