Author Topic: What happened to Price on the road?  (Read 7326 times)

Offline TPIR75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: What happened to Price on the road?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »
I think bringing Price on the road is a great idea.  Could you imagine a week's worth of shows at Radio City?  Or in Honolulu?  Or even another trip to Las Vegas (with better planning of course).  It would give Drew and the show great exposure, and better accessibility to those who can't make the trip out to Television City.

And as noted before, only 25-30 games would be needed, plus at least two back-up games like Pick-a-Number and Double Prices.  3 Strikes would be tough to transport due to the one-piece price readout, but I would bet money on Plinko, which also has a large one-piece set, being part of the road trip.

I really hope the idea of going out and about isn't dead.  This seems like it would generate huge ratings for CBS, and huge turn-outs for the show itself.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Price in Philly myself. ;)
Signatures are overrated.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm just wondering if they aren't waiting on Drew to settle in more and let folks get more used to seeing him on Price is Right. If they're still having to use paid audience members for some shows, it doesn't seem plausible to me at this point to expect to pack larger venues with excited, yelling people.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
And wasn't one of the considerations when they were designing the new set making it easier to transport?

I'm still baffled about why, if this was the case, then why was the only structural change to the turntable simply the addition of new walls to cover the old ones? IMO, the addition of the current walls to cover up the pentagonal ones (to the left of the actual turntable - the wall on the actual turntable was indeed replaced, still not sure on the little wall on the right of the turntable or the "inner wall", located to the left of the curtain by the light matrix) doesn't make sense for travel purposes since they would add more weight.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
I don't think that a bigger venue is any better for the show than what they currently have - Could you imagine trying to get an contestant's reaction in a crowd the size of Radio City Music Hall if they got called to Come on Down? I doubt that it's feasible to have a venue of more than 1000 people simply because it would be too difficult to get reaction shots of a contestant in the audience that just got the call to come on down. Also could you imagine how long it would take to process a crowd of 1000 people given that the current procedure for processing an audience of 325 people takes upwards of 4 hours?

I would think the toughest prop for them to transport would be the Big Wheel - If I remember correctly, during the 30th anniversary special the beeper from the wheel didn't work and they had to add in sounds manually.

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
I would imagine stage size and compatibility with the traveling set, rather than audience capacity, will be a determining factor into which venues get chosen should the road shows happen.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »
As much as I would love to see Price on the road, I can imagine it's pretty difficult lugging everything around. I'm gonna try to do some thinking out loud here. Let's say they did five episodes.

IUFB= They would need 30 backdrops and of course 30 prizes
Pricing games= They would need 30 pricing games plus 30 different backdrops plus anywhere from about 30 (minimal)- about 50 prizes. (depends on what games are scheduled to be played).
Showcases- 30 backdrops, about 30 prizes plus any setup for showcase themes.

My point though is is that there is a lot of planning, and even storing, that goes into the shows and that is what keeps some shows from going on the road. Now For example Wheel of Fortune. You bet your sweet behind a lot of work is done behind the scenes, but they use the same set for the entire time they are on the road. Probably the only pieces on the set that get  rearranged or replaced are the cars. 
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 10:13:41 PM »
Could you imagine trying to get an contestant's reaction in a crowd the size of Radio City Music Hall if they got called to Come on Down? I doubt that it's feasible to have a venue of more than 1000 people simply because it would be too difficult to get reaction shots of a contestant in the audience that just got the call to come on down.

On said 30th Anniversary Special, the show was taped at the Penn & Teller Theatre, then known as the Samba Theatre, which has a seating capacity of 1,478. Rod said in his opening speech that the theatre was "filled to overflowing with people ready to 'Come on Down'", which leads me to believe it was a full house. The reaction shots were handled pretty well considering the circumstances, IMO.

Golden Road would be a really easy one to take on the road. All that's need are the 3 rainbow podiums, the game sign and the road itself.

Don't forget the giant rainbow. :P

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »
Just an offer of an idea..

