Author Topic: Game show displays in everyday life  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
Game show displays in everyday life
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »
Last week I decided I didn't want to drive through Tulsa (I-44 is a pain through there), so I took the Creek Turnpike, which bypasses the city. I pulled up to the automatic coin basket at the toll plaza and was surprised to find what looked like a vane display. It was supposed to be showing the amount due for the toll, but was blank. I threw a few different combos of coins into it trying to get it to say something, but it didn't appear to work at all. I did see one at another booth that had one segment "on",  showing the segments to be a flourescent yellow-green color.

I think my high school gymnasium's old scoreboards used to have sports-type displays. Not for sure though.

So have you ever ran across one of the standard game show displays that we're used to seeing on TPIR or other game shows in a non-game show context?

Offline PlinkoChip

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Game show displays in everyday life
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
Well, I've seen Dom Casual and the More or Less font on many signs, posters, ads, etc. I've also seen some ultra-large folding vane displays like on the newer games used for the time/temperature outside some businesses.
Insert signature here.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »
There are eggcrate displays outside banks that show time and temperature, Vane displays at some gas stations that show prices, and LED-based eggcrates in elevators.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:45:59 AM »
Vane is at almost every gas station here displaying the price (it might also be digi-face). Eggcrate is on all those signs that flash and change and such (like the FF board). I think I've only ever seen one other TPiR font out there and that was recently (I just don't remember which one).
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
The time/temperature displays for my hometown bank were SportsType from the time I moved here in '85 until the late 90s, at which point they moved to a single-color matrix system.  I would have loved to buy that display at the time.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »
A few weeks ago, my church used the same font as the That's Too Much board on the front of the church bullitens. I pointed this out to people and I really don't think they cared that much.  :-)
1,668 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »
Vane is at almost every gas station here displaying the price (it might also be digi-face). Eggcrate is on all those signs that flash and change and such (like the FF board). I think I've only ever seen one other TPiR font out there and that was recently (I just don't remember which one).

If by "FF" you mean Family Feud, they didn't use eggcrate displays on the original version. They used flip-disc displays, better known to game show fans as Ferranti-Packer displays. MoDOT, Missouri's road agency, uses the Ferranti-Packer font set on their permanent Changeable Message Signs, but the pixels are orange LEDs rather than fluorescent yellow-green discs like on Family Feud.

I've seen a few displays outside banks and such that looked like they were built similar to eggcrates, but with a different font. I've never seen a "true" eggcrate display, using the same font as on TPIR.

Here's a photo of the vane display on the Creek Turnpike. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Creek_Tpk_vane_display.jpg.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 08:21:33 PM »
If by "FF" you mean Family Feud, they didn't use eggcrate displays on the original version. They used flip-disc displays, better known to game show fans as Ferranti-Packer displays. MoDOT, Missouri's road agency, uses the Ferranti-Packer font set on their permanent Changeable Message Signs, but the pixels are orange LEDs rather than fluorescent yellow-green discs like on Family Feud.

Ferranti-Packard. Sorry, but I am quite picky about that.

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 10:20:11 AM »
Ferranti-Packard.

Something that just struck me...any relation to Hewlett Packard?

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
A few gas stations I know have sports-type displays.
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
Do those billboards that use trilons to rotate between three different ads count?  Trilons are a method of display common to game shows, right? 

I saw one of those on my way to work this morning and wondered about that.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 10:34:26 PM »
Just thought of another one: Whack-a-mole score displays are Vane displays.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »
If you notice a lot of times general mills cereal boxes have the pricedown font.  I know it isn't a display but it is a well known font.
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 11:36:35 PM »
What I meant was "in the nature of" the FF board. The way it changed from "Family Feud" in lights with the rest of the board in black to "Family Feud" in black to the rest of the board lit up...the sign changing.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »
If you notice a lot of times general mills cereal boxes have the pricedown font.  I know it isn't a display but it is a well known font.

I haven't seen Pricedown on General Mills boxes...  However, one of the biggest uses of the Pricedown font outside of TPiR is probably for the main title in the Grand Theft Auto video game series (used to write the words "Grand Theft Auto" on every release since GTA3 in 2001).
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).