Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 03/07/2008  (Read 58510 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 03/07/2008
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
The video of the following is ONLINE NOW on CBS.com (and elsewhere) in case you missed it - or got something else instead.
*** NO YouTube LINKS IN THIS THREAD ***

TPiR MDS - Mar. 7, 2008
Production #0028SP - Taped Feb. 12, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Tamiko

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds, Brandi Sherwood and Gabrielle Tuite
Wearing: Scala

1   Beachcomber Hot Tub (G&R)
MICHAEL 3200 PHYLLIS 3495 JASON 2500 SUSAN *3496 ($4495)

Susan plays ANY NUMBER

Picks: 9 4 7 6 2 1 3 5
Jeep Wrangler Limited X (Loaded)(B)$2 7,1 – 4($27,184)
Coleman Camping Equipment (L)$9 6 –(968)
That Damned Piggy Bonk$5.3 2  LOSS

Susan is a "Survivor." She says chemo was "easy" (we'll believe her) and she "gained nine pounds." She hasn't lost her spirit, though. They sure can use her at those "Walks for Life."

2   Home Theater System (T)
+Michael 1495 +Phyllis 2000 +Jason *2001 ALEXANDRIA 1450 ($3190)

*** $1,000,000 GAME ***

Jason, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $100,000 PL!NKO! PRIMETIME!!!

But, if Jason can get three regulation Pl!nko! Chips into the middle slot, he gets a Golden Pl!nko! Chip. If that one chip lands in that middle slot, he wins the million.

Free Chip(4)500L
Tassi Hair Hood1/21$15*(8)500R
Grillmaster Recipe Device6/5525*(6)500R
Drink Mixer4/3440*(3)1000LTotal
Wireless Remote Speaker/Headset7/1175$2500LOSS

3   Bumper Pool Table (G&T)
+Michael 2000 +Phyllis *2001 LYRIC 1750 Alexandria 1200 ($3100)

Phyllis plays RACE GAME

1st2nd3rdPrices
2 Ibanez Electric Guitars299923101399($2310)
FIsher & Paykel Dishwasher13992999––––(1399)
Prospot HG1 Home Gym3399––––––––(2999)
Dell XPS1 Desktop Computer/Projector231013992310(3399)
RIGHT[1][1][0]
TIME LEFT:33:15:00LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$3,100Phyllis50 + 20.70
4,500Susan50 + 15.65
0,000Jason50 + 501.00*$5000*   Bonus 15   *$25,000*   Through to Showcase Round

4   Catalina Expo Sailaway Sailboat (G)
+Michael 3001 MATTHEW 3000 Lyric *4500 Alexandria 5000 ($4827)

Lyric from New Mexico plays LUCKY SEVEN for a Chrysler Sebring LX (Std., 4 cyl, AT, Prot)(All but G)

Picks:7 5 4 4
Price:   $2 7 6 8 7
Bucks:7 7 6 2 0LOSS

5   Global Arcade Classics Arcade Game (L&R)
+Michael *3101 Matthew 2550 SCOTT 2300 Alexandria 3100 ($3495)

Michael from Las Vegas, NV plays IT'S IN THE BAG

$1,000$.69*(5) (Oxford) Ruled Index Cards
LOSS14.99X(2) (OxiClean) Stain Remover ($7.99)
1.99(3) Spike Santa Fe Chunky Salsa (worthless)
7.99(6) Midol Gelcaps (24)($6.99)
6.99(1) Flintstones Gummies Vitamins (150)($14.99)
(4) Francesco Rinaldi Pasta Sauce ($1.99)

Do you realize we are winless tonight? Evidently, there are a few skunks singing Chevalier, Dion, Chaud, Matthieu, etc. who are quite aware of this. If we can't get a winner now, tomato juice baths will be necessary for the next week...

