Author Topic: US Resident or US Citizen?  (Read 6416 times)

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
US Resident or US Citizen?
« on: July 02, 2008, 11:53:25 AM »
I read ClockGameJohn's post.

I went to TPIR a few years ago when I was still living in the US. Thankfully, I can still watch it everyday since the launch of Innertube online. I'm planning on heading back for my own wedding in CA and a Price is Right honeymoon, probably next year.

Does anyone know if you have to be a US resident or is being a US Citizen enough to be eligible? I have a SS number (and proof), but since I don't live in the US, I'm not a resident. Any insight would be helpful.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: US Resident or US Citizen?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
If you were born in the US, it's not a problem. I know people from Canada are allowed to be on the show. Where are you now?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
Hong Kong, China

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »
OK. I'm not sure about this one. Were you born in the US?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:24:24 PM »
Yes, have a US passport, SS #, and can vote.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »
OK, you're good.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008

Offline SenorBeef

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
I plan on going sometime in my life with a couple of friends and this is exactly what we were wondering. We weren't sure if we would be eligible because Puertoricans are ineligible for many contests originating in the U.S. and other events. Although I do think there was a Puertorican contestant this season or last season but, IIRC, she was living in the U.S. We do have SS#'s and U.S. Passports as well, however we can't vote for President.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:24:52 PM »
I plan on going sometime in my life with a couple of friends and this is exactly what we were wondering. We weren't sure if we would be eligible because Puertoricans are ineligible for many contests originating in the U.S. and other events. Although I do think there was a Puertorican contestant this season or last season but, IIRC, she was living in the U.S. We do have SS#'s and U.S. Passports as well, however we can't vote for President.

If you have a SS# and a photo ID then you should be OK - the SS# is necessary for income tax reporting purposes.  However, if you're from another country and you don't have a SS#, upon receipt of your prizes you will be charged 37% of the value of the prizes you win (for taxes) if you win more than $1500.

Offline Dietevil

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »
So actually, the only way to truly be ineligible to play is to have been on the show in the past 10 years? Anyone can be a contestant from anyone in the world subject to that 37% charge?

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
So actually, the only way to truly be ineligible to play is to have been on the show in the past 10 years? Anyone can be a contestant from anyone in the world subject to that 37% charge?

That is correct. Anybody from any country in the world can be eligible, although I would imagine there are restrictions if you're from somewhere like Cuba or North Korea... lol (I don't think you would ever see this, so there would be no need to announce it).

And I believe Volty is correct in regards to the 37% charge. The IRS typically requires companies to assess taxes immediately on income to non-resident aliens (the prizes on the show are considered a form of income) - this is done because of the simple fact that a non-resident alien could just refuse to pay their taxes after being paid or receiving prizes, and there's nothing the IRS could do about it, as the alien would be back in his/her country already.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:57:15 PM »

Or work for, or be related to, anyone who works for CBS, their affiliates, or any known sponsors of the show.

Or be running for public office.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Or work for, or be related to, anyone who works for CBS, their affiliates, or any known sponsors of the show.

Or be running for public office.

Well of course, I forgot to mention all of that. But that should be obvious.  :P

Interestingly enough, the reason I didn't go see TPiR as soon as I was 18 was the "running for public office" disqualification (I ran for Mayor of my hometown and lost... by a lot), and I wanted to be a contestant, dern it!
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.