Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/20/2008  (Read 49158 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/20/2008
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
We are wondering if joseph made it on stage and made an @%@ of himself and they edited it out and threw him offstage. 
I doubt that's the case, no matter how bad the contestant is you can't just reject him from a PG.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Pikachu732001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Big Ones anyone? Anyone?
    • Howard Salwasser's Bracket Watch
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 04:45:31 PM »
SWITCH?: Unfortunately, I switched the 2 trips.

LET EM ROLL: Word to all future contestants, If you roll at least $4,000 on the first try(even if it is a Honda Civic), bailout, and quickly.

SECRET "X": Well played today.

ONE AWAY: Ouch! That was painful to lose. (My guess: $22,414)

STEP UP: Question to those who know. Was the snorkeling equipment the cheapest prize ever used in this game? I also would have bailed out after the stereo.

PICK-A-NUMBER: Easy choice for the tens digit.

Showcases:

Electric Car: $15,000(6998)
:frts: CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!!
:frts: CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!!
:frts: CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!!: $27,000(3291)

Lucky $even Index: 3/7

Mentions of "THAT" fellow: NONE (Hopefully CBS had the decency to ban him from Television City forever.)
2015-16 Big One Tracker: 65(3 PRIMETIME & 2 WIPEOUTS)
2016-17 Big One Tracker: 60
2017-18 Big One Tracker: 11

We need more trailers.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »
I seriously hoped that Joseph's antics would've raised some red flags out in Washington. To me, it seemed like he had no regard for what he said on air. Heck, I was surprised he didn't, say, flip off the camera when Rich did the "Contestants not appearing on stage" thing.

Of course, I love being extreme, and in all truth, I'd at least hope Syd yelled at him about his bids.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:52:24 PM by Chief-O »

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
I had posted on my Trip report back in January:

The ones that that [Stan] really needs to avoid are the knuckleheads that would bash the show or disrespect it

And it appears that based on what we saw from Joseph today - Stan didn't do a good job of that.... On top of that - he was the FIRST contestant called today! Had he been picked 9th, he might have just been another one of those stoner contestants that bids 420 and doesn't get out of the row... but of course he goes on to basically disrespect the show by being a show off in contestant's row.  I don't think he actually did anything against the rules but it's clear that he wasn't taking the show seriously and just wanted to show off on national television.  Just wonder what would have happened if he had ended up in the showcase...

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
You know, I didn't see the episode, but I can see the other trends besides his $2M bid (which I, for the life of me, can't believe they would even accept!).  $420 (drugs), $777 (Vegas), and all the 69s and the one 68 (well, we'll leave that up to your imagination).  It's a wonder he didn't bid $666 or something, or 1234, or 1111, or god only knows what else.
Truthfully, I don't even have to see the episode to know Joseph was the worst contestant of all time.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
Let 'Em Roll:  I knew something unusual happened during today's playing, but it wasn't until I came here that I realized there was an edit causing the cubes to go from the surface to the cup.
I doubt that's the case, no matter how bad the contestant is you can't just reject him from a PG.
I had thought that rodroddyfan was making a joke.

Secret "X":  Has Drew always done the "Alakazam" with this game?  Anyways, it was amusing to see Samuel say "1-2-3" rather than "Alakazam".

IUFB #4:  $2 million?  It's clear he didn't want this prize.  If he even wanted to be a contestant, it would be so he could get some unnecessary camera time.  Definitely the highest bid on any item.

One Away: Monique was a great contestant who seemed to enjoy doing the "O ____ sounds effect lady" routine.

Step Up:  In the 5th slot!  I believe this is only the 2nd time in the game's 6-year history that it has been played 5th.  Good choice by Jose to stop.  I actually think the way Drew explains it might be better.  When the game begins, he says pick the least expensive item.  After that is done, he says the same thing again.  If the contestant picks an item, he/she believes that it has a higher price than the first item since Drew said at the start of the game to pick the least expensive prize.  On the other hand, I could see how if a contestant makes a mistake and believes he/she can still play believing the item picked is least expensive than the 1st prize even though the contestant thought it was more expensive.  However, a contestant would probably know there is some order to pick the prizes and since Drew is saying "least expensive", the order is from least expensive to most expensive.

Pick a Number:  Yea! for it being twice in three days.  :-D

SC1:  My Bid: $17,300 / Diff: $4,698
SC2:  My Bid: $26,145 / Diff: $4,146

What interests me about today's show is that we have One Away in Slot 4 and Step Up in Slot 5, which is very rare.  Also, I believe the last time there were 2 bailouts in the same show, Let 'Em Roll and Step Up were the two games that contestants bailed out on, just like this time.

No wonder this episode was tagged "NOT FOR RERUN".
Did you see/hear this somewhere or is this your opinion (which is probably what will actually happen)?

