Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/24/2008  (Read 14006 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/24/2008
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
The Price is Right - June 24, 2008
Production #4392K - Taped June 9, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Brandi

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Brandi Sherwood and Stephanie Schlund (one-off)
Wearing: Stop Staring

1   (Apple) Laptop/iPods (L)
JOSEPH 1600 VANESSA *1601 ELIZABETH 660 KIMBERLY 661 ($1820)

Vanessa from Kansas City, MO plays EAZY AZ 123

[1] (3) Broyhill Continents 3-Panel Screen (S)$400
[2] (2) Largo Counterheight Dining Group (L)1099
[3] (1) Mares Scuba Equipment (B)2250WIN!

2   Danby Silhouette 166-Bottle WIne Cooler (S)
+Joseph *1201 DORIS 1000 +Elizabeth 799 +Kimberly 901 ($1599)

Joseph plays TEN CHANCES

Cooler/
Radio
MCF Wallace Coffee Urn (B) Pontiac Vibe
(Std., AC, AT, Cargo, BlkHtr)(L)
WIN
WHA?

HUH?

WIN!
NO!

WIN!
:05
751 150 750
1:02
17308 18730
TIME
2:19

Joseph is NOT a Price watcher. How can you tell? When you have six chances to win the car, and you have the numbers he had, and you properly remember the zero rule, there would be no excuse to waste a chance - or poll the Penut Gallery for what seems like a minute at a time. He made the game hard, and it's not.

3   AquaCat 12.5 Catamaran (S)
MATTHEW 1500 Doris 999 +Elizabeth 1925 +Kimberly *2000 ($3495)

Kimberly plays FLIP FLOP for a (JVC) 47" LCD HDTV and a Broyhill McKenzie Entertainment Console (B&L)

Setup:84 87
Pick:48 87   (She "Flips")
Price:$4878   LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$3.495Kimberly45 + 75.00Through to Showcase Round
5,569Vanessa75 stay.75
20,219Joseph65 +   5.70

Yeah. Yeah. New cbs.com webpage animation for the ticket plug. Woo ... hoo.

4   Broilmaster T3 Gas Grill (B)
Matthew 950 Doris *1250 +Elizabeth 770 JUAN 900 ($1490)

Doris from Louisiana plays 1 RIGHT PRICE

Deering Sierra Banjo (B)$2549
(Sole) Motorized Treadmill (S)$1800$1800WIN!

5   Pathfinder 4 pc Luggage set (L&S)
Matthew 1 SYLVIA 950 +Elizabeth 1075 Juan *1100 ($1775)

Juan from Delano, CA plays CARD GAME for a Ford Fusion S (Std., 2.3l, Stereo, Tilt)(B)

Margin: $2000

Starting Bid:$15,000
1.K♣100016,000
2.6♠60016,600
2.2♦20016,800
4.10♣100017,800
PRICE$18,860
DIFF–1,060WIN!

On the games today, so far, we've only hit one bump in the road. Elizabeth, however, has hit a couple more. One more bump awaits her - Mimi, who will be towing her to the "First Four" Breakfast Club if she fails this time. With the last bid, can Elizabeth make her comeuppance?

6   MCF Italian Silverplate Flatware (B&L)
Matthew 1650 Sylvia 400 +Elizabeth *1300 JAMIE 1000 ($1589)

Elizabeth escapes! She plays PICK A PAIR for a trip to Mexico City (6n)(All)($4987)

(4) (Dial) Body Wash$5.99
(6) Nabisco Chips Ahoy! Cookies (bag)3.49KEEPS
(1) (Multi-Grain Cheerios)3.49WIN!
(2) (Pillsbury) Toaster Streudel
(3) Hot Pockets
(5) Kiss Featherlight Artificial Nails

SHOWDOWN #2
$5,839Doris  95 stay.95
6,576Elizabeth1001.00*$1000*   Bonus 10   Through to Showcase Round
20,635Juan  20 + 85OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Elizabeth has the honor.

