Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/27/2006 (Season 34 Finale)  (Read 42203 times)

• Outside in Line
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/27/2006 (Season 34 Finale)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2006, 12:19:07 AM »
Sorry. That's my creative side. I like to get creative with my reviews after I've watched new episodes of TPiR. The key here would to be to just play along.

BTW: Congrats on that win, Phil! I'm thinking about nominating you for Best Season 34 Contestant.

Offline TPIRCOUSIN

• 6/27/2006
  • TPiR Alumnus
SPELLING BEE is MY FAVORITE GAME
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2006, 12:32:52 AM »
Thank you, sir.

Again, I'm very sorry for taking too long with the first game today. :-D

Online Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:04 AM »
TPIRCOUSIN shouted from the heavens:  SPELLING BEE is MY FAVORITE GAME

That is just wrong on so many levels.  Just 'cause you played it, and just 'cause you got a car out of it .

And yes, yes... as hard as it is to believe, I'm not Steve.  If I were Steve, I'd be gloating about how great a game Spelling Bee is, for one !

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 02:05:08 AM »
I so want to mention "League of Their Own" when describing Spelling Bee.

The chance of drawing a C, A, and 3 R's is about 1.7%.  Drawing a C, 3 A's, and an R (for demonstrative purposes) is nearly 6% more likely.  Just drawing three R's is only likely to happen once every 26 times.  (Incidentally, I set the likelihood of the "Triple Car Win"--C+A+R+CAR+CAR in any order--at 0.51%)

What does all that mean?  That win was damn impressive.

Who thought that they should give a title graphic to their idiosyncratic Showcase characters?  I honestly don't think it's worth it.  I guess it's kinda nice, but it almost seems like they're explaining the joke (whatever little joke there is).  Meh.

And incidentally, even if you assume all surfaces are sterile, would running a nut over with a truck still leave you with something inedible? :P

TANGENT TO CHECK-OUT: I thought the cat food was 1.59 and not 3.99 and my total ended up being 2.40 under.  ><

Anyway, that win was so good, I joked in chat that it was a "Double Check-Out Win".  Didn't go into the bells and whistles, but you get the idea.

Bob got shot down.  Priceless :D  OH SNAP!

You know, I think a penny win would be more impressive than an exact win.  I mean, any dedicated soul can regurgitate the prices; it takes a lucky sunuvagun to be off by a penny (or a jackhole who decides to be off on one product by a penny to prove a point)

It's 2AM so thinking's in short supply, so I'll end with this: If I were to reference video game characters, I'd use someone people actually knew, like Sephiroth or the Arbiter.  My roomate played Tekken for most of the spring semester and the only names I can remember are Jin, Hyorang and Xiayou.

Also, history has proven that people who excessively mention video games don't last long here.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
I've yet to watch this episode (it's on tape, and I'll watch it sometime today).. But I just wanted to offer a few thoughts... And it may turn into a bit of a speech, sorry. :-P

Phil, congratulations on not making it onto the show, but winning! I am certainly looking forward to seeing that. :)

Somebody give him a star! :lol:

Well, as Vin Scully says, that's all she wrote. Season 34 is now in the books. And what a season it's been... Great wins. Heartbreaking losses. Stupid contestants. Hilarious hijinks. A few malfunctions and blunders. And of course hundreds of zany Barkerisms... :lol:

And what a special season it's been for me. Just as Staples Center will never again be "Another damned shiny, sterile sporting venue with a corporate name" (as of June 3, 2006, it will forever be for me the Arena Of Dreams, the place where dreams come true, the place where this Madonna not only saw THE Madonna perform live, but for one brief moment crossed paths with her), Season 34 will not be just another number or another season, but THE Season Of Dreams...

It'll forever be the season where The Price Is Right went from being this magical, exciting TV show to a very real experience... Where I was able to watch the magic unfold before my very eyes... Where I sat in the same studio where Johnny, Rod, and Gene once did their thing - and did it so well... Where I not once but TWICE got a reaction out of Rich Fields for "doing the math" and telling him he's much younger than he really is... Where I asked Bob Barker about the price of his freaking pants because my readers haven't stopped "bidding on Bob's pants" since January!

I mean, if June 3 was the night that finally proved to me "Yes, Virginia, there really is a Madonna Ciccone!", November 16, ***5 was the day that proved "Yes, there really IS a Bob Barker!"

What a season, one I'll never forget, one that'll always hold a special place to me. The only things that could've made it more special would've been me stepping up on that stage, and Barker's Beauty for a day Mrs. Ritchie. :lol:

I want to offer some things of my own:

Bob, for another great season (as well as a few special memories of my own)

Rich, for the joy you do your job with (as well as your comments when I've made those wisecracks)

The Dob, for keeping us on our toes...

The models, of course, even though I can't keep up with half of you

The staff and "pit crew", for keeping this such a well-oiled machine

Mike/Starcade, for joining me on those three trips to Mecca

Joe, for the amazing recaps

All of you, for all your great replies and insight on what we watch unfold

Here's to another great season in the books, and let's hope we can kick off season 35 with a bang!  :-D
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline m724493

• In the Audience
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
I totally agree with edmojautis! Phillip, you did absolutly fabulous!!! I honestly nearly cried with you when you won!!... I'm so glad to see someone actually be that moved by a win!!!

Congrats!!! I hope you have a lot of fun with your new car!! I am sad though that you didn't get through to the showcase.  :-( But you certainally were one of the best contestants I've seen play this game!!!

