Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/23/2008  (Read 29009 times)

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/23/2008
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:12:13 PM »
Drew was fair today, definitely not his best, but I've seen him do worse.

Intro: AUDIENCE ENTRANCE!!!!!

Goldy: The one just LOOKED right.

Grandy: Fairly easy, how do you wipeout on this???

Magicky: Once again, fairly easy.

Pushy: Would've lost, but there were only 2 logical guesses.

Dicey: Dob-ish price.

IUFB 6: Go Norma!!! Joe was being a prick all show.

ME: Piece of pie.

SC's: OVER/ :wsd: by $77 :(
Signatures are overrated.

Offline TPIR75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 03:15:20 PM »
WAHOOOO for the audience entrances again!  and WAHOO for Golden Road again!

Golden Road: Nice to see the Corvette convertible make an appearance here.  I was thinking 1 for the Vette, which would have been right.  I wonder if we'll see the Cabin Cruisers come back.  Does anyone know when we last had one at the end of the road?

Grand Game: OUCH!! What a wipe-out.  Tough to win only $1 in your PG.

Dice Game: It seems like more often than not the third number is always a 1 or 2.

SC1: $40,000 on the showcase on the boat?!  Bringing it down by $10,000 didn't help her from going over.
SC2: I LOOOOVE the Chrysler 300s.  What a beautiful car.  OUCH.  No losing horns at the end?  It sounded weird, at least to me, to not have them play after the MRRP.

I like how Drew starts off at the other end of the audience when there are double overbids.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
I'm surprised to see some comments about the show not being that good today... I thought it was pretty enjoyable. It always amazes me how the shows with few wins end up being really good sometimes.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »
I'm surprised to see some comments about the show not being that good today... I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

I can't imagine why...Drew's hosting was bad to abysmal for most of the hour, and there wasn't really anything else happening to pick up his slack.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »
Everything past the first segment of the show was some of the worst of the season. Olive oil < 6.25? Try the easy stuff first? Obvious double OB? :roll:

C+

S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Drewfan2008

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
I'm surprised to see some comments about the show not being that good today... I thought it was pretty enjoyable. It always amazes me how the shows with few wins end up being really good sometimes.
Were we watching the same show? Today show summed up in one word was..... BAD.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »
I can't imagine why...Drew's hosting was bad to abysmal for most of the hour, and there wasn't really anything else happening to pick up his slack.
I don't know... something about this show was just more exciting than usual. The audience seemed really into it, Drew finally entered from the audience, and the whole thing with Norma was hilarious.

Offline JTFriends1

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
I have a theory behind the audience entrance -

The purpose of the audience entrance is for logistical reasons (large game necessitating curtain concealment) and/or to maintain the surprise of Game 1, in this case "Golden Road".  I think today's show may have been the first time this season a "prize pod" (for lack of a better term) was used for the 2nd prize. 

In previous GR appearances, immediately after Drew takes his first steps through the big doors, even with the occasional long shot from the overhead cam showing essentially half of Door #2 and all points west, 99% of the viewing audience (this group excluded) would not be able to determine the set being staged for GR... when prize #2 was concealed behind door #1.

However, today, unless they used an extremely tight shot of Drew coming through the big doors and no sweeping camera shot, GR as game 1 would've been given away by the necessary staging of the prize pod w/ the clock.  It's doubtful that could've been moved into place quickly enough once Drew throws to Rich for IUFB1.  Thus, the audience entrace was necessary.

There's my speculation.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
Opening:  WHOO the audience entrance returns! :-D

Goldy:  I don't know how Scott won that clock.  $7,915 looked way too much to me.  I thought it was $7,215.

Grandy:  Ugh!  No excuse to pick the olive oil.  If you're gonna lose that setup, lose it on the other item over $6.25.  This setup was hard, I must admit.  I don't know if the aspirin, aftershave, or shampoo was over $6.25.

Magic Pound Sign:  Yay!  Magic returns from its mini! :P

Pushy:  Either $4,047 or $4,701 could've been right.  (Don't even say it, Frank.)

Dice:  *sigh*  This time, going against the odds did not pay off.

Most:  Who was that weirdo in the audience yelling out Lanisha's name? :oldlol:

SC #1:  STAGE WILLY!  That showcase will not break 25.

SC #2:  Uh-oh... I smell double overbid.

My showcase bids:
Boat of Doom--$22,007
Car--$25,607
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
However, today, unless they used an extremely tight shot of Drew coming through the big doors and no sweeping camera shot, GR as game 1 would've been given away by the necessary staging of the prize pod w/ the clock.  It's doubtful that could've been moved into place quickly enough once Drew throws to Rich for IUFB1.  Thus, the audience entrace was necessary.

That's possible, but I doubt it. All they would have had to do was put the clock behind door #1, if they really wanted Drew to make his entrance from the doors. It seems to me that now, people have started to accept Drew as the host, so audience entrances would be more believable. Plus, audience members are not being paid to fill seats (as someone mentioned earlier) as was the case earlier in the season.

Today's show was not Drew's best. I could tell from the moment he took the microphone from Rachel. He seemed out of it.
On a happier note, it was nice to see Golden Road again so soon. Probably the last time we'll see it this season, but that's ok. Maybe 3 Strikes and Triple Play will pop up again before season's end.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »
Quote from: BRB_TheFireball
Pushy:  Either $4,047 or $4,701 could've been right.  (Don't even say it, Frank.)

I'm saying it.  Why, Fiery, why?  Why are you so deliberately stubborn on this matter?  There was no way that $4701 could have been right.  And there was virtually no way anyone would have actually guessed $4701.  If 99% of the show's most casual viewers can even pick up on that, why can't you, who should be a loyal friend and true?

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 07:40:10 PM »
I agree with Gavazzi here: Drew was not on top of his game starting with the mic handoff.  I thought the audience entrance made him a bit nervous, hence the poor first act.  But by second act, he should have warmed up and gotten better - and he didn't.  The whole show was a disappointment, save for the first two minutes which included the return of the audience entrance.

When was the last time Grand Game was lost on its first pick?  That was, quite simply, terrible. 

And, did anyone else notice the audience overall seemed "different" than usual?  I can't describe it, just seemed unusual.  Some of the picks for contestants today could have been better, IMO.  One of the worst shows this season by my standards.

Offline GedAlexNeil30

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »
When was the last time a number repeated in the price of the large prize?

I think it was in a 1984 playing for a $24K Lincoln Town Car.  I think the price was $24535.

And for those complaining about repeating numbers, I would complain when the contestant thinks they repeat in the smaller prizes.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
I think it was in a 1984 playing for a $24K Lincoln Town Car.  I think the price was $24535.

Actually, I found a more recent instance in one of Tony Harrison's videos, from 2000, there was a Viper with a price of $71,785.  I wouldn't be surprised if there has been at least one instance of repeating digits in the final prize since then.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »

Frank did, and I will, too:  Roger has already stated pretty much definitively that the first choice in Push Over is always going to be wrong.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.