Author Topic: February Million Dollar Spectacular?  (Read 91009 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: February Million Dollar Spectacular?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
Well, considering how scant primetime shows are these days, I would be very surprised if they doubled up the shows... Seeing how ABC was showing a CBC show in primetime last night (Just For Laughs), proves how desperate the networks are getting to fill the timeslots with new programming.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
Crap.  Two of those Fridays are hockey nights. 

Time to break out the ol' VCR, I guess!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
nice! these will be my first MDS's on G-R.net and possibly the forum chat. i cant wait!
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Right now, considering that PO10 is getting clobbered from both sides - by Howie and the Briefcase Beauties on one, and by those "Three Wise Ones" of Idol on 'tother (if not that guy who sang that "Let My People Go" piece last week - FUN-NY!, Drew just can't win on Wednesday. And if I'm not mistaken, the current order was for six shows, and that would expire before the Price specials air, unless CBS does a little pull.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:35:06 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
This comes as no surprise to me. I think they'll become MDSs before the tape dates. I think it'd be difficult to go from MDSs to simple Prime Time Specials. I know the Bob Barker Celebration of 50 Years on Television wasn't an MDS but that was a very special show. They'd have to have special themes like they did before for the military-type specials.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »
Price in primetime is still Price in primetime, and for all we know it could be an improved MDS format.  At the very least we can be sure of increased cash bonuses for everything, and I'd be willing to bet they're going to retouch the set a little for primetime just like they did while Bob was around.  It'll be interesting to see--IF it's true.  We all know how trustworthy the CBS website is by now.

Promoman, I looked but I didn't see the info you provided, are those the airdates or the tape dates?
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
Catdogwheel, did I miss the point of your post?  All you did was quote me...who am I kidding, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery  :biggrin:
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »
Sorry I had written a message underneath the quote box and I'm not sure what happened. Anyways, what I said was that assuming that this is an MDS is that the doors will at least have a new look because the other set of doors were auctioned off as part of a package for us loyal Price is Right watchers.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 11:32:06 PM »
Actually catdogwheel makes a good point...and this is something I've been wondering about...assuming they do retouch the doors (a near-certainty), I wonder what they've got in store?  I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that whatever we see will continue the trend of the last few seasons, with no flowaround pattern at all; I wonder if they'll just give us the all-dollar-sign treatment?

Promoman, Sly, and Gavazzi, this is your territory--theorize so I can render!!!

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »

Just one possibility, playing devil's advocate:  they may make very few modifications to the set this time around:  after all, the set IS brand new, and I would think that this is their real opportunity to showcase Drew as the new host to the prime time audience for the first time.  (There are plenty of people who will see these specials who have not yet seen Drew host the daytime show because they're at work, etc.)

If I were making the decision, I might add a sign in back of the audience, but I think I'd leave the doors alone this time. 

(And unlike the airdates, I have absolutely no inside knowledge on this one.)
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 12:36:57 AM »
Promoman actually makes a very good point, underscoring something I wanted to say earlier but didn't...it's entirely possible that, aside from being primetime specials (and having better cash bonuses for everything), the upcoming nighttime shows will be just like the 1986 specials.  Think about it:

In Bob Barker's era, they started with nighttime specials in 1986 that (to my knowledge) had no differences from their daytime counterparts except that they introduced the new formats for several games such as Danger Price, Any Number, and Lucky $even.  After that, TPiR disappeared from primetime for 16 years, until the Armed Forces specials in 2002.  Once again, they were identical to their daytime counterparts in every way, except of course that audiences for those shows were all from one particular branch of the armed forces, and that the cash bonuses received influxes.  Those were followed a year later by the first round of Million Dollar $pectaculars, which (usually) were open to all audiences, and offered the $1 million top prize on the wheel.  As has been previously stated, however, this makes the Showcases VERY anti-climactic if no one gets the dollar in either Showcase Showdown.

In any event, it seems logical to conclude that they might take the same road in the Drew Carey era, and that the upcoming primetime specials are the very counterparts to the nighttime specials from 1986.  Plain and simple, ordinary nighttime shows, without a special gimmick (other than the obligatory bigger cash bonuses).  This, as Promoman suggested, will show Drew how he is in normal daytime, which will hopefully have the effect of drawing in more viewers.  Then again CBS might decide to use the Million Dollar prospect to draw in viewers who haven't seen Drew, and when they tune in and see how he does, they'll follow it to daytime.  If CBS' intention is to get people to tune in during the day, then they may want people to see how TPiR looks and feels now, and they may indeed do as Promoman suggests and leave the studio alone.  If their intention is to steal viewers away from other networks, they may resort to some of the same things they did on the last few primetime specials and basically create a custom MDS set.

I could go on forever ad nauseum about the possibilities, but I'm too tired to do so right now...tomorrow on the other hand... :biggrin:

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 03:48:16 AM »
Whether they spin for $100,000 or $1,000,000 (most likely) or $10,000,000,  it'll be so nice to see a Price is Right primetime special.   It'll also be nice to see Drew get some experience with games with it's increased cash prizes and more expensive prizes.

I'm sure  they'll some adjustments to the set to give it a nightime feel , just like all the primetime episodes in the Barker years.  Hopefullynothing too drastic to the set and hopefully  they leave the daytime cues the same.

Offline ewalker3

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 03:52:57 AM »
and just imagine....

now that Studio 33 is fully HD capable (yes its true as of december)

These special could possibly be done in HD...

... if the price is right.... (literally)...

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 04:00:55 AM »
and just imagine....

now that Studio 33 is fully HD capable (yes its true as of december)

These special could possibly be done in HD...

... if the price is right.... (literally)...

I really doubt it.  A lot of the pricing games would really show a lot of dust, wear and tear and age.  It would really stick out like a sore thumb.  I heard Master Key has a lot of knicks, scrapes and dust on it. 

I mean it could happen, but it would probably cost the show some time and money to fix the props.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59:07 AM »
I think it would be nice if spinning $1.00 on the wheel in primetime would net you $25,000.

Hmmm...
John