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
Pretty good show today-aside from the moronic antics of Joseph. What Joseph did was just a shame and disgrace to the show. I wonder what Stan saw that made him think he was good contestant material.

Secret X's return was a welcome sight. Of course we couldn't welcome ol' X back without a painful loss that we are all accustomed to with this game.

Step Up showing up 5th was a welcome surprise. Last time it showed up 5th, surprisingly or not, was last season when it "sandwiched" One Away (played 4th then as well as today) and the now retired Hit Me.

Pick-a-Number again?!? Exactly how many times has this been played this year? Definitely beats seeing Double Prices that's for sure.

Offline pinball777

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
From what I'm reading, if the only bad thing that Joseph was 2 million, I could just see Bob saying something like, where do you shop? I've got a kitchen I'd like to sell you. Seems like an average show to me.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
From what I'm reading, if the only bad thing that Joseph was 2 million, I could just see Bob saying something like, where do you shop? I've got a kitchen I'd like to sell you. Seems like an average show to me.

That wasn't the only bad thing Joseph did.  He bid $420, and not in "That's what I think the price is" way.  It was in a "I'm going to make a reference to drugs" way.  Also, when contestants make high bids (like Ilda's bid of $9000 on the surfboards), that price is what they think the IUFB really costs.  There is no way Joseph actually thinks a kitchen costs $2 million.  There were also several times during the One-Bids in which Joseph was acting in an inappropriate way.  He wasn't even trying to be a contestant.

Offline TPIRCOUSIN

• 6/27/2006
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »
 8-O  All I can say about today's show is WHOA!  I'm gonna be chicken and just say that it was quite an unusual day for TPIR.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 05:50:25 PM »
Switch: I would rather pay more for Santa Fe than Seattle. So, [imitating the National Bingo Night commissioner:] "No Switch!"

Let 'em Roll: Do I detect a little editing in this game? Maybe it's just me. The rolls ended up with a lot of money? I'll take it after the second roll.

One Bid 3: I noticed Joseph's bids were ending in -69. Is he being one of those contestants? I missed his previous bids of 420 and 777. I think his first 420 bid kinda makes me think he's one of them...

Secret X: Samuel was confident that the camera was $50, but not for the mop? Does he think the Libman could cost $25?? Still won, which is good.

One Bid 4: "So this Samuel takes Joseph's -69 tactic and Joe goes 2 million for it, on a kitchen island??!??! Yeah, we're going to talk about you and it may show up on YouTube. See what you did, Joseph? Your ridiculous 2,000,000 bid cost you that chance at the car!" Wouldn't matter anyways since they all (Except Monique) were over.

One Away: Two 2s and two 4s? I don't think we'll hear a horn after the "four numbers right?" question. It got a little confusing for me to figure out which 4 to change.

One Bid 5: Doing the 69 thing again, Joseph? Methinks you are surely going to the House for sure.

Step Up: I had the snorkeling equipment confused with scuba gear. Jose was confident to pick the snorkelers and the firebookcaseplace. I would've said the massage chair next. With a big jump from $999 and $1,999, I would bail out.

One Bid 6: Oh, now he tries using 68 instead of 69. Doesn't work. A good riddance?

Pick-a-Number: One of the few times a tossup instinct does not work for me. I was originally tossing between 2 and 5. When Jennifer picked 9 instead, I figured it made sense with 98, with each motorcycle ending in 99.

Showcases: I thought Monique bid just a little too low (by about $2000) on her Showcase and would've bid at least 24000 on Veronica's.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
Well, Joseph was a jackass.  There's really nothing positive that can be said about him, except perhaps for, "Thank God he didn't get out of Contestants' Row."  Ironically, though, he caused a couple of the show's best moments -- Samuel bidding $1,869 so that he couldn't, and Drew just taking his two million dollar bid and moving right on like it was nothing.

And really, aside from Joseph, it was a good, enjoyable show.  There was a neat lineup with a surprisingly cool second half, Secret "X" got played for the first time in over two months, and most of the other contestants were pretty fun.

I wonder what happened in Let 'em Roll.  There was some massive editing going on there.  I figured it would probably become clear later in the show when Joseph got on stage and did something asinine that took forever...except he never did.

Y'know, Drew might do One Away better than Bob did.  There have been some really great moments in that game this year.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 06:07:36 PM »
Actually, in One Away's earliest playings, Bob did make a bigger deal about the "proper" way to ask how many numbers a player got right, just as Drew does now. However, for whatever reason Bob stopped doing it, likely due to time constraints.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
A $2 million bid on daytime?

Quote from: The Rock
"SWEET CREAM ON AN ICE CREAM SAMMICH!"

That is all.
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
The bottom line - Joseph's 2 million dollar bid was a complete and utter insult to everyone involved with TPIR (viewers, contestants, employees, CBS, Fremantle, Broyhill, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:36:52 PM by noahproblem »
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.