Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/30/2008  (Read 20796 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/30/2008
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
?Switch?:  WHOO Atlanta! :-D

Dice:  "I'm a professional with a long microphone.  Don't you worry about me."  Another classic line! :-D Two sixes and a five... Roger was really hoping for a loss, wasn't he?

Credit:  I'm surprised to see this played in the third slot again this season.  WTF, Stan?!  Fortune Hunter cue?!  I seem to recall that the last time the Fortune Hunter cue was played for Credit Card was on February 15, 2006... and Credit Card was played in the third slot on that day as well.  Ummmm, Drew?  You're supposed to reveal the credit limit after the contestant puts the card in the slot. :P That was a surprisingly cheap exercise bike.  I never would've picked that.

Side:  That was hard.  Both prices looked right.

Smother Up:  What did Gene Rayburn always say about first instincts?  Go with them.

SC #2:  Yay!  Showcase '83 cue! :P

My showcase bids:
Room/motorcycles--$18,407
SUV--$29,307
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »
Switch:  Id have lost this one, as I would have assumed that since Atlanta was the futherest from LA, that the prices should have been switched.  SHE GETS A DOB STOPPER AWARD. ;-)

Dice Game:  THE DOB DIDNT WANT THAT CAR WON.  That was the most painful loss Ive seen in a long time.   Roland was the kind of contestant that you "root for".   He didnt 1 dollar people to get on stage, and he didnt ask any lame, stupid or sexist questions unlike the person who played Side By Side.

Credit Card:  Evil set up.   That grill fooled me.

Side By Side:  He deserved to lose, asking that same tired, stupid question.  A note to all, its not funny anymore.

Bullseye:  This playing shows why the hidden bullseye needs to be removed from the game, as it rewards contestants who cant grocery shop.  Give the player 3 chances to hit the bulleye and leave it like that,  Sink or Swim

Cover Up:  After running on stage early, acting "lost" when she couldnt find her spot in bidders row, and taking forever and a day to make her bid on the fireplace, only to one-up someone, I wasnt rooting for her to win.  Despite that again,as a previous poster pointed out,  think for yourself, sink or swim using your own brain cells.  If she had done that . she would have won the car.

Showcases:  Roland, as a veteran definately deserved better karma today.  Over by $120 plus dollars.  God has a "nicer" reward for you in heaven my friend.

Keith
4-10-08
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:19:30 PM by 2008nowandthen »

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »
Dice Game:  THE DOB DIDNT WANT THAT CAR WON. 
See - here's the problem.... In Dice Game, what the contestant rolls is outside Roger's ability to influence the outcome of the game.  Had Roland rolled a 1, would your reaction have been that Roger practically handed the car to him?  I'd have loved to see Roland win the car just as much as everyone else, but Roger really couldn't have force a loss in this game, could he?

Offline ChinookUT

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
Good show today.

I was impressed most by Roland; I believed him when he mentioned having watched the show for many years.  And that being said, it was incredibly painful to watch him lose both his pricing game via a tough setup, and go over on his showcase by about $125.

Today's show is an example of why I feel Drew was ultimately a decent choice of host - yes, he made a couple of major blunders, but each time he recovered and followed the mistake with a quick joke.

I'd have loved to see Roland win the car just as much as everyone else, but Roger really couldn't have force a loss in this game, could he?

I don't think that's what Keith meant.  Of course Roger can't force a loss in Dice Game, but a price of $16,562?  I agree with Keith - for the lack of a better explanation, Roger didn't want that car won.
ChinookUT: Avid Price watcher since ~1985

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:12 AM »
I don't think that's what Keith meant.  Of course Roger can't force a loss in Dice Game, but a price of $16,562?  I agree with Keith - for the lack of a better explanation, Roger didn't want that car won.
I guess I just don't get it.  I could see it if this car was offered in Card Game, with it's starting bid at $15,000.  But if the car was $15,435, would have have been, for lack of a better term, more winnable in Dice Game?  No matter the digits in the car, you have the same odds of rolling the correct number.  Bad luck in Dice Game is just that, bad luck...

Offline ChinookUT

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
No matter the digits in the car, you have the same odds of rolling the correct number.

That's true.  But take the following hypothetical example:

Dice Game is played twice this week.  Today, it's played for a Ford Focus with options including paint & fabric protection, and is worth $16,562.  In addition, let's hypothetically say that it's also played on Friday for the Dodge Caliber model worth $16,125.  For the average contestant who does not regularly watch the show, both of these cars are difficult to win, because one faulty roll on any number - such as rolling a 2 when the correct digit is 1 - will doom the average contestant, who plays Dice Game by the odds.

