Author Topic: Treasure Hunters and Question  (Read 2787 times)

Offline gameshowlover072

• Outside in Line
Treasure Hunters and Question
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:00:30 AM »
Hey there!

I am currently watching Treasure Hunters, and I think it's a great show!  Is anyone else out there watching this, and what are your thoughts?  Also, I have never seen The Amazing Race.  Has anyone who has seen Amazing Race think that Treasure Hunters is similar?  If so, I will probably start watching The Amazing Race.

Thanks!  Have a good week!

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
Re: Treasure Hunters and Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 12:42:23 PM »
I, too, watch Treasure Hunters and I think it's a pretty interesting show.  No doubt about it, it has similar elements to Amazing Race, but you actually need to know your American history (or at least how to use a search engine on a laptop computer  :-P ) in order to find your clues.  In fact, I actually find myself LEARNING things watching the show!!  :-o

I'm also a huge fan of decoding and ciphers, so much that I run my family through hunts around the house collecting note cards using codes I created myself! :-D

Offline JayG

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Treasure Hunters and Question
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 10:28:32 PM »
I'm watching Treasure Hunters.  And....well, the short version of my response is: The Amazing Race blows Treasure Hunters out of the water.

To expound on that: I've heard a lot of comparisons of Treasure Hunters to TAR.  In reality, that's somewhat incomplete.  There's much more of a puzzle solving aspect in TH, somewhat akin to "The Mole".  (I think; I never watched The Mole.)  So really, TH is somewhat of a hybrid between the two.

That said, I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent, but Treasure Hunters continues to befuddle me.  Not just the puzzle-solving aspects; to me, the entire production is very shoddy.  Or, to paraphrase what someone wrote on TWoP, TAR does a very good job of showing you how the race is really run, meaning how teams get from one place to another, how all the teams complete the tasks, and how & why teams surge ahead or fall behind.  Treasure Hunters seems to leave alot of that info/footage out of the final product, making it confusing to follow and understand.  (To be fair, this was more of a problem in the first 2-3 episodes.)

What's more, TAR never forgets that team-to-team interaction, or simply interaction within each individual team, is just as important as the race proper.  The teams on TAR exude personality, simply because the show spends much more time introducing them to us and focusing on their relationship, and the interactions with the other teams during the race.  That makes it much easier to find teams to root for, and root against, in TAR.  TH spends almost no time on team dynamics, making the show more about the puzzles and route finding than the players themselves.  This makes it harder to differentiate between the teams, making it harder to find teams to root for.  Without any real rooting interest, the whole show becomes even more dull.  

Oh, and RoboLaird is not worthy to stand in the same building as Phil Keoghan.

I would venture to say, then, that if you're trying to decide if TAR is worth watching based on TH, I think you'd greatly prefer TAR over TH, if for no other reason than the quality of production is FAR better with TAR.  There's a reason TAR has won a Emmy three years in a row.