Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 05/14/2008  (Read 42389 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR MDS 05/14/2008
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
Nine down, only one left...

GR: What an expensive motorhome! $102K? That's Drew's most expensive prize yet! Too bad it was lost...I also chose the 9.

$1M PUNCHY: I liked the concept here for the MDG, and I liked the overall prize increase to $50K on the game.  I liked the Pricedown dollar signs on the new hole covers, although they need to bring the blue background on them back...the yellow dollar sign is just too hard to see on the white.  Tough luck on the $600.

CLIFFY: I was surprised to, once again, see 2 SP games on the same show, and, this time, back-to-back SP games! Those SPs were tricky...kudos to Aja for winning.

L7: A Porshe? Yeah, foreign cars are here to stay.  :-D  Very tough setup...I also would have lost.

GROCERY: That cheapo Midol got her...if only she would have chosen one more...I also would have lost.

SQUEEZEY: Wow...Squeezey for a $40K-plus car! Fairly easy pickings, although the Peanut Gallery nearly cost her a win.  That zero just looked wrong.

SCs: Compared to the fairly high budget of the rest of the show, the SCs (SC1, at least), seemed fairly lackluster.  My bids:
         SUVs: 60000 (diff. 619)
         Caddy: 90000 (OVER...)

OVERALL: 4/5.  Fairly decent show, and we see Punchy's budget boosted...along with the prize budget for this episode in general.  Only one more MDS remains in this set...what will happen next?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:45 AM »
It's MDS time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golden: A $102k Motorhome being offered is something. But what really took me away was the home gym w/ TV.  :lol: drew kinda rushed through this playing but I'm sure he really wanted this won.  Sorry not to see that happened.

Punch: For $50K!!!!!!!!! Major push-up and it's the MDG!!! Finding the $50K on the first punch sounds logical but why could they have just put in a million dollar slip? Yeah, I know that if a contestant would've found the $50K prize and asked to risk it sounds ridiculous. just a thought. I would've stopped with the $5K.

Cliff: Great to see a good win after a rocky start.

Lucky 7: FOR A PORSCHE???!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o Aside from the issues about the foreign car policy, This was a delight to see one offered after all these years. Too bad it was lost.

Grocery: Too bad.

Squeeze: Count me in as one of those who screamed "Zero, Zero, Zero".  :oops: The win took me by surprise.

Showcases: I would've bid around $61K on the showcase with the two hybrids and $90K on the Cadillac showcase.  :-( Oh, the pain would've been severe. I'm also a little unpleased about the change from being under $1K to being under $500 to win both showcases and the million. Desperate money-saving plan? Not gonna get into that.

A 6-star show.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
Punch: For $50K!!!!!!!!! Major push-up and it's the MDG!!! Finding the $50K on the first punch sounds logical but why could they have just put in a million dollar slip? Yeah, I know that if a contestant would've found the $50K prize and asked to risk it sounds ridiculous. just a thought. I would've stopped with the $5K.

Because, the whole point of the M$PG is to only get the million by getting the 50K on the FIRST punch.  If there were a 1,000,000 slip, and the contestant picked it fourth (or in this case, third), that would have been MUCH, MUCH easier to obtain (statistically speaking).

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
Paul Lukas of UniWatch fame pointed out Jimmy's hunters vest orange Bernie Kosar jersey in his blog today (5/15).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:41:42 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline Willman14

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 10:29:40 AM »
Anyone notice the big white deer head mounted on the wall in one of the "rooms" offered for Grocery Game?

I thought that was a little strange and certainly not at all in line with the whole animal rights views of the show - whether Bob is gone or not, I thought it was quite odd and unecessary.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
Golden Road:  I would have missed the 2nd prize but got the 1st and last prize last.  I really wanted Robert to win the $100,000+ prize.

Punch-a-bunch: They increased the highest amount from previous primetime specials and they added 4 Second Chances like in daytime!  I liked the idea used for the million dollar game—much better than Plinko last week.  Apparently, Delishia didn’t want to do the “Yah!” Good for her.

Cliff Hangers: My guesses were $20, $25, and $35.  I wasn’t paying much attention on the first two prices but after the third price was revealed, there was a white background behind the normal blue background.  Has that always been there?  I thought it was always completely blue and there was nothing “behind it”.

Grocery Game: NEVER pick a cheap product first
Several people on this site, including myself, didn't even know that was so cheap  I  thought it would be at least $6.

Squeeze Play: I chose to remove a 0, and we both won!  0 seemed like the obvious number to remove.

SC1:  My Bid: $67,325 / Diff: OVER
SC2:  My Bid: $61,330 / Diff: $27,109

Offline elonpuckhog

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »
I have to say I really liked this show.  Golden Road I thought was tough, but it had been a while since I had seen it played, so that was kind of fun...

I thought Punch a bunch as the MDG was stupid.  If you're going to do it, put a Million slip in there and they can pick it at any time.  I don't like that this game was only based purely on luck...

