Author Topic: 1975 Syndicated TPIR with Dennis James  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
1975 Syndicated TPIR with Dennis James
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »
Act 1 - Opening/IUFB #1/ One Right Price

Act 2 - IUFB #2/Any Number

Act 3 - IUFB #3/Grocery Game

Act 4 - Showcases and Closing

When I first found this video on YouTube last summer, I was amazed at the picture and sound quality.  Dennis did a great job hosting.

Offline padron3141

• In Contestant's Row
  • NYC subway hobbyist: "Mr. R-10", "Mr. 'A' Train".
Re: 1975 Syndicated TPIR with Dennis James
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »
Dennis did a great job hosting.

Yeah, that I agree with your statement, and it was from that syndicated version hosted by Dennis that I was actually attracted to Price, when its first season was seen on WNBC-TV Channel 4 in New York City on Saturday evenings at 7:30pm (Eastern).  I was able to start watching the Barker daytime edition on a regular basis when CBS had moved the show into the afternoons at 3:00pm beginning on that Monday, March 26, 1973.
William A. Padron
[Take The "A" Train]

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:24:40 PM »
I love how in Act 2, for the grandfather clock, the cue they use is the main theme, with a banjo.

But, overall, if there was anyone who could top what Bob Barker did, I would say it would be Dennis James.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline spunker88

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
When I first found this video on YouTube last summer, I was amazed at the picture and sound quality.  Dennis did a great job hosting.

Somebody must have traded and got their hands on the master. There is no other explination for having this good of quality in 1975.
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline Bill

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »
Is it me or do the audiences from '75 to about '79 seem wilder and geniounely more exicted when someone won money on the wheel or a car? Screams and overall enthusiasm seemed all the more present.

Offline mmarlin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
Bill, I think you are right....

Also, there are some other clips out there of Dennis' show(mainly audio on J-Shea) but there is also a full episode from 1972 on Youtube also.

Does anybody know the status of the rest of his episodes?

It would be great if they could include one in the next TPIR DVD, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one

Offline jj09

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Your first video doesn't work Heidi. Must have a glitch.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:07:24 AM »
Is it me or do the audiences from '75 to about '79 seem wilder and geniounely more exicted when someone won money on the wheel or a car? Screams and overall enthusiasm seemed all the more present.
I think the 1970s audiences and contestants were more sincere and grateful. People were excited simply to win a refrigerator.

The audience reactions seemed better placed back then, too. Now, it is nonstop hooting and hollering for the hour.

Have you noticed that on the Dennis James nighttime show, at least, he would hold his microphone towards the contestant during prize descriptions to capture their reactions?

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:14:50 AM »
Does anybody know the status of the rest of his episodes? It would be great if they could include one in the next TPIR DVD, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one

I imagine the two-inch master videotapes were dubbed to Digital Betacam along with the rest of the Goodson-Todman library in the early 1990s. Where these tapes are today, who knows? I don't believe a single episode of the Dennis James nighttime Price Is Right has been broadcast since its original run in the 1970s.

If BCI had the inclination to release any of the nighttime shows on DVD, I wonder what strings would have to be pulled. Would both Bob Barker and the Dennis James estate (or family) have to give approval?

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »
I loved that reaction to the double overbid, especially when Martha thought she won her showcase, but she ending up with a WSD.  Truly priceless! 

(by the way, the MRRRRRP sounded harsher back then as opposed to today....)  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
Here's something I noticed:  the car showcase was not the higher value showcase!   How often does that happen anymore?
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.