Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/16/2008  (Read 25421 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/16/2008
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »
One-Bid #1:  Is it just me or does Nancy look and sound exactly like Ann B. Davis from "The Brady Bunch"?

ME:  Easy.

Bee:  Yay!  Spelling Bee! :P I have never seen a contestant more excited than Alice Nancy to win a veggie peeler and a popcorn popper.  With those three straight As, it's a good thing that she pulled the "CAR" on her first pick.  Nancy could be a nominee for contestant of the year.

Bonky:  Sheesh... Bonkers went totally bonkers today.  Correct call by the producers to hand out a technical.

T2:  Yay!  Take Two! :P Bad choice of prize cue once again, Stan.  I believe this is the first time that a Scooter Store scooter has appeared on this show.  It really is a shame that this was the only loss of the episode.

SC #2:  Oh God... not the evil Friggin' Random Around the World showcase.

My showcase bids:
Random room/spa--$16,407
FRATWS--$19,907
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline ClassicG

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
(This will be my last post here. So, mods, block me, ban me, delete me, do whatever you must. I have no more need for this website.)

Anywho...

1. Bonkers: I think Carolyn did a fine job playing the game, regardless of the malfunctioning of the lights on the game board. What puzzled me, however, was if the lights were supposed to go on flashing like that during the actual game play. Because, if I'm correct, I think there was another instance of Bonkers where a situation similar to this happened - only without the technical win.

2. If anyone was hoping for a "Blast-from-the-past" redux of the Samoan squeeze, Nancy's mugging (or love-making, in that matter) with the host after the second IUFB may be one for the ages. I counted four bear hugs today.

"First win, then love. That'll be our new motto." - Drew Carey

3. And what can I say about the super-close-but-missed $1.00 spin on the first showcase showdown? :shocked:

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 06:40:12 PM »
(This will be my last post here. So, mods, block me, ban me, delete me, do whatever you must. I have no more need for this website.)
Could you further explain?  Why do you have "no more need"?  You recap lots of show, and there will be many more shows.  By the way, even if you do leave, your account will probably still be open, just in case you change your mind.

Because, if I'm correct, I think there was another instance of Bonkers where a situation similar to this happened - only without the technical win.
The incident you are referring to went as follows: The contestant made some changes, while he was making changes the lights flashed (sort of like what happened today), so Bob had the time stop.  Once the problem was settled, the game went on as usual.  Later on, the contestant got it wrong although the buzzer sounded.  The lights flashed showing he won it, but the contestant still tried more possibilities (since he heard the buzzer).  Eventually, the dinging went off when he was in the middle of a change to signify that he got it right when the sound effects person said he got it wrong.  He did win the prize, but it was because he got the right price despite the buzzer being heard.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 06:46:11 PM »
Wow, what a great win in Spelling Bee today!  Nancy wins right off the bat with one of the CAR cards.  Good thing, too, since all the rest of the cards she picked were As.  She was a great contestant, having a lot of excitement all throughout the show, and even winning her showcase!

Bonkers literally went bonkers today!  I got confused just watching that playing.  I believe that was a good call awarding her the boat.

The wheel was teasing contestants again today in the first Showcase Showdown.  2 people almost got the dollar in their 1st spin.

As soon as I saw the video camera in the second showcase, I knew it was going to be an Around the World showcase.  LOL at Drew getting mauled by Nancy at the end.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »
Most Expensive: I still had my thoughts that the riding lawnmower was $980. Whether if it was that price or not, I still would've picked the exerciser.

Spelling Bee: Now with the chance to bail out with thousands of dollars instead of a car is getting difficult. I was about to say take the money and run. I would've been so redfaced if I did that.

Bonkers: As I type, I am watching the board flash in odd patterns. It looks like it's about to blow. What is going on with the lights? This is more bonkers than that last blooper a few years back.  I couldn't concentrate on number logic on this one. Now the board lights up cooperatively at the very end for a moment.

Showcase Showdown 1: As I type about Bonkers, I now discover that Bonkers really went bonkers again, causing confusion from me, Carolyn, and everybody else in Studio 33. I was expecting a possible technic and it happened.

Take Two: Right now, I'm saying the candle holders and the scooter. I hope I'm right. Betsy picks the exact opposite. I hope she changes them both. Well, we were both wrong.

Hi-Lo: Hmm... $5.49? I'm a little worried about the Ziploc and the Tums. We all are now. The worries can all go away (with the Tums).

One Bid 6: From just those two bids, I knew we're going to get a DB.

