Author Topic: First ever playing of Golden Road  (Read 3210 times)

Offline dh027

• Double Showcase Winner
First ever playing of Golden Road
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgc-nphHaA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgc-nphHaA</a>

I just found this on Youtube.  Check out the cue that was played when car was shown.  I thought the cue debuted well after this.

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
Re: First ever playing of Golden Road
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
Wow, I've never seen that!  I didn't even know it was available.

Offline canada

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »
if she had won the car and kept it, it would now be worth about $75,000!!!!

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
This doesn't play on my computer (and niether does any other video here) but I really want to see it. How can I get this to load? If it requires youtube, forget it, they've blocked it everywhere. Is this the playing on the first episode with the new color scheme?? What kind of car did they offer???
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:19 AM »
So the first playing of Golden Road was NOT the first game of the day? Does anybody know when it was played in the show (2nd, 3rd...).

And that might seem like a dumb question, but was this an hour long show? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not sure ...

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:51:47 AM »
No. It was a half-hour show still at this point.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:27 AM »
So the first playing of Golden Road was NOT the first game of the day? Does anybody know when it was played in the show (2nd, 3rd...).

The FAQ lists the first playing of Golden Road as being the 3rd and final game of the day.

We've seen the third playing of the game -- I'm now wondering (probably will never know) if the levers that reveal the hidden digit had been replaced by the pushbutton by playing two.  I know the button is there for playing 3.  Fun technical question that we may never know.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »

If you go to the YouTube version of this game and look at the comments, you can see that the full line-up is Hi-Lo, Most Expensive, Golden Road.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
if she had won the car and kept it, it would now be worth about $75,000!!!!

Naw. I don't think it would be $75,000. If the Cadillac was Twelve-Thousand something then and it's about Forty-Three Thousand something now, it shouldn't yet be $75,000 if it was $10,000 back then.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline hyhybt

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:27:02 AM »
Yes, but a 1970's Cadillac is not worth $43,000 now; the car in the clip very well may now be worth $75,000.

Offline D11

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 03:39:15 AM »
Check out the cue that was played when car was shown.  I thought the cue debuted well after this.

That cue is from Concentration, and was added to the show along with a few others in 1973.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
According to the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, $10,263 in 1975 dollars is worth $41,128.30 in 2008 dollars. Of course, if she had kept the car in perfect condition, it may well have appreciated in value beyond that.

Offline akampfer2

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 01:26:41 AM »

And that might seem like a dumb question, but was this an hour long show? I'm thinking yes, but I'm not sure ...

It was a half hour show.  I've said for years this game did NOT debut on the first hour long show and was NOT played first in it's first playing and was shouted down by one jerk after another telling me I was wrong.  I remember watching this and it was the last game played that day.  It was played first after that.  I would have to guess it wasn't their intention to always play it first, but probably realized it takes a while to set up and that's why it's played first. 

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
Just a note, apparently they debuted the new colors before they ever went to an hour, trial or permanently. As you may have seen, the colored one bid displays, as well as the purple and orange turntable with green carpet was already in place by this point.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »
This was the first day of the colorful color scheme.
Any closer and Bob gives it away.
(except this was a Drew MDS)