If Price were to go on the road, many of the games could be (only for road shows, mind you) done with projection screens.  Backgrounds too.  The only props absolutely needed would be the wheel, showcase podiums, contestants row, and games that couldnt be computerized.  Just on the top of mind, lucky 7, 3 strikes, clock, and others would work.

Further, certain components of the set need not travel at all, like the turntable, and the show could be done with 2 doors instead of 3.  To solve the contestant processing problem, only process the first 400 and seat them front and center.

And before anybody says something like "that just wouldnt feel like Price," sure it would.   As much as a road show is GOING to feel, seeing as how they just havent been done for a lot of good reasons.

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 01:24:06 AM »
Just an offer of an idea..

If Price were to go on the road, many of the games could be (only for road shows, mind you) done with projection screens.  Backgrounds too.  The only props absolutely needed would be the wheel, showcase podiums, contestants row, and games that couldnt be computerized.  Just on the top of mind, lucky 7, 3 strikes, clock, and others would work.

I don't know about this, it wouldn't be the same without the actual game props to me.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:39 AM »
If I recall correctly, the show itself also had a zillion logistical problems.

As I recall, tickets were not necessary to see the 30th Anniversary Special.  One such logistical problem resulting from this was not providing a queuing area for potential audience members to gather for the taping.  I had just turned 18 when the taping was brought to my home of Las Vegas and my opportunity to see it was thwarted by the Rio security.  They didn't permit a line to form when I arrived at midnight. When I returned at 6am as instructed, there were hundreds of people, multiple lines, and rumors that people had rushed into the theater at 2am and those were the ones that got to stay for the taping.  It was a very disappointing experience, and there were a lot of angry fans...

All this to say that if/when TPiR does go on the road, they will have to seriously consider a lot more of these types of logistical issues, in addition to all the production issues.  And it would be very wise for them to require fans to request tickets to the taping.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 01:56:19 AM »
All this to say that if/when TPiR does go on the road, they will have to seriously consider a lot more of these types of logistical issues, in addition to all the production issues.

If anyone would ever get the opportunity to observe the backstage proceedings at a taping to see how fantastic the crew works on the show, you'd understand the logistics involved.  Having a show on the air for 35 years, with many of the same Staff and Crew members, explains why it is such a "well oiled machine."
John

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 02:40:47 AM »
If anyone would ever get the opportunity to observe the backstage proceedings at a taping to see how fantastic the crew works on the show, you'd understand the logistics involved.  Having a show on the air for 35 years, with many of the same Staff and Crew members, explains why it is such a "well oiled machine."

By "production issues", I was referring to the selection of games and set pieces that would be needed for a show away from the BBS, as well as the venue needed for the road show.  From everything I've read/seen online and the one taping I've attended, I know the production of the show itself is a well oiled machine and have no worries about that.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the logistical issues of dealing with the public/fans.  The special in Vegas just did not seem to be well thought out as far as audience processing was concerned.  When I went to my taping during season 35 however, I was very impressed with the formation of the line and the efficiency of processing it.  Wherever the show goes, they need to make sure that the process of attending the taping is as seamless and efficient as it is when one goes to tapings at the BBS.  If they can do this, I think it will be a better experience for all that try to attend.

My experience trying to attend the special in Las Vegas left a bad impression in my mind for tapings away from the BBS, so I've been somewhat skeptical of all this talk of taking the show on the road.  If Price can learn from and improve upon the Vegas experience, then road tapings may not be such a bad thing.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »
I would understand all the negativity if they'd had headaches on multiple occasions, but Las Vegas was only one botched experience. Whatever happened to getting back on the horse after it throws you?

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
Here's another question...should "Price on the Road" be prime time or daytime? I've heard people complain before that Wheel travels too much; do we want this to happen to Price?

As for paid audience members; they probably wouldn't have to worry about that. They'll get the people who travel to the show and many locals who can't afford to travel, plus average people who want to check it out.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~