SC1-Elizabeth WHAT MAKES A GOOD FRIEND
Heartland Paragon Range
Trip to Tahiti (6n @ Radisson)
Ford Explorer XLT (Std., Sensor)(S)
BID$31,000
PRICE38,796
DIFF–7,796
TOTAL$  7,576
SC2-Vanessa Broyhill Living Room Group
Carpet One Carpeting
DK Lifestyle Books (B)
Jacuzzi J465 Hot Tub (S)
BID$17,000
PRICE21,455
DIFF–4,455
TOTAL$27,024

Today's Pricing Games: 5 for 6 (...if only Kimberly had flip-flopped!)
Total Winnings: $84,768

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:42:51 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/24/2008
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
Drew was certainly a lot better today than he was yesterday.  He was warm and inviting when he welcomed everyone to the show and said hello to Rich.

The audience was about to throw things at Vanessa for initially placing the #1 block on the scuba gear, thankfully they convinced her to swap the #1 and #3 blocks' positions to make for a good start to today's show.

Yay, for the first time in over a month, Ten Chances is played!

I don't know about everyone else, but I loved that green backdrop for the two smaller prizes in Ten Chances.

Drew said that he thinks Ten Chances is one of the most difficult games on the show, I thought Joseph would have an easy time after he won the first prize right off the bat.  I think he was lost in communication when he wrote $751 as his first guess for the coffee urn and $17,308 for the car.  I really think Drew should hurry contestants along if it needs to come to that, or have them enforce the 10 second rule again, so that time can be used on other segments instead of having the show go into hurry-up mode.

Man that Flip Flop loss was just heartbreaking, just $9 away from the actual price of the wall and TV unit.

With the updated TPIR page at CBS's website, the online ticket plug necessitated a change and we saw it today.

Drew really needs to work on the reveal for Card Game.  He just rambles on about the highest amount the car can be in order for the contestant to win, and say "oh, you just won a car." without any enthusiasm.  He should treat that reveal as if he's doing the bidding round or the showcase reveals to make it more exciting.

I don't think I have seen anyone get more involved in Pick-a-Pair than Elizabeth.  She almost grabbed two items she believed had the same price and asked how many chances she had to win.  I also don't think I have seen anyone take a longer time deciding on which product she wanted to keep to win with a second chance.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the longest Pick-a-Pair playing of all time. Wow.

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: I let Frank decide, and he went with Vanessa
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
Ten Chances: Maybe it’s because I know the 0 rule, but I don’t think this game is the hardest game—it’s one of the easiest car games.  On the 4th chance, when the price was $17,308, I thought Joseph just put down the 8 at the end without really considering where he thought it might go.  Occasionally, I’ll think that: a contestant puts what he/she thought was the “extraneous digit” at the end when he/she learns they have to use all 5 digits.

Flip Flop:  My guess was “flop”. 84 seemed like they would be the first two numbers of the price, and since you can’t leave it as it is, then “flop” was the only other option.

Card Game:  It would be better if Drew read the price then said “You win/lose the car”.  At least this time he did reveal the price of the car.

Pick-a-Pair: Did Elizabeth think she had to move the prizes to the same podium?  That’s the only reason I can think of why she began to move the body wash.

SC1: My Bid: $20,533 / Diff: $18,263
SC2: My Bid: $15,245 / Diff: $6,210

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
Easy As 1-2-3: Well thank goodness the peanut gallery nagged Vanessa get the #1 out of the scuba gear there. I would put it in that order as well.

Ten Chances: Boy Joseph surely didn't make this game any easier with his guesses not to mention polling the peanut gallery which definitely like over a minute!  :roll: :oldevil: Not knowing the 0 rule is even worse. I'll say it's a miracle that he won. Lol.

Flip Flop: I had a feeling the peanut gallery played a role in costing Kimberly that entertainment console. MO.

Post-SCSD #1: Glad to see the new version of the CBS.com website for the ticket plug.

One Right Price: I would put it on the treadmill as well.

