Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/30/2008  (Read 20797 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/30/2008
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »
In case you haven't noticed, this is show #177 of Price Season 36. Based on the past few seasons we're essentially into overtime.

The Price is Right - June 30, 2008
Production #4401K - Taped June 11, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left 
Handoff: Lanisha

Models of the Day: Lanisha Cole, Stephanie Schlund and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Scala

1   Morey Ultimate Water Package (S)
DANIEL 450 LINDA 850 MARY LOU *950 RICHARD 1100 ($1096)

Mary Lou from Rancho Cucamonga, CA plays SWITCH? for 2 trips...

Aspen (6n @ Snowmass)(B)$3387$4426
Atlanta (AirTran; 6n @ Hilton)(L)$4426SWITCH!$3387WIN!

2   Largo Pina Colada Dining Group (B)
+Daniel 1250 +Linda 1300 ROLAND *800 +Richard 1025 ($899)

Roland, a Korean War vet, plays DICE GAME for a Ford Focus S (Std., AT, ALB, Cargo, Prot)(S)

[6][5]6
Rolls:   $1[6][2][5][5]
[6][–][2]PAINFUL LOSS

3   2 Fuji Film 5MP Digital Cameras (L&S)
+Daniel 1000 +Linda *700 MELISSA 1250 +Richard 975 ($810)

Linda plays CREDIT CARD for the usual requisite...

$2200
(5) Bosch Power Tools/CD Player$5331667
(1) Rosenthal Queen Crystal Stemware1344323
(3) Minden Master Grill462LOSS
(2) Ibanez Acoustic Electric Guitar1889
(4) Recumbent Exercise Bike700

Oopsie of the day: Drew asks for the credit limit - without having Linda insert the phony card into the phony ATM machine. yeah, save a step and cut to the chase.

SHOWDOWN #1
$810Linda30 + 90OV
1,096Roland95.95Through to Showcase Round
8,909Mary Lou30 + 40.70

4   (MIcrosoft Wii) Video Game Package (B)
+Daniel *700 RODERICK 670 Melissa 600 +Richard 725 ($710)

Daniel from Arizona plays SIDE BY SIDE for a Beachcomber Hot Tub (L&S)

$(79)←85   LOSS   ($8579)

...and, no. The ladies sitting up there like the Kappa logo do not come with it. Stop asking.

5   Justex Aspira Men's Watch (from above)
SHIRLEY (OS) 895 Roderick *1000 Melissa 950 +Richard 550 ($2330)

Roderick from San Leandro, CA plays BULLSEYE for an Ashley Carlisle Bedroom Group and a Comfort Solutions Laura Ashley Sleep Set (S)($3599)

(5) (Mozetta) Sliced Peperoncini4 x 2.15$8.60*[N O]
(4) (Hersheys) Syrup (squeezer)6 x 2.2513.50XN O
(1) (Fiji) Bottled Water (1l)5 x 1.597.95*[BULLSEYE]   WIN!
(2) (Jif) Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter (28 oz)
(3) (Maxwell House) Coffee (13 oz)

Well, Richard, what are you going to do? You didn't one-up when you should have and you've lost the last bid. Can you find a way to join Drew on stage or will you face Mimi at the "First Four" Breakfast Club?

6   Dimplex Scottsdale Outdoor Electric Firepace (L)
Shirley *1501 DAVID 1350 Melissa 1500 +Richard 1225 ($1599)

Richard heads off to the clubhouse while Shirley from Phoenix, AZ plays COVER UP for a Chrysler PT Cruiser LX (Std., 2.4l, AC)(B)

Setup    8 1st Try [1] 6 [4] 9   2
3 4 2nd Try [1][8][4] 6 [5]
6 9 8 3rd Try [1][8][4] 7 [5]   LOSS   ($18,435)
3 5 7 5
1 6 4 6 1
  3 8 9 8 2
$2 2 3 5 0

...and once again we have a demonstration of why you should go with your first instinct. If Shirley had gone with her gut and not polled Them, you wouldn't be reading this now.