YES!!! Give that boy a star!!!  8-)

Maybe some day I can get on the show like you!!  :-D

Enjoy the summer, guys!! See you next season!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2006, 11:03:42 AM »
Wow, that's neat that Marc has removed the chatroom from the main page now that the reruns have started.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »
Phil, you have no reason to be sorry for taking so long.  You took your time, played the game well, and you have a new car for your efforts!!  I don't really think anyone is going to be mad at you, jealous, but not mad lol.

jimlange

P.S.  That is so AWESOME that you had 2 more R's.  I didn't even know.  That car was marked for you!!

Offline TPIRCOUSIN

• 6/27/2006
  • TPiR Alumnus
I Respect That, Mark
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:33 AM »
Thanks a million, bro!

I want to thank you too, Jaimal.

I made a small mistake to Bob...I should have told him that I actually started watching Price probably when learned to walk to the TV, lol.

That's ok...I'm happy I got my car, and even though I wanted to win the showcase too or some extra money, I guess you can't win 'em all, like Pat Sajak might say on Wheel.

:-)

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
Philip, a very impressive win.  Don't worry about taking too long, as long as you win it doesn't matter.  Congratulations!

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2006, 03:48:42 PM »
"Actually, there are at least two shows where the contestant's totalled equalled the real total."

Just in case anyone is interested, one of those totals is $7.95, back in late 1991 or early 1992. The contestant had $7.06 going into the final item, and Bob commented about how he didn't think that was good, then a bar of soap was 0.89, and Bob said, "$7.95?!  You got it exactly right!!" in a state of disbelief.  I agree that Cyrus played well, but there have been MANY contestants closer than .16.  I was very glad when Roger disagreed with Bob on that one, made my day actually. :)

Offline Gatorman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 05:04:01 PM »
Thank you, Joe, for the recaps!

Interesting note: channel five in Las Vegas is KVVU-TV, which for a while became the only independent station in town before it took the Fox affiliation. I can only presume KVVU aired programming from CBS when KLAS-TV channel 8 preempted it.

Until some other time, all...!

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 05:22:49 PM »
Hey folks,
I'm starting to catch up on shows I've recorded but haven't watched. My schedule's changed from graveyard to afternoons so it's been a little tough to catch the shows lately, with that and other things I've had to take care of. Anyway...

Spelling Bee: That was a wonderful win.

TPIRCOUSIN wrote: Again, I'm very sorry for taking too long with the first game today.

Don't worry about it, Phil, you were a great contestant. I was glad to see you win. Quick Question, what channel 5 were you referring to? (My quick guesses: WRAL in Raleigh, KPIX in San Francisco...)

Joe_Mello wrote: (Incidentally, I set the likelihood of the "Triple Car Win"--C+A+R+CAR+CAR in any order--at 0.51%)  

How many times has that happened? I know it's happened at least once a couple of years ago, I've seen the clip at TPIR.tv.

Thought - personally, I find SP games where you have to actually price the the SP out of the blue, with no prices to choose from, a bit nerve-wracking. Of course with time and paying attention, it's probably not so bad.

Pushover: At first I thought it would be the usual EOL price ($8625) , however, I started thinking that the Dob might pull something out of left field here for this playing, and lo and behold he did. I'm bad with boats anyway.

Switch?/Switch?: No switch for me here.

SCSD #1: Vicki's "false alarm" scream was hilarious!

Check Out: Good work by Cyrus. The evil Cat Chow was the only thing that tripped me up a bit. Funny that the bag was lying almost on it's back for this playing...

LOL The Dob actually disagreed with Bob? *GASP!* and ROFLMAO...

One Away: I kept saying "change that second 2" over and over again. Sean didn't hear me.

Range Game: Once I got that "she's going too long" feeling, I knew Katy had lost.

Showcases: Wonder if Olivia Overkill's friends with Lucy Longway?

Joe_Mello also wrote: And incidentally, even if you assume all surfaces are sterile, would running a nut over with a truck still leave you with something inedible? :P

Definitley not edible. Snortable, maybe, but not edible.

I figured Cyrus had super lowballed on his showcase. I bid $33,500 on his, while I (over)bid $17,000 on Sitesa's showcase.

And that ends that. The 34th was quite a season loaded with lots of fun, games, good contestants, bad contestants, last month's DSW streak, the birth of Balance Game '06, the February 23rd mess (which I have yet to see), the perfect shows, and the non-daytime show related stuff like the last MDS airing and the Game$how Marathon entry. It's been fun, and I look forward to season 35, when hopefully I'll be able to get out to L.A. to catch a few tapings.

In the meantime I'll catch up on the recent shows I've missed, and maybe try my hand at posting a recap in the retro-TPIR section if I come across a complete show in my tape library.

Happy Summer!  :-D

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 11:27:01 PM »
I don't often comment on many of the shows, but I'd like to congratulate Phil on his exciting win and thank him for his fun appearance as a contestant.

I was very pleased with this entire show!

Can't wait for Season 35 - Enjoy the summer everybody!
John

Offline chnlsrfr4

• 6/15/2004
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:33 AM »
It's always good to have another Alumni among us, especially one who posts regularly. I guess now Phil knows how winning a pricing game can make your favorite game. :) Phil, I expect you to praise Spelling Bee as often as I do with Eazy. Congrats on the big win!