Card Game: I barely heard Drew say the price of the car there. He needs to read it out loud so that not only the contestant can hear it but the audience as well. Great win though.

Pick-A-Pair: First Elizabeth takes the product which was the body wash off that podium there. Second on how many chances she has to win. Third took a while to pick which product to keep and pair that with another product. And fourth the same thing happens when picking on another product with the same price as the cookies. After all of that she still manages to win. Unbelievable!  :roll:

Showcases: I would bid $33,000 on Elizabeth's showcase and $17,500 on Vanessa's showcase. Yet for Vanessa it was a wise move to not bid $22,000 as she almost did that. She would go over had she done that. She didn't and as a result she (Vanessa that is) was the big winner today.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
It looks like Drew was much better today then yesterday.  I guess yesterday he was just nervous coming through the audience for the first time.

I don't think that 10 Chances is a hard game.  I think the contestants make it harder than it is.  Plus, it seems that every contestant who plays this game polls the audience for every guess.  Also, it doesn't help when contestants don't know the 0 rule.  Even my dad, who rarely watches the show these days, knows every price ends in a 0 in this game.  I thought Joseph was going to lose, but by some miracle, he pulled out a win.

It seems to me that the audience tends to think that flip-flopping is always wrong.  If only Kimberly had went with her initial guess of flip-flopping, she would've won, and it would've been a perfect show.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Online Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 04:36:11 PM »
Once again denied a perfect show, this time by the Peanut Gallery...what are the chances that two items (TV / furniture) have a even-numbered price? 1/4. :roll:

A- for today, would have been an A if Joseph had given us a convincing win. I was feeling great when he put 75- in chance #2, but I lost all hope on that 1...Cardy is also a meh game now, so sad to see it quickened. Drew needs to fix his reveal so he says the price before the crowd chants, I see what he's trying to change but I don't think this game's reveal in particular can be modified much.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
I was really surprised that Drew said Ten Chances was one of the hardest games on the show.  That's complete opposite from Bob.  Bob had often commented how it was one of the easiest games on the show.

I'm amazed Eazy az 1-2-3 was won.  That was so not meant to be won!  Can't believe Vanessa didn't underprice the scuba gear.  If the show hadn't made me so aware of scuba gear prices, I know I never would've guessed it to be the most expensive!

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
Eazy az 123: For a moment, I thought it would be one of those $2000 screens. Good thing it took a stalling to the Peanut Gallery while to get the right blocks on the prizes.

Ten Chances: I agree that this Joseph is not a Price Watcher. Why would you have a marker in your hand and then call out the price (that does not end in 0)? Then it took a while to write a chance (which might not end in 0, causing some to boo and groan). I don't know what that/those member(s) of the Peanut Gallery were thinking about when they were shouting and holding their fingers for a 1 for the coffee urn. Then comes the possibility of writing down a price over $70,000. I give a little credit to the gallery for letting this Joseph know the price of the Vibe starts with 1. On the last chance, to me, it sounded like the whole Gallery was on a staged consensus as to which numbers to use. It made me think this Joseph's about to get the car, which he did. Did he deserve to win?

Flip Flop: It has been a while that I really wanted to Flip Flop a price. I was okay when Kimberly left the price at 4878, but methinks the Peanut Gallery talked her out of it, only wanting her to only Flip. I knew for sure 8487 needed to be Flip Flopped. Boy, was that a flopping Flip!

1 Right Price: $1800 for a banjo seems too much for me. It's gotta be for the treadmill. The good news: $1800 is for the treadmill. The bad news: I thought the banjo would be less than less than $1000. Boy, seeing that $2549 really proved me wrong!

Card Game: I wanted Juan to go just one more time. Not necessary.

One Bid 6: Boy, is my face red for wanting Elizabeth to bid 401. That would've sent her "home."