6   Wilding Wall Bed (B&L)
CHELSEA 3200 Matthew 5000 Scott 3250 Alexandria *3700 ($4803)

Alexandria from Tucson, AZ plays SQUEEZE PLAY for 2 Yamaha XT225 Motorcycles (R&T)...and to save us from a malodorous failure...

Setup:8 3 5 9 8
Pick:$ 8 5 9 8
Price:$ 8 3 9 5SKUNKED!!!

SHOWDOWN #2
$3,495Michael75 stay.75Through to Showcase Round
4,803Alexandria65 +   5.70
4,827Lyric40 + 65OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Jason has the honor.

SC1-Michael THE PERFECT WEDDING
Satin A-Line Bridal Gown (G)/Pink Satin Crepe Bridesmaid Dresses
Mikaelian & Sons 1.3kt Diamond Wedding Ring (G)/Trip to Paris (NWA Vac.; 6n)
Chrysler 300 (Std., AT, Wheels, Sunroof, Stereo, Conv.)(B&L)
BID$42,500
PRICE42,989
DIFF–489
TOTAL$1,127,062  *** $1,000,000 DOUBLE SHOWCASE WINNER ***   (2nd this season)  
SC2-Jason Trip to Las Vegas (Vegas.com; 6n)
2 Segway Personal Transporters (B&T)
2 LINCOLN! NKZs (Fairly Loaded)(G&L)
BID$70,000
PRICE80,578
DIFF–10,578

Today's Pricing Games: 0 for 6
Total Winnings: $1,147,062

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 05:26:33 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 03/07/2008
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:25:54 AM »
MDS Trip Report Part 3 of 3 – Feb. 12 Late Taping – Airing March 7

As soon as the early taping ended, I rushed out of the studio to get back in line for the later taping after Rich announced there was room in the later taping.  I wasn’t sure how much room there was, but since I didn’t know, I rushed out to try and get back in line as soon as possible.  It seemed like the pages weren’t ready for us to come out and get back in line – as it took about 5 minutes for them to seat us with the people already in line.  I am surprised that I receive contestant card #134 for the 2nd taping -  they are seriously going to be short on filling this taping even with most of the 1st audience coming back to see the 2nd show.  Even Stan was completely shocked there were only 130 people in line that hadn’t gone to the first taping.

While getting processed, guest relations manager Karen Winchell comes up to me in line and says that I have to sit in the back again – I ask why, but all I’m given is that she’s the messenger and not the person who called for it.  Unfortunately, I guess this means that they don’t want me to help, and therefore probably don’t want me on stage as a contestant.  My interview with Stan pretty much confirmed that thought – it went something like this “HiVoltairewelcomebacktotheshowHiAndrew” (Andrew was the person next to me in line). 

With Contestant card #134, I would expect to be seated somewhere in the middle section or near the front by Rich, but instead I’m seated all the way in the back by the sound mixer, where they normally seat the paid audience members.  As they fill up the studio, I realize they’re going to be very short, and there’s going to be no less than 50 paid audience members... that number was probably closer to 60 though, since they did have Scott Robinson as a seat filler on several segments.  Heck, they even brought Chuck Dukas who arranges for paid audience members to sit in with us – in fact, he sat next to Josh and I.  We also met up with Vic, the animal impersonator I met at the tapings I went to in January.  Since I knew I wasn’t “allowed” to help, I decided to just have fun with it – and just enjoy the show just like I was watching it on TV.  I was hoping they would go 6/6 and give away $2,000,000 just so that I can say that I didn’t help and they still gave away everything.

Any Number: I didn't like that they had the camping equipment behind Door #1, because Susan had to walk off the turntable just to see it... would've preferred to see the Spa in door #1 and the camping equipment in Door #3.  I have never rooted more for a contestant than Susan to win the car – Everyone in the audience was pulling for her to win that car especially when she said she was a cancer survivor. 

