Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/24/2008  (Read 11837 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 03/24/2008
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »
Drew got a haircut.  :-D

Opening - Please, stick with the purple! its the only thing that looks right!
BBB - a heartbreaker, thought she was right
Any Number - What a comeback! Nice job.
Bonkers - Thats the RIGHT way to play!
SD1 - Unlike everyone else, I actually like the new placement of the wheel.
Grocery Game - Excellent Job with that.
5PT - Aww man...I really REALLY wanted Wilbert to win
Squeezie - I would've chosen the 7 too, oh well...
SD2 - Drew's a pretty good dancer!  :P
SC's - Almost seemed set-up for DSWs, oh well...I bet Wilbert is famous in that church now, lol.

Amber does a great job!  :-D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:16:24 PM by Todd »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:47:03 PM »
Although I definitely watched (and liked) it on occasion during the Barker era, my recent "re-interest" in gameshows (thanks to classic Wheel on GSN as well as others like Tic Tac Dough and the Password shows) has sparked me to begin watching TPiR on a daily basis again. With school, I have to DVR it and watch it in the evening, but it's worth it. Drew's a great host, and great to see the show still so fun and cool! ^_^

But, alot of it is really new (or simply don't recall). I was sad to learn two favorites--Superball and Penny Ante--were retired. But, moving on...

* Any Number - Great game, and well played. Loved how he shot across the stage and hugged the car. Highlights for me:

* Bonkers - First time seeing that one. Cool set. And, wow, perfectly played.

* 5 Price Tags - I called this one as the lowest after he got 2 wrong. Wow, 80% chance of victory and he still lost. Ouchie.

* Squeeze Play - Wrong here too, sorry to see her lose.

As for the showcase showdown set movement, not a big deal for me--but I've only become a hardcore TPiR fan in the past few weeks, not years like I'm sure so many fans here are! :P

Here's hoping to see Punch-A-Bunch, Let 'Em Roll or Spelling Bee played later this week! :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:55:52 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:47:31 PM »
Opening: So many colors, Can they just stick with one?

BBB: Too bad.

Any #: Comeback, Indeed!!! Magnificent win!!!

Bonkers: WOW!!!! Very Good!!!

SCSD #1: Like many of you said, The position of the wheel is just plain odd. Hope it is a one-time only thing.

Grocery: Pretty good.

5PT: AWWWWWWW!!! Words can not be explained about this brutally painful loss. OUCH!!

Squeeze: I would've blown it, too.

Showcases: Shooting for a DSW today. Sorry it didn;t happen. Good to see Wilburn make up for that tragedy.

A 3-star show.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
The Price is Right Season 36, Game #107 (#6,838)

Showcase #1
Living Room - $5,402
Luggage - $1,000
Trip to Shanghai - $9,727

Showcase #2
I can't believe the Price people are going back to the future...I know, let's let "Rachel McFly" set your destination time:  September 4, 1972 10:30am EDT, and you have to bring $30 cash with you.  Here are the other prizes:

Human Touch - $1,499, which is the price I gotta use.
70" TV - $5,999
Wireless Speakers - $1,999
Ford Mustang - $20,689

Your Modeling Scorecard for March 24, 2008
Rachel Reynolds, aka "Rachel McFly" in Showcase #2
Total:  $49,312
What the contestants won:  $11,862, 6
What the contestants lost:  $37,450, 7

After 64 episodes
Prizes:  583 (372-211)
Cars:  61 (24-37)
Trips:  41 (17-24)
Season modeling total so far: $3,144,793

So far in her career, Rachel has modeled $19,860,065 in prizes.  Do you suppose that Rachel will reach $20,000,000 by Friday's program?  Keep your fingers crossed for Friday!

Phire Dawson
Total:  $61,830
What the contestants won:  $38,542, 7
What the contestants lost:  $23,288, 2

After 31 episodes
Prizes:  258 (176-82)
Cars:  30 (13-17)
Trips:  24 (14-10)
Season modeling total so far: $1,294,658

Amber Lancaster, whose birth episode is #3785D
Total:  $21,951
What the contestants won:  $20,412, 8
What the contestants lost:  $1,499, 1

After 1 episode
Prizes:  9 (8-1)
Cars:  0 (0-0)
Trips:  2 (2-0)
Season modeling total so far: $21,951

Your 27 prizes total $111,394.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 11:33:35 PM »
Barkers Bargain Bar: Ugh, I also chose the ATV along with Wendy....we both lost....total crapshoot today.

Any Number: What a comeback by Nathan!  His first 2 picks ended up in the chafing dish, but he called out the next 4 numbers correctly for the Ford Focus!

Bonkers: Now THAT'S the way to play Bonkers, John!  He deserved to win that trip. 

I personally thought the showcase wheel position was weird.

Grocery Game: Nicely done by Tracy.

5 Price Tags: I had a sinking feeling it was the $20635.  Wilbert sweeps the True/False portion only to get all of his choices WRONG.  What a pity.

Squeeze Play: Another total crapshoot---this time between the 2 and the 7.  I chose 7 along with Mary....we both lost.  That was one expensive brass bed.

