Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2008  (Read 38718 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2008
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Volty - Doesn't that violate your first amendment rights?

One of the oddest reveals I've ever seen in Card Game today, glad to see he actually had to pick a few cards to be in the range of winning.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:56 PM »
Switcheroo: I would've put the 5 on the car too. I wonder why Drew urged April to switch the numbers around after revealing she had 3 of them right the first try. She could've told him she wanted to be left alone and find out which prizes she won. Had she done that she probably would have not won the car. Yet I could be wrong about this.

Balance Game: I only saw the outcome and even I knew that Cancun trip couldn't be that expensive.

Buy Or Sell: My guess would be Sell, Buy, Sell. A win for me.

IUFB #4: $9000 on those surfboards?!  8-O  Do I smell deja vu all over again?  :oldlol:

Double Prices: $4895 was my choice too. Pretty easy.

Card Game: Had I go on and draw a 10 or one of the face cards I probably would be over by $5. Michael's car win was definitely overshadowed by one of worst reveals in the history of this game. I don't think any one of us caught the price of the car there. I hope the crew there talked to Drew about this after the show. You gotta say the price man rather than just show it which we can hardly see.

Pick-A-Pair: A bad move by Ronald to keep the olive oil and say the supplement which was the same price as the wart remover.  :roll: I detected another forced loss here.

SCSD #2: I wanted Ronald or Sarah to win.

Showcases: Michael wanted to bid $30,000. But his peeps talked him out of it and thus went with $25,000. His peeps definitely costs him his showcase leaving room for his friend April to redeem herself after that disappointing playing of Switcheroo with a great bid on her showcase to be today's big winner.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
Voltron,

You can take this to PM if you'd like. I don't get this, and I'm just wondering.

Even if you've been there 18 times (which is considerably less than some people here), how is it that the production staff knows you on sight, knows that you will shout out/signal answers, that the contestants will look to you for advice, and that your answers will be right? I know that you've posted about giving contestants good advice before, but everyone in the audience tries to tell the contestants what to do. It seems that they've gone to a great deal of trouble to keep you, individually, from doing that. That's not a First Amendment violation. It's their show, and they can run it however they want. But there's no way they could suspect you of any kind of cheating, since you don't know in advance which prizes will be offered on a particular show, and you don't have some sort of inside information as to the prices. All you do is, apparently, watch the show and do a very good job of remembering the prices. That's not cheating, that's being a loyal viewer.

John

Offline joechopchop

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
'Roo: Didn't see it, but I also would have put the 5 in the price of the car.

Balance Game: I thought this was a sure win.   :clipboard: :hammer: (for lack of a cannon)

Buy or Sell: If only she had decided to sell...

IUFB4: Come on...$9000 for 2 surfboards?  Stupid bid.  :headbang:

Double Prices: Easy win.

Card Game: Come on...what a lousy reveal.

Pick-A-Pair: If only Ronald kept the wart remover...

Showcases: Why Michael decided to listen to the audience and change his bid to $25,000 is anybody's guess.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
Switcheroo:  While Drew did mention that April could stop, it seemed like he was trying to get her to use her second chance, even though it may not have been the best thing for her to do.  It was a painful loss, since two of the blocks she switched where two of the three she originally got right.  There was also something amusing about Drew referring to the blocks as "cubes" rather than "blocks".

Balance Game:  Is this the first time that bag Drew (or in previous seasons, Bob) put on the scale was less than $100?  If not, is this the lowest that bag has ever been?

Buy or Sell:  When the actual retail prices were being shown, I noticed something that looked like a negative sign on the readout even though Drew had mentioned that the readout wasn't working.  Quickly, I figured it must have somehow worked again and wondered why it wasn't shown if it was working (or even, less likely, if it wasn't working, since that is the usual shot).

IUFB #4:  Theresa bids $9,000 on a surfboard? :-?  Is this Ila in disguise? :lol:

Card Game: The reveal wasn't that good, and the fact the camera wasn't zoomed in on the price tag didn't help either.  Michael just didn't seem like a good contestant, since he seemed to wonder around like he's in his own world when Drew was showing him the prize.  There were also a few moments in the game where he did something like that, although he was quite excited after winning the car.  Speaking of the car, yet another cheap car.  3rd time to play this game was a $15,000 starting bid, and I believe 3rd time, the car was under $20,000.  When Drew originally said the opening bid was $12,000, I thought it was realized the $15,000 opening bid might not be a good idea for sub-$20,000 cars, and they reverted back to $12,000.

Pick-a-Pair: I would’ve originally guessed the olive and oil and supplement.  Seeing that the supplement was $13.99 and remembering the wart remover was $13.99, I would’ve guessed the wart remover and won.

SC1: My Bid: $18,030 / Diff: OVER
SC2: My Bid: $31,620 / Diff: $231  :dsw:

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
Yeah, Switcheroo was played!  Also, it's for a new Honda on the show-the Accord coupe this time, instead of the sedan.  It really was a heartbreaker for April when she ended up getting only one right on the second try.  The only silver lining to this is that she won the second-most expensive SP of the bunch.  I laughed at how Drew said the goal was the car and "you can get a soccer ball humidifier anytime you want."

Drew was kind of wanting April to try again at Switcheroo when he said "I'm going to put another 30 seconds on the clock."  Instead of asking her if she wanted to quit after she got three correct on the first try.

Another yay, Balance Game for the first time in a month!

Is it me, or did they make the logo in Balance Game a bit whiter than normal?

I really thought it was kind of sub-par when they didn't zoom in on the $46 bag as Drew was placing it on the scale, and when it lowered.