Plinko: I knew this would end up being a $1M game but didn’t know how they would make it happen… This one was probably just as impossible as Range Game was the previous week, as you basically needed to win enough chips (they weren’t gimmes), actually get 3 in the $20k slot then you’d get one more chip where you’d need the $20k again to get the $1M.  4 out of 6 is certainly better odds than 5 out of 5, but still that’s pretty distant odds that it’s not gonna happen.

Race Game: There was no way I would’ve thought the computer thing would be $3399, so I don’t blame her for being indecisive with those price tags.

Lucky $even: AGAIN? Did they just not have any other car games they wanted to play?  Drew spoiled this game during the stopdown when he was given some money from Roger and someone in the audience asked if they could have it – and Drew responded it was only $7.  This was tough with 4 high numbers, but I don’t think it was as evil as the 32591 from the earlier taping.

It’s In the Bag: Didn’t notice the Dom casual font on the bags right away- but I knew he had lost fairly quickly when he picked the oxi-clean on the 2nd bag.

Squeeze Play: This was a toss up between the 3 and the 5, and unfortunately she picked wrong.  So after hoping they’d go 6/6 they go 0/6… but there’s always the showcases…

Showcases: Since I obviously was not going to help anyone in the showcase being so far back, I decided to just play along just like I was watching at home playing CSS, and in fact we got two paid audience members to join us, Vic and Julie, who made bids along with Chuck, Josh, and I. The CSS Chart below shows how we did – and I feel quite embarrassed I lost to someone who was paid $9 to be there.  Since I had hoped for 6/6 and $2M and had seen a skunking, I had just hoped someone would win the $1,000,000 anyway… and when they rolled out the confetti cannons during the stopdown I nearly fell out of my chair laughing since I knew they had given away another $1,000,000. It’s interesting to note that it was the 2nd showcase was DSW friendly with the $80,xxx.  I did like that they used the hand-held camera for Michael’s reaction to winning $1,000,000, but they were VERY slow with the confetti cannons, as you can see that the Confetti was digitally added when Michael was running towards door #1 after it was revealed that he had won the million.

After the show, there were some re-takes of prizes in the showcases, and one of the cameramen accidentally stepped on one of the chasing light bulbs on the edges of the stage – the light bulb burst and someone in sitting in the first row on the right side of the stage got hit by the glass shards.  They had to call medics, but I heard she was OK. 

Also after the show, there were a couple of people trying out the Segways they just offered on the show – I don’t know who they were but they were probably staffers from the show or stagehands from CBS Television City.  Either way, it seemed like they were getting in the way of people leaving the studio.

Once the show was over, PriceFanArmadillo, FPGWillyT, Josh24, Chuck, and I all went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory next door to CBS – and we ran into Clarise who had won two wave runners on the earlier MDS (The one that aired last week).  We all discussed what we liked and didn’t like about the MDS and the show in general, until it was time for me to rush to the airport and make it in time for my flight home.  In 3 weeks, I had seen 8 tapings, traveled 12,000 miles, and cost the show more than $1.2 million in prizes… quite a journey that I can’t wait to go on again and hopefully get my chance to “Come on Down!”
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:29:43 AM by Voltron291 »

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:31:29 AM »
I very rarely get overly excited about a contestant, but I was extremely upset that Susan did not win Any Number.  She was just the type of contestant I like to see on the show.  Great job to Stanley for picking her.

On another note, not so great job picking music cues.  Many of them had no impact on the prizes tonight -- might as well have had no music.  It was very 'quiet.'
John

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
I need to ask: Was Michael in the chat room tonight?  I congratulate him on being the second millionaire in the show's history.  He deserves the "Special BigWinAdam Million Dollar Spinning Star Thingy."

And isn't ironic that one of the prizes he won in his $1.123 million haul was a trip to Las Vegas?  Now, where does he live...?

Anyone...Anyone...Buhler...Buhler...?
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:21:04 AM »
At this rate, we're going to be playing Joker for the rest of the season... for Yugos and supplement.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 01:32:42 AM »
Holy cow, it happened again! Talk about your all-time budget kill... two million-dollar winners in three weeks.