SHOWDOWN #2Spinoff
$710Daniel15 + 55.70.65
1,599Shirley45 + 25.70.85Through to Showcase Round
5,929Roderick45 + 80OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Shirley has the honor.

SC1-Roland Ashley Raleigh Creek Living Room Group
Carpet One Carpeting
(Garmin Street Pilot) GPS System (B)
2 Kawasaki Ninja 650R Motorcycles (S)
BID$19,000
PRICE18,878
DIFFOVER
SC2-Shirley PROJECTS THEY'RE WORKING ON AT THE BOTANICAL RESEARCH DEPT.
(Panasonic) Jukebox Theater System (B)
Golden West Billiard Table (S)
Ford Escape Hybrid (Std., Outlet)(B)
BID$29,000
PRICE31,844
DIFF–2,844
TOTAL$33,443

PRODUCT PLACEMENT DEPT. (Not that Price isn't a haven for it as it is, but): Spay or neuter. Barker would want you to do that. But, to heck with that. What about "Morris" the finicky?

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $50,897

...and then, there were 13.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:42:06 PM by Marc »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/30/2008
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
Apparently in the "postseason" for Price, the DOB wants to be especially conservative, as most of today's setups were just plain evil. The exception was Cover, but either the contestant or the Peanut Gallery doesn't follow the Gavazzi theorem (new commandment for the TPiR Strategy Guide: Thou shalt not listen to the Peanut Gallery).

Painful WSD for Roland, cheated out of a repeating-digits car, as well. It's been awhile since a DSW...

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
This show was just flat out odd.

S? - RANCHO CUCAMONGA!!! Fairly easy, Aspen had to be more than Atlanta.

Dicey: "I'm a professional with a long microphone, don't you worry about me." LOL Drew! That price had Dob written all over it.

Credit Card: Oops Drew! "Ding, there's your credit limit." lol! The Dob Stopped the entire chat room today!

SCSD1: Where's the ticket plug??

Sidey: The Dob stopped practically the entire chat room again!

Bullseye: What luck!

Covery: Piece of cake.

Post Showcase Reveal: Was that an advertisement??

Drew was off today, he knew it, and he had fun with it. What a show.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:56:12 PM by Todd »
Signatures are overrated.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
PRODUCT PLACEMENT DEPT. (Not that Price isn't a haven for it as it is, but): Spay or neuter. Barker would want you to do that. But, to heck with that. What about "Morris" the finicky?

I noticed this on gettyimages the other day. Apparently CBS, The Price is Right, and 9Lives are holding a contest/promotion where people can send in videos of their cat and be featured in a commercial. Personally, my favorite of the pictures is #81695637... lol
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:03:06 PM »
Pretty abysmal lineup today.  Except for Credit Card, it was like intended to absolutely rush though absolutely everything.  I don't get why sometimes, Roger is able to easily put dozens of longer games together, and other times, we wind up with an SP-less day like this.  Cover Up could've easily been Bonus Game at a minimum, right?

I'm really surprised the entire audience wanted Mary Lou to switch.  Not switching looked way more correct, unless the audience just didn't know their geography, or something.

By putting the hidden bullseye behind the water, it's pretty clear that Roger kinda' wants Bullseye to have a perfect season, probably.

Dice Game's result surprised me.  Thought for sure that fourth digit was going to be a 1.  Didn't occur to me that Roger might put another 6 in the price.

Quote from: Todd
S? -...Fairly easy, Aspen had to be more than Atlanta.