Still, one of these cars is significantly easier to win than the other, even if you don't know the price of the Caliber by heart.  That's because most contestants assume, in Dice Game, that the last number is probably going to be a 5.  Even when Rich names the car's options, if any, the average contestant won't think much of paint & fabric protection.

Back to the hypothetical situation.  Let's say that the contestants of both playings roll the second, third and fourth numbers exactly.  In each case they need just one more good roll, on the final digit, to win the car.  In each case, they roll a 3.  My money says that both contestants will say higher based on what I said in the previous paragraph.  The contestant on Friday wins the Caliber, but today's contestant loses on the Focus.

That's why Roger's setup in Dice Game is so vital to the odds of winning.
ChinookUT: Avid Price watcher since ~1985

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »

ChinookUT,

Thank you for pointing out "what I meant" in my orginal post.  It is tiresome to have to explain what I mean by every single post I make.  The numbers in the price of the car in the Dice Game today were hard-evil, simple as that.  Who would guess that the 4th number would be a 6.when rolling a 5, especially fter the 2nd number in the car was a 6. not too many.

Keith
4-10-08

Online Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:57 AM »
I wasn't paying attention, and missed the cat food plug at the end, and it's not shown on Innertube....

So, Drew himself said it?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
Who would guess that the 4th number would be a 6.

Who has any clue in any game what the fourth number is?

(And you and I don't count.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline UAB-Kirksville

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:53:23 AM »
Switch:  Id have lost this one, as I would have assumed that since Atlanta was the futherest from LA, that the prices should have been switched.  SHE GETS A DOB STOPPER AWARD. ;-)

I don't see why so many people are surprised by this. If you paid any attention at all to the copy, it was painfully obvious Atlanta was a trip on the cheap. I mean, Airtran? No description of the room at all at the the hotel? Then, you have all the luxury options at Aspen that were mentioned. I couldn't see any reason not to switch after hearing Rich read the copy.

Offline 2008nowandthen

• 4/10/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:53:59 AM »
What I meant to say Steve was that unless you rolled a 1,2, or a 6, the contestant probably would have "missed that number"  The Dice Game , along with most of the other games today seemed harder, thats all.

Your right UAB-Kirksville, it was a better description for Aspen.   Thus, thats why I said, I would have lost Switch today.  I remember when I was on stage with Drew, I couldnt tell you "squat" about the prize copy that Rich read for my bedroom set, I was so nervous.
'
Keith
4-10-08
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:56:49 AM by 2008nowandthen »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »
What I meant to say Steve was that unless you rolled a 1,2, or a 6, the contestant probably would have "missed that number"  The Dice Game , along with most of the other games today seemed harder, thats all.

Seems like a 50/50 shot to me.

...actually, no.  It seems like a 67/33 shot to me.  Why would your average contestant, who is most likely to simply go with the odds, pick "lower" if he'd rolled a 3?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 07:30:33 AM »
I guess I just don't get it.  I could see it if this car was offered in Card Game, with it's starting bid at $15,000.  But if the car was $15,435, would have have been, for lack of a better term, more winnable in Dice Game? 

Yes.

A contestant who is going with the odds will never miss a 4 or a 3.

However, a contestant going with the odds will miss a 6 if they roll a 4 or a 5. 

Therefore, a price with two 6's is much harder to win than a price with a 4 and a 3.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 09:11:21 AM »
Switch?: Switching is what I should've done.  :-) Good win.

Dice: OUCH!!!  :evil: Seeing a nice player like Roland lose in such a heartbreaking way was just too sad.  :cry:

Credit: Um, Drew...What about her credit card?  :lol: That exercise bike would've not been one of my choices.

Side: Not $7985??!!  :-o :-o :-o I'm appalled.

Bullseye: At least the hidden bullseye saved the day again.

Cover: Your First Instincts....Stick with them, People!!!

Showcases: I hope Roland's life goes better than the nightmare he had to bear this day.  :wsd: ::( And what's up with that mini-produt placement while Drew signed off? Oh, please don't let them clutter it up like Wheel.

A 2.50-star show.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2008, 09:21:52 AM »
So, Drew himself said it?

Nope. It was a graphic on the bottom of the screen with words on it with the webpage for the catfood on it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:25:04 AM by cu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.