Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 03/07/2008  (Read 58509 times)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 03/07/2008
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:37 AM »
and the million-winning showcase was really low - making it much easier to win the million.

Why does everyone keep saying this like it's a bad thing?

Given all 6 games were lost, there was only $20K from the One Bids given away tonight to the other 5 contestants.  Everything else won last night went to Michael.

You're forgetting Jason's $32,500 haul.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »
Any Number: I wanted Susan to win; she seemed like such a nice contestant.  During this game, the television broadcast was messing up.  I found it interesting that it happened soon after Drew said “Let’s take it slow”.

Plinko: I never thought this would be the $1,000,000 game, since I thought it would require an EXACTA.  These rules are better, but not that much better.  Too bad Jason won only $2,500.

Race Game:  I enjoyed seeing this game return to primetime.  :biggrin:

SCSD1: I was wondering when someone would get the $5,000 bonus for getting a $1.  Even better, an extra $25,000 was given away during the bonus spin.

Lucky $even:  This is the 3rd MDS with Drew and the 3rd time this game has been played.  What about playing some other exciting games like 3 Strikes, Master Key, or Ten Chances?  I didn't do that much better than Lyric.

It's in the Bag: Is it just me or did Drew refer to "It's in the Bag” by its actual name?  Now if only he would do that on the daytime show.

Squeeze Play: I chose to remove the 5 and would've won this game.

SC1: My Bid: $63,415 / Diff: OVER
SC2: My Bid: $105,240 / Diff: OVER

I was very surprised to see a 2nd million dollar winner...and so soon.  I was also surprised to see Jason not be so under on his bid.  I thought his price wouldn't even cover the 2 Lincolns.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Another comment: Drew's reaction to $1mil. He must have saw the confetti cannons ready, but still pulled it off well, better than last time IMO.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »
Wow, for the first time since May 10, 2003, Any Number was seen in primetime!

Did anyone notice that the license plate on the front of the Jeep did was not the normal California "Price is Right" one?

It's really a shame that Susan lost the Jeep.  She was such a nice lady, full of energy, and was in a good mood.  It was also great that she expressed her happiness for coming out of cancer.  I personally was kind of expecting zero to show up for the fourth digit in the Jeep's price.

Well, Plinko is played again in primetime.  I think the rules for the million dollar golden chip are okay since landing two chips in the center slot is pretty common.  The stipulation of hitting it three times was fair in my book since that happens, albeit on rare occasions, and is more possible than getting an exacta in the game.  It's a shame that Jason won a mere $2500.

Yay, Race Game is played in primetime for the first time since February 5, 2003 (the first MDS ever)!  I like how they offered just more expensive prizes instead of four trips like last time, kind of like how it was in the 1986 specials.  Phyllis thought that home gym was $3399 and left it alone and it was a shame that all that changing was for naught.  I really never thought that computer would be so pricey.

It was pretty nice to see a $5000 win on the wheel and then a $25,000 bonus spin on the special.

Roger apparently has some special affinity for Lucky $even lately, it now has been played in every primetime special.  It's just overkill to see this game so much in primetime.  I would much rather see Ten Chances, That's Too Much, or Pocket ˘hange played instead.

kind laughed at how Lyric mentioned her boys would love that convertible after Drew mentioned "we have all the models in it tonight."  That fourth digit really did her in and it made it pretty difficult to guess the last number correctly with such little room for error.

For the first time ever, Drew referred to It's in the Bag properly instead of "In the Bag". :-)

Well, I am now going to wonder when the Dom Casual labels in It's In the Bag will make it to the daytime show.

I'm pretty surprised that Squeeze Play came up instead of Coming or Going.  I mean since this is an MDS, I would kind of expect that the game would be played for only 5-digit prizes.

It really is a disappointment to see our first skunked special in the Drew Carey era of the show.

Yay, the neon chevrons backdrop was used for the Lincoln MKZ's!

Wow, our second millionaire in this batch of specials!  This is just surreal that when Bob did these MDS's for four years, he couldn't give away the million, but Drew has given away $2 million in a matter of weeks, wow.

Interesting to note that all cars offered tonight were all made by Chrysler or a brand owned by the company, in this case it was Jeep.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 12:45:41 PM »
The game may have been skunked, but the $30,000 SCSD and $1 million DSW totally made up for it.

Any Number - Aww, I was REALLY rooting for Susan.  :-(

Plinko - I really don't think they want the game million being won, and with Michael's win tonight, I think that trend will stay. $2500 may not be much, but with his SCSD win, it really makes it up!

Race Game - The Evil Dell strikes again! The XPS model can really be deceiving.

Lucky Seven - Ugh, we really need another game than Lucky Seven. I'm kind of getting tired of it now.  :-? She did well, too bad the last digit was really out of the blue.

It's in The Bag - Michael from Las Vegas plays a game to win a trip...to Las Vegas!  :-D Too bad he was off on everything but his first choice, but it was good to see Drew saying the game correctly!

