Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/18/2008  (Read 16703 times)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/18/2008
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »
Range Game: My guess would have been $16,440.  Another close win!  When I first saw this, I thought it would be like many previous times this season, and it would be the only car game in the 1st half.

Hole in 1 (or 2): Drew’s problem seems to be he’s not lining the ball up properly.  I wish we could see Drew make more putts—of course, it’s partly based on skill, so there’s not much that can be done about it, although there is something.  I was worried that Martha might not make it, but fortunately, she did and the 2nd car was won.  I thought it was funny how the ball ended up in one of the GP flag holes.

Cliff Hangers:  Too bad the 3rd and final car wasn’t won.  My guesses were 22-25-40, and the yodely guy would have stopped at 23.  While I like to see wins, I don’t mind Cliff Hangers being lost and agree with Steve when he said that it was fun to see it being lost.  After seeing this game was being played, I was wondering if this would be a 4-car day.

Pushover:  Almost instantly, I picked $5275.  That seemed to be the only reasonable price there.  Arguably, $5012 is a good price, but it’s the first choice, so that wouldn’t be the right price.

SC1: My Bid: $25,072 / Diff: OVER
SC2: My Bid: $32,325 / Diff: $8,838

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »

Great Show Today!!!

It should have been a 5 out of 6 win show....easily.  Again, "tourist contestants" instead of "smart contestants who act like they have seen the show before", would have used the 20-30-40 Cliff Hangers strategy.

As for Pushover, that was the saddest, maddening, mind numbing lose in the history of the game.  $2578....for a trip from LA to Boston , via "airplane"..... :-P......in year 2008, for 6 nights in a hotel and not a storage closet :-?...gotta wonder but the cells upstairs.   

"Head-Cracking Losses", from me banging my head into wall screaming seeing the senseless actions  like these make the good folks at TPIR able to "offer 4 cars in one day".....so for that I thank them.

Keith
4-10-08

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Great lineup. This is the first 3 car game under Drew correct? I did like how they made Cliffy a little bit harder because it was for a car. The slow cooker used to be a regular item but it hadn't been used for awhile.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 08:05:52 PM »
Quote from: 2008nowandthen
Again, "tourist contestants" instead of "smart contestants who act like they have seen the show before", would have used the 20-30-40 Cliff Hangers strategy.

You'd be wrong.  Incredibly, to my surprise, I recently learned that my casual-viewer mother is aware that the prices always go in ascending order!  From her guesses on the prizes, though, it's also very clear she'd have no clue about any sort of 20-30-40 strategy, and it's insane to expect a normal contestant to consider such, even ones who have noticed that the prizes go in increasing order.  I don't know whether or not Holly knew that, but there's no reason to believe she didn't know about the ascending order pricing from her performance.

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

Hey Frank,

Im dyslexic.  I have been my whole life, so sometimes "I misword things". 

I meant to say, that todays playing of Cliff Hangers had "causal-every once in a while viewer playing" written all over it.

Anyone who has watched the show on a regular basis and used the 20-30-40 strategy, would have won.  Simple as that.  And to see a "car" lost that way, it was painful..lol

You can almost always tell the contestants who "watched-studied the show", even just a little bit BEFORE heading to Studio 33 versus the "casual tourist".

Keith
4-10-08

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
You know, I have to say, Holly didn't play the game nearly as badly as you seem to be implying.  I think almost everyone would have missed the slow cooker by at least $10, except for those few of us who have it memorized (I know I would have missed it by nearly that much.)  Drew's comment after the price was revealed was spot on... 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:50:37 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »
Keith, you need to stop it.

Seriously...I'm not a mod, and I obviously can't make you do anything, but you really, really need to quit harping on every single contestant who doesn't play their game exactly the way you would have played it.  Most people -- in fact, almost everybody besides us -- doesn't know the various tricks to winning the pricing games, and it's getting very, very frustrating to see you repeatedly ignore that fact and treat perfectly decent contestants as though they were idiots.

(Won't someone think of the children?  Yeah, had to edit that word out.  Also, you and Keith play nice.  I really don't want to see this go much further.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:30:25 AM by PriceFanArmadillo »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 10:15:49 PM »
The Hole In One win stunned me. Marthalyn clearly didn't know how to putt, yet her second putt was dead center the whole time. Definitely an awesome and surprising win.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Frank decides again
SHOW GRADE: 3

Shame on all of you who I just know are going to admit to having stopped at the $5012 price in today's Push Over.  We, on this board, of all people, should've known better than that.  I'd have won, anyway.
I didn't... I'd have won, too.

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »
To Steve,

Youre right, you cant make me do anything nor are you a moderator.

I wasnt calling her (the cliff hangers gal)..out of her name.  If I were, the moderators, the real ones would have told me so.   And its funny, no one called me or sent me a personal message saying I call the Cliff Hangers contestant out of her name or that I was wrong.

I simply mentioned that it was a "painful loss" in Cliff Hangers, seeing how a car , which was begging to be won was lost.  I felt so bad for her because she seemed like a nice, fun person.  Please re-read the orginial post.

Now as for Pushover, that was "mindnumbing" to watch.

Thanks Steve,

Keith
4-10-08
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:53:58 PM by 2008nowandthen »

Offline res0xn12

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »
I may be in the Minority here, but I found today's show a little odd.

Range Game:  $4??? Wouldn't have been an exciting way to start if she stopped the lower end exactly on the price?

Hole in One:  I don't think I would've gone past the fourth item on that one.  Seemed a little tricky to me (but who knows).

However, the nice surprise of the day was playing Cliff Hangers for a car.  Although lost, I would've won it believe it or not.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
Keith, you need to stop it.

Seriously... you really, really need to quit complaining about every single contestant who doesn't play their game exactly the way you would have played it.  Most people--in fact, almost everybody besides us--doesn't know the various tricks to winning the pricing games, and it's getting very, very frustrating to see you repeatedly ignore that fact and treat perfectly decent contestants as though they were idiots.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
That post just made my night...

Offline Bully

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 12:39:13 AM »
Great show Overall
I LOVE the price is right!!

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Range: $4 away!!! WOW!!! Just a victoriously close call there.  :-)

Hole: Martha got the picture on her 2nd putt. Very good.

Shopping: The guitar was obviously the one to stay away from.

Freeze: So obvious.

Cliff: I probably would've guessed $30 on the first SP and stayed close as possible and still won. The playing wasn't that bad and sad to see it lost especially for a car.  :cry:

Push: $2750 for a trip to Boston? Even I knew it just wasn't right.

Showcases: "Harmony" sure was one confused young hippee.  :-D I would've bid $39K on the SUV showcase and around $16K on the exercise room one.

A 3.25-star show.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 10:28:47 AM »
Interesting lineup today...very interesting.

RANGEY: For a car?!? Wow...that was close! I probably would have lost...I was thinking just a little higher.

HOLEY: I knew that she was wrong on the GPs...but she made a very good second putt.

SPREE: I knew that the guitar was the cheapest one there.

FREEZEY: Easy peasy.

CLIFFY: Another non-regular car game for a car? That was a little tougher than usual with the $12 slow cooker, but I still would have won. I was actually thinking 45 for the last SP...I was only off there by $2.

PUSHY: Only $5012 and $5275 looked like they could be right...but since $5012 was the first price, I had to go with $5275.

SCs: I liked the "Harmony, Wannabe Hippee" showcase.

OVERALL: 4.5/5.  Very good show, with a very...interesting and fun lineup.

This is the first 3 car game under Drew correct?

Second, at least.  The December 18th show (the Christmas Week El Skunko) had Safe Crackers/Money Game/Card Game all for cars. I do believe that this is the first with two non-regular car games, though.  :D

"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.