Showcases: Both Nathan and Wilbert put in decent bids....Wilbert redeems himself from his tragic 5 Price Tags loss!

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
Bob Barker's Bargain Bar: Sometimes I don't think or use any kind of reasoning. I just assumed that picking the ATV was a wrong choice.

Any Number: Whoa, what a comeback! I just kept singing, "Don't call it a comeback!" because I felt like saying that. I would've had a painful, heartbreaking loss because I narrowed down the last choice between 0 and 2 and I would've said 0.

One Bid 3: I hope I wasn't the only one who kinda thought Wilbert bidded 59.95 for that little globe. I said that his bid was either way too low or way too high.

Bonkers: Two words: Awesome play!

Showcase Showdown (1): I didn't know the repositioning of the Wheel at first, but now I see what the hubbub is about. When I went a couple of weeks ago, I saw the Wheel directly in front of me as if I was the camera. So, I don't think it's a keeper. It doesn't matter to me anyway.

Grocery Game: I just did not know where to start, so I went along with Tracey's first purchase of the Hot Pockets. From just the total then, I (and I think some of the Peanut Gallery) immediately shouted "one V8!"

Five Price Tags: Give it a few more years; then the web cam can be worth $10. I think Drew really liked that donut maker. I think someone is willing to pay more than $85 for that. I would. It's been a while since the last time I seen someone win all four choices of the five price tags, so I figured Wilbert has a good chance. I hope he doesn't blow it. He did on an el-cheapo (lowest of the setup) priced car.

One Bid 6: Aw, Tami didn't take that individual's advice to bid 900 (or 950). I heard her.

Squeeze Play: Hmm. When I saw this this morning, I thought taking 7 was a good idea. Now I seems to make more sense. With brass beds, go big.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline Drew72

• 5/2/2003
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • TPIR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
Okay, so the titles during the opening looked good in purple.  It really wouldn't surprise me though if they take the same approach as they do with the models and that would be "rotating" the colors.  They seem to be choosing different ones that are incorporated in the set.  Not a big deal if different colors are used.  They look a hell of a lot better than the Commodore 64 graphics they were using during the season premiere!

The placement of the wheel did look quite different (to those of us who watch each day).  I have a feeling that the casual watcher would have no clue that anything was different with the set-up today.  To be honest, it actually made for a better split screen shot.  Door #1 was a nice backdrop and we weren't looking at the curtain area between the turntable and the door for once.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think it was all that bad.  Sounds like it won't be around too long though.

Is it me or did Drew seem a little distracted today?  He seemed to have a rough time explaining rules of the games and really stumbled when trying to say how much was won at the end of the show.  Maybe he was up late partying the night before or something, but the words seemed to escape him quite a bit today.  I still think he's great!  Love the "off the cuff" remarks.
Contestant - May 2, 2003 and played One Right Price - Won trips to Montreal and Mazatlan!

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »
I didn't get to see today's show, since My recorder failed to record, but I'll check innertube to see how the showcase showdown looks after they moved the Big Wheel.

The Five Pricetags loss was a painful loss indeed.  It's rare for someone to get all four small prizes right and not win the car. 
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »
Bargain Bar: Aw! I wanted Wendy to win. I thought she was such a sweetheart.

Any Number: Whoa, talk about a major comeback here by Nathan! Great job!

Bonkers: John just made the best win I've seen in quite a while.

SCSD #1: Is there a reason the wheel needed to be placed next to Door #2 instead of center stage?

Grocery Game: I got a kick out of Tracy putting the $500 she won for a perfect bid down her shirt. I thought it was kinda sexy.

5 Price Tags: Toughest loss in this game EVER. Drew's jokes with the donut maker were hilarious though.

Squeeze Play: I would have lost this one as well.

Showcases: Wilbert definitely redeemed himself from that tough car loss here.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »
Screencaps: Wendy, Tami

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 02:25:38 AM »
The placement of the wheel did look quite different (to those of us who watch each day).  I have a feeling that the casual watcher would have no clue that anything was different with the set-up today.  To be honest, it actually made for a better split screen shot.  Door #1 was a nice backdrop and we weren't looking at the curtain area between the turntable and the door for once.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't think it was all that bad.  Sounds like it won't be around too long though.

I actually thought this as well, after finally seeing the episode.  I'm guessing Bart was experimenting with a way to better catch a shot of the contestants after they spin.  Anytime the contestant doesn't take a big enough step away from the wheel during their shoutout, they can't quite get a good split-screen shot cause they are often partially blocked by the wheel.

There's a couple issues with the staging of the wheel this way though, at least how they did it in this episode.  First, the pattern of door #1 really seems to clash with the wheel.  When taking a wide shot during the SCSD, too much of door #1 is in the background and it isn't pretty...although having the show logo in the background of the shoutout shot worked well.  Second, the "follow the wheel down as it stops" shows the silver strip on door #2 behind the wheel setup.  There was too many different types of lights flashing prominently in that shot, not to mention the clash between the sparkling silver of the door and the sparkling gold on the wheel.

I get what they were trying to do, but it doesn't quite work with the current set.  It may have worked better aesthetically with the season 35 or season 31-34 set though.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).