I really thought that the Buy or Sell scoreboard was broken initially when Drew said it was. I noticed it was placed farther to the right than usual when they raised the Race Game curtain, but when they cut back to Drew and Agastina, the scoreboard was in its normal position.  Also, I could see the tip of a minus sign as the game was being played, which kind of made me wonder if the scoreboard started working again and they didn't show it for whatever reason.  After reading your trip report, Voltron, I can now see why this happened.

Wow, I never thought we'd see this again, but we had a repeat of Iila in the fourth bidding round.

Michael was very excited to be on the show, and I loved how he celebrated after he won the car.  Thankfully Michael stopped when he did, he could have run the risk of going over if he drew one more card.  Drew's reveal was a bit "off" and I wonder why that happened.  He should have read the price out loud instead of leaving viewers to figure out what the ARP of the car was by doing the math.  Bart could have cut to a close-up of the ARP tag when Drew did not say it, but there must have been a reason he did not.

I loved Michael's celebration after he won the second SCSD.

It's a shame that Michael changed his mind at the last possible second, and it was a bummer to see him tell the audience "why did you make me change my mind?" like that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:20:17 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
I'm no expert on SPs, but when I have 3 right on the first time, I'd just leave all of the prices alone. I mean, without getting into all of the things like "The translator couldn't possibly be $39", there's a 3/5 chance you won the car.
That's not how it works.  No matter what do you to the SP's after the first try...if you change two or zero (or heck, even all four!), as long as you don't touch the car, you still have a 60% chance of winning it.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
One-Bid #1:  $5,000 for drums?!  *sigh*...

Roo:  Yay!  Switcheroo! :P

Balance:  NWA = cheap.  I knew the trip would be only $3,000.

BoS:  Yay!  Buy or Sell! :P And Phone Home cue! :P Is this the first time that the Buy/Sell scoreboard has ever malfunctioned?

One-Bid #4:  OMG!  It happened again!  First $9,000 bid on surfboards since Ila over 15 years ago!

Card:  Sure was a good thing that Michael didn't draw again.  Had he pulled a 10 or a face, he would've been $5 over.

SC #1:  WHOO

SC #2:  $25,000 doesn't cover the boat.  He should've stuck with 30.

My showcase bids:
Big Banana--$19,507
Boat--$32,207
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline mhrasputin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »
Sorry Folks:

I'm going to be one in the minority to stand behind Drew when it came to his CARD GAME reveal of the price. This is NOW Drew's show as most of you have said, he's going to do it his way and in his style. If you don't like it, there's always THE VIEW or just watch Bob's version of TPIR on either You Tube or on your own machine. Sometimes, his style is unorthodox and doesn't follow the criteria of most game show hosts, but again this is HIS style. Keep up the good work Drew. And you know the old saying (this also relates to me too, thanks Steve). If you got nothing good to say.....

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of Michael.  His reaction after winning Card Game was classic...but honestly, during the Showcase, I thought he acted like a jerk.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone get openly pissed on the air at the people who provided their losing bid before.

Incidentally, I must be in the minority here, but I kind of got a kick out of Drew's Card Game reveal.  Yes, there should have been a better effort made to get the price on-camera...but he did a good buildup, and the revelation that Michael had won was quite a surprise.

Another thing I got a kick out of was the return on the $9,000 surfboards.  Theresa didn't try to make a show of it or anything -- she just said it calmly, as though she were doing it for people like us and didn't care if there were people out there who might not get the joke.

Voltron,

You can take this to PM if you'd like. I don't get this, and I'm just wondering.

Even if you've been there 18 times (which is considerably less than some people here), how is it that the production staff knows you on sight, knows that you will shout out/signal answers, ...

I'm reluctant to comment here, because I don't want it to sound like I'm taking sides -- honestly, I can see Volt's perspective on this, and I can see the show's, too -- but I don't think it's quite accurate to describe Volt specifically as just another person trying to tell the contestants what to do.  He's someone who's been to the show numerous times and who, during those visits, has caused a lot of stuff to be won, including a million dollars.  I don't like the idea of silencing an audience member any more than you do, but I don't think Volt could be classified as an average member of the audience at this point -- he was a known quantity who showed up during the first week of shows in five months where the budget wasn't spiralling out of control.

I really hope this doesn't make anyone think I'm irked at Volt.  I like Volt.  I just don't think this is an issue that can be examined fairly by only looking at it from one side.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:46:08 PM by Joe_Capitano »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
This is NOW Drew's show as most of you have said, he's going to do it his way and in his style. ...

We know it's Drew's show and he should be allowed to develop his own style, but there are certain things that MUST be done, such as announcing the actual price of the car in Card Game. Holding up a card and saying someone won the car is not sufficient.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:19 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of Michael.  His reaction after winning Card Game was classic...but honestly, during the Showcase, I thought he acted like a jerk.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone get openly pissed on the air at the people who provided their losing bid before.

Agreed 100% Steve.  I thought he was a jerk during the showcases as well.  What he displayed during the showcase results was poor sportsmanship and he took it out on his peeps in the audience.

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
YES, I'm posting this time.

Today big thing, AN EXTRA LONG LISTENING of the revised.  Dig...
You can definately expect this to be in my game update this week.

Isn't it amazing Michael wanted to stop since he was scared of getting a 1K card, and amazingly, he missed the price by 995... I'm sorry, he's a PLAYA!
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »
From the show's perspective, you have to look at it like this.  There is a difference between looking at any member of the audience and looking at Voltaire.  Voltaire is on his stuff and he knows prices.  No, he is not cheating, he is just good.  While I don't think he should be shut out of the show or silenced, I do agree with Steve.  When Voltaire is there, The Dob is stopped. 

Offline gameshowfan23

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:18 PM »
Whoever said history repeats itself really said a mouthful.