Pick-a-Pair: Elizabeth's literal picking of the products takes me back to Time is Money. I kinda miss Time is Money. I would've tried to pair the body wash with the Kiss nails. $5.99 for Chips Ahoy!? What store would sell those at that price? Definitely not Wal-Mart (or your local grocery store). Since Elizabeth kept the cookies, I wanted to pair that with the toaster streudel because I spent over four dollars for that (cereal) a couple of weeks ago. Well, maybe the size of the box determined it was $3.49 (Maybe I brought a larger box for $4.39ish). I think I may have lost this one if my original choice was wrong.

Before I started this post, I realized we have yet another 5/6er due to a bad choice/judgement/etc. This and that double overbid yesterday really wanted me to let out a loud [mrrp erroo buzzer]. I feel a little better now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:22:46 PM by thewhammy_2000 »
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Much much better show today than yesterday. Lots of hillarious moments, Drew was much better and showed much enthusiasm.

Flip Flop was heartbreaking to say the least.

Needless to say that was the funnest playing of Pick-a-Pair we've ever or probably will ever see. That was just hillarious. I hope someone youtubed that playing.

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »
Maybe it’s because I know the 0 rule, but I don’t think this game is the hardest game—it’s one of the easiest car games.

I'd second that. I know that awhile back, someone figured out that if you know the 0 rule, it's literally impossible not to win the first 2 prizes. In fact, unless you use every #, you will end up with at least 5-6 chances at the car. It's only difficult because we've had a string of people who have no clue how to play it. and Drew. PLEASE hurry people up. It's gotten painful

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
Once again denied a perfect show, this time by the Peanut Gallery...what are the chances that two items (TV / furniture) have a even-numbered price? 1/4. :roll:

Except that the prices could have both been odd as well; odd + odd = even.  So it was 50/50.  That's one reason I don't particularly like Flip-Flop, especially with this kind of setup; a $9 difference between two prices for a 4-digit prize is just too small.

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
To echo the sentiment, I third the proposition regarding Ten Chances, so much so that I used to think (when I was younger) that Ten Chances is the pricing game I would want to play because, its stagings at best guarantee a LFAT will win a new car and at worst offer some of the best & most reasonable chances (no pun intended) for a LFAT to do so.

Take today's staging, for example.  Assuming the unspoken zero rule does apply and having some other nowadays, relatively basic, TPIR-related sense (such as realizing that the second prize would not have a price so low as to be $1xx, and that the price of a Pontiac Vibe starts with a "1" but not with "13"), it would take not more than two chances to win the first prize, not more than four chances to win the second prize, and not more than four chances to win the car, meaning that a LFAT could not but win Ten Chances as staged on the episode which aired today.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
I was really surprised that Drew said Ten Chances was one of the hardest games on the show.  That's complete opposite from Bob.  Bob had often commented how it was one of the easiest games on the show.

They're both right. If you are an LFaT, which Bob seemed to assume everyone was until proven otherwise, and you know that everything ends in 0 (or very rarely, 5 if there is no 0 for the SP), you should breeze right through it, even with a difficult car price. If you have no idea what you're doing and not too much common sense, it's not so easy. And yet someone fairly clueless managed to win today.
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:46 PM »
Eazy: I'm glad that Vanessa held on to her top after she won.  We don't want another Yolanda moment.  Ummmm... on second thought... :oldlol:

10C:  Yay!  Ten Chances! :P $751?!  $150?!  $17,308?!  Are you kidding me?!  For the third straight time, I engaged my :fork: on a 10C contestant... and for the third straight time, the contestant proved me wrong.  Maybe I should :fork: 10C contestants more often.  That seems to guarantee that they will win.

Flippy:  That was hard.  Either $4,878 or $4,887 could've been right.  And it's shame that one extra flop would've ultimately given us a perfect show.

1RP:  I don't know how that was won.  I thought the treadmill was way more than $1,800.  Stupid friggin' random banjo...

Card:  Is that the first time that the host cut the cards rather than the contestant?

Pick A Pair:  Wow, almost $5,000 for a trip to Mexico?  I think that Elizabeth had the longest playing of PAP in history.

My showcase bids:
SUV--$39,007
Random room/spa--$21,007
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:45:53 PM by Joe_Capitano »
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16