HOTTIES: #195, Alexandria; #196, Chelsea :-D
BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Susan
SHOW GRADE: 3

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »
Decent show tonight, although the prizes were a little cheaper than normal.

I really wish Susan would have won a lot more than she did.  She is someone who really appreciates being able to live and the people who helped her during her recovery.  I thought 5 was a good choice for the last number since 0 was too low for the piggy bank to start with and just right for the camping equipment to end with and 8 seemed to go with the piggy bank since it was high.

I really don't like that they used Plinko for the Million Dollar Game.  It relies all on luck rather than pricing.  Also, the golden Plinko chip just being in the tray by the scoreboard made it seem insiginifcant to me.  It should have had it's own podium or one of the models bring it out or something like that.  They sure loved fake heads in this game...

Nice to see Race Game in primetime again.  It was pretty easy since it was pretty simple that the dishwasher and guitars would be the least expensive and then it was just a choice between what order the home gym and computer go in.

Very nice to see $30,000 won in the Showdown, and Jason was a great contestant to get it.  Again though, it would have been so nice for Susan to get big money.

Why do they keep playing Lucky $even?!?  It's getting very boring now.  Not a terrible price to work with, but she couldn't pull out another miracle exact pick on the last number.

Very tough set-up in It's in the Bag.  I didn't think he was right with the Oxi Clean, but I thought the Midol would be $14.99.  I also said Flinstones for $7.99 and Oxi Clean for $6.99.

Tough and random set-up in squeeze play too.  For some reason I didn't notice the show was winless until I read the recap.

Wow, I can't believe the million was won again!  I thought he was way under, but it turned out to be an excellent bid!  Congratulations Michael!

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 02:03:10 AM »
Second highest haul from CBS shows.

Of course, BigWinAdam still holds that record.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »
Fairly big let down of a show until the big $1,000,000 win which saved it from being a train wreck. Heh.

Why was Lucky $even played again tonight? We just saw it on the first special. I mean, I can understand playing Plinko again since it's the most recognizable game on the show, but, I think it was too soon to do Lucky $even again. When Drew and the contestant walked up to the Giant Price Tag, I could have sworn they were going to play Grand Game again (given that they hadn't done a grocery game yet).

I want to ask a question, maybe it's just me, but, is anyone else SICK TO DEATH of seeing games like Lucky $even being played on primetime specials? It seems like they play it quite a bit on the nighttime shows, and, just my personal opinion, but, I'm tired of seeing it; and if it's not Lucky $even, it's usually One Away or Dice Game that rounds out a primetime show's car games. Thankfully, Any Number was played tonight, but, does anyone agree with me?

I understand that due to timing constraints, Hole in One can't be played (:(), but, why can't we get other car games in primetime like Temptation, Stack the Deck, More or Less, Let 'em Roll, Line 'em Up, etc...; something a bit more fresh?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:07:02 AM by Kyle_Haight »

Offline DrLove0378

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 02:08:06 AM »
Any Number:   Awww.   :-(  Admittedly, I was kind of taken aback by Susan's revelation, but I wanted her to WIN -- she deserved it!  Is this the first time someone has gotten the piggy bank in primetime?  Ouch...

Plinko:  After all the painful losses we've seen lately (technically, every playing since 1983 has been a loss), they really shouldn't play this game too much in primetime.  They really didn't want to give away a million here, did they?  The person who had to get an EXACTA! in One Away had a better shot, for sure.

Race Game:   Those were some expensive, confusing prizes.  I'm not sure, but when we last saw Race Game in primetime, wasn't it for four trips, on one of the military specials?

Showdown #1:  The first MDS bonus spin in the Drew Carey era is a good one!

Lucky $even:  Pretty tough setup.  All fives wouldn't have done it, for sure.

