Author Topic: The Countdown is on...  (Read 69282 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Countdown is On...
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
I can't believe they're renaming "Barker's Markers" Make Your Mark...that's horrible! More unnecessary changes :(
Why does this surprise you?  That's what it was called whenever it was played on Doug Davidson's version...

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
It surprises me b/c they let the studio remain the BBS and BBB remain the same, why not just leave this one alone? I didn't like it renamed for TPiR '94 either...in fact i didn't like the Davidson version of Price at all....didn't even feel like the same show to me.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
It surprises me b/c they let the studio remain the BBS and BBB remain the same, why not just leave this one alone? I didn't like it renamed for TPiR '94 either...in fact i didn't like the Davidson version of Price at all....didn't even feel like the same show to me.
Actually, I wouldn't have cared if they retired Barker's Markers anyway (definitely not my favorite game), so I'm rather indifferent to the name of it.  While we are on the subject, was BBB even played on Doug's show?  Didn't see anything in the FAQ about that.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
Actually, I wouldn't have cared if they retired Barker's Markers anyway (definitely not my favorite game), so I'm rather indifferent to the name of it.  While we are on the subject, was BBB even played on Doug's show?  Didn't see anything in the FAQ about that.

It wasn't that I'm aware of, but I don't have the lineups for all the episodes, and Roger doesn't have records for that version.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 11:13:54 PM »
I must say I hope it's Step Up. This game is rarely won.
The game really isn't designed to be won all that often though. 

For what it's worth, I really hope it's not Step Up.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »

Trust me, you're not alone--VERY MUCH not alone.  The renaming of Make Your Mark was just one small symptom of the much bigger problem that killed TNPiR'94; it was just TOO DIFFERENT.  They changed far too much for it to still feel like TPiR.  I liked it because it was a different and unique flavor, but I think it would have done better as a weekly show rather than a nightly show...that's just conjecture though and I'm probably going to get clobbered for it.  Still, I agree; it made no sense to rename Barker's Barkers on that show, but I count my blessings because we could've gotten something much worse than Make Your Mark.  Now...OR then.

I've been tinkering around with my virtual Studio 33, adjusting the lighting (now that I've figured it out!) and adding a few things...mainly just the extra chase lights and such from the 30th Anniversary Vegas Special, and there comes a point where no matter how many of the basic elements are retained, it just doesn't feel like Price anymore.  Observe:

VERY faithful to the original, but looking at it makes me want to pull a "THAT'S TOO MUCH!"  It looks like a cross between Season 34, Gameshow Marathon, and Vegas--but it's just too much for what it is.  Don't get me wrong, 3 Strikes and Golden Road and even That's Too Pink would look pretty good here, but it's just too flashy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:27:46 PM by tnpir4000 »
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 12:02:13 AM »
I'm going to go ahead and be frank on this one.  I actually like what you've drawn here for the most part.  Looks like someone is about to spin the big wheel for some big money on some kind of nighttime special.   The extra strip of green with the extra lights above the doors is a nice touch.  Lose the black floor would be my only suggestion.  I have never liked seeing the Price set with a dark floor.  Not sure what purpose the monitor between the doors serves.  I could take or leave that.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »
I actually don't have a huge problem with the renaming of Barker's Markers to MYM.  It's still the same game to me.  Granted, I would have liked it to stay as Barker's Markers, but I don't have a huge issue with MYM.  You're right, we could have had MUCH worse...

And I actually agree with Junkaholic in that I also like what you drew, tnpir (of course, I have ALWAYS liked your drawings, mostly because you are obviously very talented and I wish I could do that!).  I think it has a neat "nighttime" flavor to it.  It wouldn't fit in too well with the daytime show (it would be WAY too out of place), but it actually wouldn't be too bad in nighttime (without the black floor; the black floor makes it seem a little too dark). Although I think some of the pricing games would look a little out of place...

As for which game is getting the axe, only time will tell.  I still hope it's Joker. 
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 03:11:01 AM »
I haven't chimed in yet.  I agree with the majority that Poker Game or Joker is more likely get the axe.  I lean towards Poker Game, in part because of the "clue" posted in another thread.  It also seems to me that in more recent playings, the contestants don't really grasp what is going on and how the hands are made; this was apparently an issue with Hit Me, and look what happened to it (despite its respectable win-loss ratio).  With Joker, although similar in concept to Shell Game and despised by many of us here, I think the concept of the game seems a bit more straightforward to the average contestant.

On another note, I would rather see something like Pick A Number or Step Up retired, if some game had to be retired.

It surprises me b/c they let the studio remain the BBS and BBB remain the same, why not just leave this one alone? I didn't like it renamed for TPiR '94 either...

Well, TPiR didn't "let" the Bob Barker Studio name remain.  That is a distinction that CBS bestowed upon Television City's Studio 33 due to the longevity of the show and having their home in one studio for so many years--a distinction very few long-running shows in TV history can claim.  If TPiR were canceled tomorrow, the name of the studio would remain.

As for Barker's Bargain Bar, it was mentioned in another thread (and confirmed by John) that the show thought it fitting to have the first game named after Barker retain its name as a tribute, but thought that two namesake pricing games might be a bit intrusive on what is now Drew's territory. 

I think mentioning the BBS and having one game named for Barker (with a Drew acknowledgment/joke on every playing) is appropriate enough to honor Bob.  The show could have gone the route of removing the BBS reference from the opening and renaming BBB to "The Bargain Game", "Drew's Discount Den", "Carey's Clearance Corner", etc., but they have made a conscious decision to honor Bob in these ways.

I hope that the show is around long enough for a game or two to be named after Drew.  And in many years when he retires from the show, I would hope they keep the first pricing game they name for Drew and change any others once a third host takes over.  Of course, I would expect BBB and the BBS studio reference to remain as well.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »

A big COSIGN!!!

If they can keep The Bob Barker Studio and Barker's Bargain Bar, than Barker's Markers should stay.  Changing that name changes the traditions of a legend and nobody wants that!  Can anyone venture why they would make such a change?

Joe

PS. Sorry, did not see the post above. But IMHO, things should have been left alone.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:48:34 AM by MrPlinko »

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »
I never liked the name Barker's Markers--it's kind of a stupid name :-o....Make Your Mark sounds better to me.  I highly doubt Bob even cares.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
***1/31 SPOILER ALERT***
(highlight to view)-> Bonus Game is SAFE.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
My instincts tell me that tomorrow's show will have another "new" PG.  I find it hard to believe that *DING!* would be the only "new" PG in this session of tapings.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Train

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
You can cross off Bonus Game, it's first playing aired today.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 05:33:24 PM »
ohhhhhhhh boy.....you're not supposed to say anything about any of the shows here without a spoiler warning. That kinda stuff should be in the recap section. Some people haven't had the chance to watch the show yet due to school, work, etc and don't like knowing what games are played.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~