Money Game: I would've tried 21 and 95. Since those were wrong, I really have to think about my choices. Regina played it much better than me.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »
Well, we hit another taping week...and Drew's still on top of his game, maybe ever moreso than before.  That's a huge relief.  The only thing he did today that bugged me was letting the contestant take forever in Spelling Bee.  He still needs a bit of work on that...but everything else was good.

...well, almost everything, I guess.  Take Two obviously wasn't all that hot.  I can forgive that, though -- I mean, he's only played the damn thing four times!  It's not like Barker never screwed it up, either (although not in that particular way).

It's kind of a shame Bonkers had to screw up today, of all days -- I totally agree with awarding a win after the game went haywire, but regardless, it was played atrociously.

Shouldn't Most Expensive and Hi Lo be massive conflicts?

That's a pretty arrogant comment coming from a guy who did nothing for a month and a half but drive everyone nuts with a stupid slang term that nobody besides him knew the meaning of.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mmarlin

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 09:14:37 PM »

Cya!!!!

:D

I haven't watched today's show but it sounds like the Bonkers fiasco in 2002. Should be posted over in the video vault

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »
Today the lights just starting coming up out of no where instead of the paddles falling down and sounds and lights going crazy like in 2002.  I was kind of surprised a technical win was awarded since it didn't look like the contestant was paying any attention to the fact that lights came on.

I'm really surprised the Tums weren't picked in Hi Lo.  I thought the olive oil was setting up a loss.

What was with having two quick showcases?

Offline jaydlewis

• Double Showcase Winner
    • QWIZX.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:33 PM »
So...what was up with the two empty VIP seats?

The camera briefly stopped on them in the opening and you could see a strip of white tape across them when the jib was in use.

I was waiting for either some sort of explanation, an "In Memoriam" card or something else (the VIPs come out with Drew, he intros them from the wings, etc).

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
Very good show today.

Nancy was a great contestant. Just like Philip Cousin two years ago, that just proved that a great contestant can make a subpar game more fun to watch. I was particularily amused by her mauling of Drew after she won the showcase.

Even though Bonkers wasn't played very well, I do agree with the technical win, because even though the lights may not have confused Carolyn, they confused me.

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:26 PM »
The "techincal win" in Bonkers was very well deserved.  Ive seen techincal wins be given for lot less valid reasons.

The 4th One-Bid segment was "beyond simple minded-more like mindnumbing."  At that point, I knew the 4th game would be lost.

One-Bid #5 was just as bad.   :-x

Im so happy contestant 1  (cramp in the 2nd half) and 4 ( cramp all day) never got on stage......as I got no clue what they were doing in contestants row, if at all.

Today was a "honda day"...lol   And what is a ceramic cooking egg?  Id think ceramic gets too hot too cook on-in..lol

Keith
4-10-08
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 05:21:02 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
What was with having two quick showcases?

Around the World isn't quick.  Not only does it count as a 'themed' showcase, it has four prizes, three of which have fairly long copy to read.  So it's not really 'quick' by any definition.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 10:50:23 PM »
...yet you wasted time discussing today's show. I find that funny.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »
Despite all of the electrical problems price was having today, it was a pretty good show. The contestants were fantastic.

I honestly don't believe that Carolyn should've been given the boat in Bonkers because she clearly lost. HOWEVER, I can see that Roger and the gang might've been worried about possibly getting sued in the amount of the boat simply because the malfunction confused her. So to avoid that, they gave her the boat.

I knew something was wrong with the board right away when I saw the blue squares lighting up similar to that of the million dollar sign on the MDS's. My dad felt she should've been given the boat too.

My dad is not a loyal Price watcher. As a matter of fact Price I think bores him. But for some reason during the last couple of episodes, he's watched them with me. He laughed when Nancy was mugging Drew throughout the show. And thanks to Nancy's reaction, she helped Drew end the show the way it should be done, And that is by a possible small interaction congratulating the contestant and not making it clear he is reading from a cue card, like he does at the end of the show.  
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »
Most: I went with #2 as well. YES!!!  :-)

Spelling: Nancy was such a BLAST. Great to see someone turn a playing of a normally lame game into something worth seeing. The way she won it was no more than miraculous when one of the CAR cards came to the rescue.

Bonkers: Well, I kinda don't think the lights acting all haywire should result in a technical win. I really don't think Carolyn looked confused at all during it all. But it's their decision, I guess I have to respect it.

Take Two: We went back to the days of the Breslow shots in this playing. Loved it. Wrong choices on the two prizes. Too bad.

Hi Lo: Good win.

Money: Great reveal by Drew and great win.

Showcases: Well, neither showcase was anything special but we got Nancy mugging poor Drew to death in that hilarious ending after her victory.  :-D

A 3.25-star show.