It's In the Bag:  Yay!  Drew finally gets the name of the pricing game right!  (Ironically, he didn't on the daytime show today.)  But I had NO IDEA the vitamins were THAT expensive! Ouch!  (But I must say I am jealous of Michael's item-up-for-bid -- and whoever set up the demo must have been partial to "The Legend of Kage." Good choice.)

Squeeze Play: Let's not discuss it...

I thought the only exciting game show moment tonight would be the motorhome win that happened on Wheel of Fortune, just prior to this special.  I was fully expecting to see a double overbid.  Until...

Showcases:  OH MY GOD.  I DON'T BELIEVE IT.  Along with his arcade game, Michael wins it all!  A million bucks, buddy! A trip back home, and a trip to Paris!  Three cars!  Two Segways!  Wedding dresses!  (I cannot recall EVER having seen Segways or wedding dresses on the show...)

We may have gotten our first MDS skunking today, but Michael got the Dob back in the end.  I think we're long overdue for a Golden Road playing (unless I missed one recently), but after tonight, I don't think we'll see it any time soon. 

Offline calhoun24

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 02:12:18 AM »
I didn't mind the reveal with all four models in the car, but Lucky $even for the third straight MDS?  Come on!

I'd rather see Pocket Change,  Master Key, or even a MDS Golden Road, since we haven't seen it in a long while.

But the winning bid I thought was low, and we'd just have a regular showcase win reveal...then Drew told the price, and it was unreal.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 02:13:54 AM »
Someone mentioned Golden Road, but what about Triple Play?

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 02:25:26 AM »
Any Number:   Awww.   Sad  Admittedly, I was kind of taken aback by Susan's revelation, but I wanted her to WIN -- she deserved it!  Is this the first time someone has gotten the piggy bank in primetime?  Ouch...

I've been wondering for awhile why they don't make the piggy bank into dollars during the MDSs. So $5.31 would become $531. Not a great consolation prize but it's something.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 02:29:55 AM »
I've been wondering for awhile why they don't make the piggy bank into dollars during the MDSs. So $5.31 would become $531. Not a great consolation prize but it's something.

Maybe if they made the piggy bank worth whole dollars, it'd be a bit easier to avoid the numbers in it given that the three digit prize would presumably be worth more than the bank's contents and they don't want to give the contestants that kind of advantage.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »
This was a good MDS, despite a skunked show.

Any Number: Susan mentioned that she was a cancer survivor.....I really pulled for her to win.  When it came down to the last number, I thought either a 5 or 8.  She chose 5 which was my choice and we both got that damned piggy bank. 

Plinko: This as the $1 Million game?  Well in my honest opinion, this was impossible to get 3 chips in the middle slot and the SPs were pretty hard if you ask me---the fourth one really got me too.  As for the chips, only $2500 for Jason.

Race Game: This was HARD!!!  I would never suspect the computer to be the most expensive.  Yeah, Phillis was a bit indecisive, but I would be too with these prices if I were onstage. 

SCSD 1: Jason gets $30,000!!!  I also wished Susan got money on the wheel too, but the darn wheel just didn't give her the chance.

Lucky Seven: AGAIN, Roger?!!  Apparently, Roger's setup has FORCED LOSS written all over it.  The all fives crowd will fail at the last number.  Tough break for Lyric.  $27,687 is a NASTY price for a Chrysler Sebring. 

It's in the Bag: That was HARD!!!!  Unfortunately, when Michael put the Oxiclean in the second bag, I didn't like that move.  He went for it and lost.
I didn't do much better either--I put the Midol in the second bag....never suspected the gummi vitamins in the 2nd bag.  I put the Oxiclean in the 4th bag and the salsa in the third bag (salsa I got wrong).  I put the vitamins in the last bag (obviously I was wrong there).

Squeeze Play: Goodness this was a tough crapshoot between the 3 and the 5.  I chose 3 along with Alexandria and we both lost.

Showcases: Jason was $10,000 off his....as for Michael----NO WAY!!!  He missed his by $489 and got the million and both showcases!  WOW!  What a way to end this episode!!!!!!!