Author Topic: Malm fireplaces  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Malm fireplaces
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
It seems this once common prize has disappeared from the show in the capacity it once was.  Is it just me?  And if it isn't, would anyone have a guess why? 

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
Re: Malm fireplaces
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
It seems this once common prize has disappeared from the show in the capacity it once was.  Is it just me?  And if it isn't, would anyone have a guess why? 

Don't know for sure, but the general reasoning when products disappear is lack of sponsorship.
John

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
Yeah, I kind of noticed those missing. I used to do this really annoying thing when I was kid...whenever one of those fireplaces would come on, I'd shout "MALM!" To which my mom would respond "WHAT?" (she thought I was was yelling "mom"). And then I'd pretend to be all excited about the fireplace. She must have wanted to hit me with something.  :D

Offline MississippiTim

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
Okay...

(deep breath, since this is going to sound like a dumb question)

Where there actual fires burning in those fireplaces when they were given away?  If so, how did they vent the smoke?  If not, what did they use to simulate the fires?

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
This doesn't answer your question, but there are huge underground pockets of methane gas in the vicinity of TV City, The Grove, WGAW and Farmers' Market. CBS is lucky their facility hasn't gone blammo! over the years. It happened back in the '80s to the shopping center across 3rd street. I believe there are valves for controlling the methane inside TV City.

Just guessing here, but maybe there's a small tank of gas mounted on the same platform as the fireplace? As it only burns for a few minutes, maybe they just vent it into the studio and let the air conditioning suck it up? Good question.

Remember Blammo! sugarless bubble gum, a fee item from the '70s?
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 05:43:16 PM »
Okay...

(deep breath, since this is going to sound like a dumb question)

Where there actual fires burning in those fireplaces when they were given away?  If so, how did they vent the smoke?  If not, what did they use to simulate the fires?
A lot of these are electric fireplaces, which are no more than heaters with a fire looking light thing in the fire box.