Author Topic: Mystery Price - For a Car!  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Mystery Price - For a Car!
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:25:13 AM »
Contrary to what you might think, Mystery Price wasn't a tried-and-true car game.  But it WAS played for a car at one point:

Here, from early 1974 is that playing.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Mystery Price - For a Car!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:51 PM »
That's not as confusing as everyone says it is. I mean, I got the gist of it real quickly.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:04:33 PM »
Here's the thing: It's not a bad game when you play it for a car.  But it was supposedly played for a much smaller prize (Example: A pool table, et al) more often than not.  At which point there's no justification to have viewers and contestants going through a game this length.

Offline Trivia Trap

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 12:10:04 AM »
A few things I thought when I was viewing this clip (in no order and no complete sentences)

Sweet! an original studio recording. Not digging darkening the studio audience. I wonder if they did that for the whole episode for every episode back then, as it probably led to a weird refocusing for a second or something weird. Okay, thats a lot of prizes for 1974. Thats how you play Mystery Price! She was good, it looked kind of weird and really dark, like some of the lights werent on or something. Maybe I am just seeing things.