Squeeze Play - Ahh! MDS Skunk!

SC - Michael did a great job, and the result shows...one million dolllars, 3 cars, trip to Vegas (heh), trip to Paris, and wedding stuff! Cudos!  :-D

Thanks for the trip report Volty, I have really enjoyed them! I do hope the person hit by the glass shards was okay though.  :-?

CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!

Offline Footix

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
Any Number - As I said in chat, I can't remember the last time I've wanted a contestant to win this badly.
Plinko - Not that I'm a huge fan of Plinko, but this is a neat way to play for the million.
Race Game - Wow, that was tough. I think I only had 1 right the first time.
Lucky $even - I'm starting to get sick of this game. We know they have more time in primetime, can't they play 3 Strikes or something else?
It's in the Bag - Those were some awfully expensive vitamins. I had index cards/Midol/pasta sauce/vitamins/Oxi Clean.
Squeeze Play - I had this right, but that was tough.
Showcases - I notice Rachel was suspiciously absent during the wedding showcase... :lol:

Offline G.B. Blackrock

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
I understand that due to timing constraints, Hole in One can't be played (:(), but, why can't we get other car games in primetime like Temptation, Stack the Deck, More or Less, Let 'em Roll, Line 'em Up, etc...; something a bit more fresh?
If Hole is One is out because of time constraints, I'm fairly confident Temptation would be out, too.  That's one of the longest games!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »
Actually, Temptation has been played two times in the recent years of primetime specials. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:41:17 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
Bob Barker never did when he hosted, and Drew, now becomes the only person to give away, $1 Million, 3 times in a season, on the first "Power Of Ten", and 2 $1 Million wins in the three $1 Million shows so far.

You need to remember that the rules changed when Drew took over. The only way Bob could give away $1M is if they won it on the wheel, and although contestants came close, it just never happened. I also noticed that the showcases are not as expensive as they have been on past MDS. Grant it, I think that's because the chances of winning $1M in the showcases are better, so why have a $100K showcase and a $80K showcase in the same show.

I totally agree about Lucky $even getting overplayed. I really was hoping for Pocket Change, Dice Game, Spelling Bee (Frank will love that), or even Line Em Up. A little variety can't hurt.

Let's be real here. There was no way in hell that Jason was going to get a chance at $1M in Plinko! What are the odds of actually getting 3 chips in $20K? I like the Million Dollar Pricing Game idea but, with the exception of One Away, it seems damn near impossible to win. At least One Away had a fighting chance for a contestant to win $1M.

Speaking of fighting chance, Susan was awesome and it was too bad she did not win Any Number. She seems so positive and I'm sure everyone in the studio, and at home, wanted her to win!

Offline radioinsomnia

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
It's In The Bag: Man, am I the only one who guessed correctly on the vitamins?  I've priced them and I knew they were expensive, so it was clear to me that he blew it with the Oxi-Clean.  But after that I had salsa/Midol/Oxi-Clean, so I'd have lost anyway.

Wasn't expecting another $1M DSW, since I thought he had underbid big time.  Congrats to Michael!

Although I agree there's been too much Lucky $even, these MDS shows are getting me excited about TPIR again--and they look fantastic in HD!  I haven't had much time for TV watching the last few years (though I did watch Bob's last few shows, of course!), and I'm getting back into this before I go to a June taping.  Can't wait!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 03:11:15 PM by radioinsomnia »

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
Eh, I knew Plinko would have to be a million dollar game, I just couldn't figure out how they would do it.

Personally the rule should've been just to get three in the $20K slot, not to do that, THEN get a chip that might not hit there.  Or, he should've got the bonus chip if he won all five chips, since there is no guarantee he'd hit the 20K with that chip (assuming he'd have to get it there for the million).

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »
OK, after last week and this week, I've decided that it's been decided that the producers are going to make it as mathematically impossible as they can to prevent a million-dollar winner during one of the six stage games. I really didn't like how they did Plinko. That was just cruel, and it eliminated any suspense about the million dollars.

If I see another primetime playing of Lucky $even, I may quit watching altogether.

Finally, I hope they have insurance for those million-dollar prizes, or this may be the last set of Million Dollar Spectaculars we ever see.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »
The network and the producers IIRC do have insurance policies against these things.
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline G.B. Blackrock

• Outside in Line
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
Actually, Temptation has been played two times in the recent years of primetime specials. 
All the more reason to consider Hole in One not out of contention (at least, not for reasons of time).

Offline CeleTheRef

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 07:23:31 PM »
Now lets get to what I really want to talk about.... The GOLDEN PLINKO CHIP. ...

In Italy we had a similar feature on Plinko: if you hit the top prize twice and still had a chip left, you could give up the money for a (slim) chance to win a car.

Better deal elsewhere in Europe because not only it was a 50:50 shot but you also keep the cash if you win the car.  And in the UK you got to use a golden chip!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:51:03 AM by Joe_Capitano »