In the showcases, I had no idea what the price of the first showcase was.  In the second, I figured it was over $90,000, and I would have been over.

Overall, a pretty good show...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »
I thought Punch a bunch as the MDG was stupid.  If you're going to do it, put a Million slip in there and they can pick it at any time.  I don't like that this game was only based purely on luck...

I think that's considerably worse than what they did.  The million-dollar thingies should be additions to the rules, not alterations to them.  (Granted, these were new rules, anyway...but they can be used perfectly well without the million-dollar gimmick.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
This was a pretty good show, but it would've been better if someone won the million.

Golden Road: Well, the guy did win the first two prizes, but the "$100,000 or more" drought continues, since nobody's won anything that expensive yet.

Punch a Bunch: A Million Dollar Game! Wow! I thought that if they ever made this game the MDG, they would put a $1,000,000 slip in one of the holes and whoever found it would win the whole thing! Now that the MDS top prize is $50,000 (which I also like), could a similar boost be in store for daytime? Thirty years ago, $10,000 might have been a big deal, but that's no longer the case. I'd like to see $25,000 on daytime, if not more. Just a thought to ponder.

Cliff Hangers: Woo-hoo, Mr. Yodely Guy lives!

Lucky $even: A Porsche appears on the show for the first time since the famous Toni incident of 1992! Too bad it was lost on the third number. But thankfully, Drew allowed the whole price to be revealed on TV, or otherwise we wouldn't have known the whole thing. I wish they would've done this more often.

Grocery Game: I, too, thought the 99¢ Midol was a joke. And they played the losing horns after the MRRP! Reminds me too much of Check-Out, which is basically a copycat of this game.

Squeeze Play: For a $40,000-plus car? Wow! And somebody won it?! Wow again!

Showcases: I knew this was going to happen eventually, that there would be an overbid on a Showcase. Of course, this never happened while the $1,000 DSW limit was still in place, but now that they cut it back to $500, I figured it would be a matter of time before someone went over. And to make matters worse, it was the guy who had the two hybrid SUVs in his Showcase. The first Showcase overbid in an MDS since Barker's last one, and it ends the same way: The other contestant wins a Cadillac XLR, which happens to be the same car offered in Adam's Showcase when he won the million bucks!

Lots of surreal moments, but otherwise, a fun show to watch from start to finish. Then again, any MDS is always fun to watch!

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
I was glad to see my favorite cash pricing game back on nighttime.  I was suprised at the new distribution amounts though, but it was a good suprise.  I was getting tired of seeing Plinko all the time.

A Porche makes it back to TPIR for the first time in more than 16 years.  At least Drew asks to see all of the numbers in Lucky Seven after a loss, unlike Bob.

I don't think I ever saw a showcase offer two different makes and model cars in the same showcase:  Saturn & Ford.

For the first time since the military specials in 2002, Grocery Game is once again played for three rooms of furniture.  I know for a fact that where I live, they don't sell trial size Midol containing four pills (the least you can get here is sixteen pills).

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
Did anyone notice in Golden Road that drew accidentally made a slight reveal of what the number was hiding behind the marker for the second prize?  it was only for a split second, but it was enough to see that, yes indeed, a 2 was the right choice.

I took notice to that as well.  Not sure how the angle would have been for the contestant, but for us at home it was fairly obvious.  Is it bad that I related it to Gallery Game when I saw that?  :)

Thank GOODNESS we got Punch a Bunch in Primetime for the first time in more than 5 YEARS!  I was not as disappointed in the M$ gimmick for Punch a Bunch as I probably could have been.  The biggest complaint for Punch a Bunch I have is the change in the paper punches that were made.  I know lots of things from Primetime generally transition into daytime, but I sincerely hope this one doesn't.  Watching the show in high definition, I still could barely see the prominent blue "$" we have been used to for years.

When the first door opened for the Grocery Game living room, I was a bit disappointed; but once it continued - I was really shocked and impressed with the full 3 door prize package.  Really neat.

Nice to see a Chevy Suburban (LTZ!) offered.  Been awhile since we saw one of those (I recall That's Too Much! was played for one in Primetime Season 31.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:43:16 PM by Joe_Capitano »
John

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »

It would still be based purely on luck even if your idea was what really happened.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
Golden Road: Well, the guy did win the first two prizes, but the "$100,000 or more" drought continues, since nobody's won anything that expensive yet.

There was a lady, back in Season 33 I believe, who won a Cabin Cruiser that was $105,000+ on the Golden Road.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline rob01234

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:36 PM »
Does anyone think people are "afraid" to bid higher than 65000 on he MDS?
Never Forget: Superball!!!

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »
Does anyone think people are "afraid" to bid higher than 65000 on he MDS?

I don't think it is that they are afraid all the time. I for one believe that you don't usually see most of these prizes on the daytime show so it is sometimes harder to price them in your head. If you saw them a lot, or similar models, it might be easier.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace