Poll

Which state has the best state highway shield?

Alabama
0 (0%)
Alaska
0 (0%)
Arizona
0 (0%)
Arkansas
0 (0%)
California
0 (0%)
Colorado
1 (2.8%)
D.C.
0 (0%)
Florida
0 (0%)
Georgia
2 (5.6%)
Hawaii
0 (0%)
Idaho
0 (0%)
Kansas
4 (11.1%)
Louisiana
3 (8.3%)
Maryland
0 (0%)
Michigan
0 (0%)
Minnesota
1 (2.8%)
Missouri
1 (2.8%)
Nebraska
0 (0%)
Nevada
0 (0%)
New Hampshire
1 (2.8%)
New Mexico
3 (8.3%)
New York
2 (5.6%)
N. Carolina
4 (11.1%)
N. Dakota
0 (0%)
Ohio
1 (2.8%)
Oklahoma
0 (0%)
Oregon
0 (0%)
Pennsylvania
1 (2.8%)
S. Carolina
0 (0%)
S. Dakota
0 (0%)
Tennessee
0 (0%)
Utah
3 (8.3%)
Vermont
1 (2.8%)
Virginia
0 (0%)
Washington
8 (22.2%)
Wisconsin
0 (0%)
Wyoming
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: POLL: The best state highway shield  (Read 6571 times)

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: POLL: The best state highway shield
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »
It's kinda boring, but the state highway shield here in Oregon is an upside-down version of California's "miner's spade" shield, but in black and white. I'm kinda surprised they don't use the state's shape as the shield; it's fairly square, and the numbers would fit in just fine.

By the way, better quality examples of all the shields (including Interstate, US Highway, and County Route markers) are available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbered_highways_in_the_United_States
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:54:46 PM by CaseyBuck »

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:02:40 AM »
Took Kentucky (circle) off. Didn't forget about Illinois; deliberately left it out since it's just a white square with a number and "ILLINOIS". Problem with that is, if you're on Illinois 55 and you glance at a shield, it looks too much like a Speed Limit 55 sign. Now what if you're on Illinois 80...?
Try living by Illinois 2.  :P

Actually, I was driving down Illinois 25 one night about two weekends ago...the fact that about once a mile, they had Illinois 25 signs and directly between each 25 sign was a Speed Limit 40 sign.....?  Holy crap that was confusing.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 12:08:35 AM »
I picked Louisiana.  What can I say?  I'm biased.  Besides, it's one of the few colorful ones--the regular US highway signs are already boring ol' black and white.  And it's shaped like a boot!  C'mon... boot!

I don't know if you've noticed, but the state has recently started to replace the old green and white signs with black and white ones (albeit, completely at random). I've ran into one a few days ago up near Baker and saw a couple in the Shreveport area a while back. I thought it was a fluke, but I just found a blog about it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:12:04 AM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline TwinsMetsFan

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 01:27:19 AM »
Heh, somebody voted for New York? I'm a native and lifelong New Yorker and I'm no fan of our shield. When only roadgeeks know what the outline of the shield represents, it's a bad symbol to use. Consider that nearby Pennsylvania and Ohio use distinctive, easily recognizable state features (Keystone and state outline, respectively) instead of using something as obscure to the general public as the state seal, as New York does.

I voted for Vermont, since it's the most unique (IMO) of the northeastern state highway shields, but South Carolina's new shield isn't half bad either.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 01:30:42 AM by TwinsMetsFan »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
My vote is for Washington.  It just reminds me of a quarter. I dunno why.  :D
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »
I find Kansas' sunflower-shaped shields to be the most pleasing to the eye, so I voted for that one.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »
I voted for Utah because it seems a bit more detailed than most of the rest.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline joechopchop

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »
I voted for my home state...Pennsylvania.  There aren't any other states that I know of that utilize a keystone on their state highway signs.  Ohio and Florida aren't half-bad either.  BTW, somebody forgot to include New Jersey in this poll (although a circle is quite uninspired). 

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
South Carolina must have changed theirs... I remember it used to be just the outline of the state. Can't go with my home state, though... the diamond is lame. Utah's beehive is pretty cool, so I'll go with that.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »
I voted for Colorado since it has the state flag's image on it.  But I have a soft spot for Iowa's simple circle done in Series C.  Like some of you, I have a fascination with road signs, particularly creative ones.  This is one of my favorites, found in Burlington, Iowa, just after a low clearance sign for a low bridge:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:40:29 PM by isucgv »

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »
How DARE you forget about Texas!  That's just plain wrong!  Everyone knows that everything is bigger in Texas!  :-D

Hey, I'm in Texas right now!  I'm visiting with kinfolk and I must say that it is nice out here!  I'm in Fort Worth right now and this weekend I'm going to the PBR!  Anyway- nice state(everything is western and rodeo related!  I'm in heaven!)

Despite all this, I voted for Georgia! :-D
1,685 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
I visited Washington a couple of summers ago, and I do admit that the profile of George Washington was eye-catching, so I picked that.

I'm from New York State, and I'm SHOCKED that someone voted for it! That symbol for the "Excelsior" shield is absolutely boring! I always thought so!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
My NY state pride overcame my better judgment. :-D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:58:36 AM by Flerbert419 »
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »
OK, you're forgiven.  :-) I love my home state, too. That's why I wish it had a better highway symbol!  :lol:
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »
By the way, the reason I excluded the circle states is because that's the "MUTCD default" shield. Basically the feds said "if you can't come up with something better, use this." So Iowa, Mississippi, NJ, et al basically did nothing and just had their shield handed to them. (Oklahoma used to be a circle state too, but switched to the present day "meat cleaver" design in 2006 to bolster state pride leading up to the Centennial.)