You're apparently not alone in your assertion that it was easy, but how exactly did the closer-to-LA destination have to be more than the farther-from-LA destination?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:06:05 PM by Frank15 »

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »
I agree with Todd's asessment of today's show being odd because it certainly was, esp. with Drew wanting the credit limit in Credit Card before the card was even inserted. Speaking of odd this entire lineup was odd. I agree with what Frank said in his post-where was the lineup today? Surely Credit Card didn't merit not having a SP game today, because 3 Strikes showing up a couple weeks back didn't keep Roger from playing Master Key last in that show. Might it be the case that Dice Game was a substitute for a longer game such as Pocket Change today?

Poor Roland,he just had no luck today.First that ultra painful loss in Dice Game and then a painful overbid in the showcase. He deserved better.

Side by Side showing up was a welcome sight. That price for the spa was just nasty. I'm not sure anyone was gonna win that today.

I thought for sure we was gonna have our first loss of the season in Bullseye today.

Cover Up: D'oh. That's what happens when you rely on the peanut gallery-you get burned.

Showcases: Shirley sure made up for that loss in Cover Up with an outstanding bid here. Well done.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:12:57 PM by rob79 »

Offline Mr. Matté

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:33:38 PM »
Maybe it was just me, but today's show didn't seem as fun and/or as surprising as usual.  With the edited out ticket plug and the fact that most of the previous games were quickies, I was expecting something good to occur at the end of the show; for example: a long playing of Three Strikes sixth or a Showcase Showdown that would last forever (I got excited during that first spinoff), but none of that happened.  I felt kinda let down at the end.
So long!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
Very odd show today.  Drew was off several times, but made jokes about it (namely forgetting to insert the card into the Credit Card prop), some very evil setups indeed (including a very painful Dicey loss), the ticket plug cut for some reason, and the product placement at the end of the Showcases.  Overall, though, still a fairly decent show, although Roland's overbid on the motorbikes was just painful.

OVERALL: 3.5/5.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »
Switch?: I would've switched them.

Dice Game: Ah! That dreaded 4th number there!  :evil: Tough break there for Roland.

Credit Card: Ah Drew? Don't you think you should let that contestant put the credit card in to know what her credit limit is?  :oldlol: That stemware really killed it for Linda.

SCSD #1: I wanted Linda to win.  :evil:

Side By Side: When will contestants especially the ones who are male ever learn that the models don't come with the prize.  :roll: Stop it already!  :roll: I went with the audience and Daniel there.  :evil:

Bullseye: Roderick definitely overshot a bit on the Hershey's chocolate syrup. Plus he managed to get 5 of the water only. Luckily the water contained the hidden bullseye. I say it was pure luck as well that he won.

Cover Up: Shirley should've went with her first instinct. But no she went with the peanut gallery and looked what happened!  :roll: Nice job guys!  :oldevil:

Showcase: Oh poor Roland. This was definitely a heartbreaking day for him. Not only did he lost in Dice Game for a car by a repeated digit but have a painful  :wsd: oh the showcase there.  :-( You gotta feel for him there. For Shirley though she definitely made up for that tragic loss in Cover Up to make a good bid on her showcase and win her a car today.

Post Showcase: I too noticed that advertisement for 9 Lives there. I have a feeling whoever will be the winning cat I would assume it would be aired during TPIR. How long is that contest last anyways?

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:49 PM »
Maybe it was just me, but today's show didn't seem as fun and/or as surprising as usual.  With the edited out ticket plug and the fact that most of the previous games were quickies, I was expecting something good to occur at the end of the show; for example: a long playing of Three Strikes sixth or a Showcase Showdown that would last forever (I got excited during that first spinoff), but none of that happened.  I felt kinda let down at the end.

I feel the same way. I got excited thinking we'd see a big car game (3X, 10C, TP, etc.), and then we see......... Cover Up. *sigh*

Lineup was pretty lame today.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
I loved today's show.  Drew was fouling up constantly, but he was still on his game, except for a few seconds at the very end of Bullseye.  I can deal with his flubbing on days like this, where he's able to joke about it.  I thought his screwup at the beginning of Credit Card was especially funny.

