Author Topic: Which do you hate more?  (Read 5176 times)

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
Which do you hate more?
« on: July 28, 2006, 05:07:29 PM »
Which do you hate more; smart and crafty contestants who lose because of rare bad luck, or clueless players who somehow win their games? For me, both are annoying. But I really dislike clueless contestants who bumble their way to winning (i.e., Joy playing Ten Chances). What does everyone else think?

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Which do you hate more?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »
I hate the first choice... smart and crafty who lose b/c of bad luck.  Sometimes the clueless contestants are funniest!

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:15:37 PM »
This is a good question! I would say rare bad luck. At least you can get a good laugh or two out of a clueless contestant stumbling their way to a win.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:17:40 PM »

Alfonzo wrote:
This is a good question! I would say rare bad luck. At least you can get a good laugh or two out of a clueless contestant stumbling their way to a win.

I agree, clueless contestants are usually pretty funny to watch.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 06:41:16 PM »
I'll say I hate smart/crafty contestants losing because of rare bad luck more than clueless players who get good luck and win just because a win can just about never be unenjoyable to watch.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 07:41:01 PM »

Alfonzo wrote:
This is a good question!

How?  It's fairly negative and doesn't really deal with something the production staff can't really prevent.

But it is a lot better than best Showcase theme, greatest win, or best SP pricing format; I'll give it that.

Anyway, I'll say I more dislike the clueless players who win their games.  The smart and crafty ones tend to impress me.  If they lose, then they can't really do much about "rare bad luck"; but clueless contestants tend to annoy me, and as a result, when they win, that irks me.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Aaron A. Camp

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:43:47 PM »
It seems like savvy contestants lose Three Strikes because of bad luck, but when it is won, the contestant seems to bumble his/her way through. Strange!

Offline gottabemark9

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:42:17 PM »
clueless contestants are the best!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:15 AM »
I'd rather watch a good contestant get bitten by bad luck, than watch a clueless contestant win his/her pricing game.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 02:56:10 PM »
I hate them both as well.  It's hard to say which one I hate more, but I will go with good players who get stung by the Bad Luck Bee.  Bad players sometimes can be really entertaining, where as playing well and losing just plain sucks.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 08:04:20 PM »

Nick wrote:

Alfonzo wrote:
This is a good question!

How?  It's fairly negative and doesn't really deal with something the production staff can't really prevent.

The production staff could certainly prevent smart contestants who are good at pricing from falling to the bad luck that's possible in games in which there's no way to guarantee a win.

I enjoy the "clueless" players more because those are usually the ones Barker seems to have more fun with.  But it's definitely a disappointment to see a player who obviously is a fan of the show and has watched (and researched) long enough to know what things cost wind up losing solely on the luck of the draw.

I understand that for budget reasons, the luck factor needs to be there, but it's still disappointing when it strikes.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place