Regardless of the explanation, seeing that cat food plug during the end of the Showcase was weird.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
Switch:  Well, Aspen is a resort.  The Snowmass must be a sweet hotel.

Dice Game: Roland was so close to conquering the Dob.  That set up was just awful.

Credit Card:  If we can give Rich a free pass for calling a refrigerator an upright piano, I'm gonna give Drew a free pass for forgetting the credit card.  He handled it perfectly, though, and even took shots at himself later on in the show.  As for the game, that Guitar didn't look $1,889.  The stemware wasn't a wise decision.  This game could have been won.

SCSD 1:  Four things could have happened:  1) Drew could have butchered his kick to the plug or break so badly that it was unusable, 2) There were technical problems galore and this was a wash (but I would thing they could re-shoot under the right circumstances), 3) Whoever was hitting the buttons for commercials hit the fade button way too early, or 4) They were so over time that they had to cut it.  Either way, I think it was an unnecessary sacrifice.

Side By Side:  I almost wish they could have edited the "models coming with the spa" mess instead of the ticket plug.  This was a tough setup, but he had it coming to him after that statement.

Bullseye:  Not bad playing.  One more peperoncini and he would have won.  Lucky for him, he got the hidden Bullseye.

Cover Up:   Stick with your gut.  If you have an idea what it is, then you probably have enough of a clue.  Only go to the crowd when you have no idea.

Showcases:  Good bid from Shirley and Roland's was a heartbreaker.  He might be the hard luck guy of the season.

While a weird show, this was actually entertaining.  I've seen far worse.  Remember, as long as you don't make numerous mistakes, if you play it off nicely, you still look good.  Just don't take that for granted.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
Drew was having a lot of fun today, he played off his mistakes he made as if he was Chuck Woolery or Bert Convy and made the show entertaining.  I also laughed at the tension he was building up for revealing the ARPs of some of the IUFBs.

Wow, we got to hear a pretty long playing of one of the 2007 cues in Switch? today.

"I'm a professional with a long microphone, don't you worry about me." :lol:

It was such a shame that Roland lost by the fourth number, he seemed such a nice guy and he said he watched the show for years.

"Sebastian, when you're 18 and you're watching this show in reruns, don't kill me."  Later, after Drew forgets that the credit card must be inserted into the slot, "..ding, there's your credit limit." :lol:

We got to hear a longer than usual playing of the Fortune Hunter Cue today, and I laughed at how Drew acknowledge Rich had to read a lot of copy for that game.

I really wondered why they went to commercial without airing the ticket plug, for timing reason perhaps?  I really don't think there is a shortage of tickets like the latter half of Bob's last season to warrant not showing it.

"Roderick, a trip up to the stage, like respect is something you earn." :lol:

I don't think I have ever seen someone so finicky in Side By Side as much as Daniel has.  

Well, the "secret bullseye" came up again today.  Drew should though improve the excitement of finding the "secret bullseye" and congratulating the winning contestants in Bullseye, now that I think of it.

Drew really emulated Bob when starting to explain the rules of Cover Up by explaining the price of the car is not $22,350 and the way he said "No!" three times.

It is a darn shame that if Shirley stuck with her gut, she would have won the car.

I will agree in saying that seeing the pet food plug as Drew was giving the "spay and neuter" reminder was odd, I wonder if it is permanent or not.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »
Yeah, whenever Aspen is concerned, the "distance rule" goes out the window. It's almost always the more expensive of two trip destinations when it's used on the show.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 07:49:39 PM »
I thought today's show was enjoyable overall, but to me, Drew really wasn't at his best in Bullseye. At the end of the game, he went into "mumble mode" and did the hidden bullseye reveal with all the excitement of last Thursday's dinner leftovers. Then, after finding the hidden bullsye, he started checking the other items for no apparent reason. I had to explain to my mom why Drew was saying "Sorry...sorry" even though the contestant was celebrating. Thankfully, he was better than that at most every other point in the show today. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:53:04 PM by temptation1979ga »