Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/16/2008  (Read 33775 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/16/2008
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
The Price is Right - July 16, 2008
Production #4423K - Taped July 2, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: left to right
Handoff: Phire

Models of the Day: Phire Dawson, Amber Lancaster and Shane Stirling
Wearing: Zen Knits

1   JBL/Harmon Kardon Home Theater System (S)
ADAM 1300 ALANA 899 MILES 800 HEATHER 900 ($1597)

Adam from Orange Park, FL traipses up the "Southpaw Steps" to play 1 RIGHT PRICE

Corsican Virginia Day Bed/Loving Care Formfit (S)$4199
Heartland 36" Fridge/Freezer (A)$5065$5065WIN!

2   Capel Kaimure Agra Area Rug (A)
JOYCE *1500 +Alana 1199 +Miles 1200 +Heather 1201 ($2498)

Joyce heads up the "Southpaw Steps" to play SWITCHEROO

1st Try2nd TryPrices
Pontiac Vibe (Std., AC, At, Cargo, BlkHtr, Prot)(P)$1 8 6[2]1$1 8 6[9]1($18,621)
Vegetable Peeler[9]2[2]2(32)
Digital Camcorder[8]3[8]3WIN
CD Cabinet[4]6[4]6WIN
Soy Milk Maker[3]7[3]7(97)
3 RIGHT2 RIGHTLOSS

Everyone in the place thought changing those top two on the second try was a fatal mistake. Best advice for the future, if you get three right on the first try, PUT IT DOWN AND WALK AWAY!

3   Primo Oval Ceramic Grill (P)
LINDA 950 +Alana 899 +Miles 500 +Heather *951 ($1699)

Heather, a student at Alabama, plays TAKE TWO (Target: $4178)

1st2nd
Broyhill Queen Sleeper Sofa16791679
Gold's Gym Powerflex Home Gym––––800
MCF Wallace Silverplate Tea Set1425––––
Polaris Outlaw 90 ATV  –––– ––––($2499)
$3104$2479LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$1,699Heather65 stay.65Through to Showcase Round
2,627Joyce55 + 55OV
10,861Adam10 + 80.90

4   Infiniti Golf Equipment (S)
Linda 999 +Alana 925 +Miles *1000 MATTHEW 675 ($1170)

Miles plays NOW...OR THEN for an Ashley Southshore Dining Group and Fiesta Dinnerware (A)($4370)

"Then" is March 1997

(1) (Pantene Pro V) Shampoo$3.99NOWTHEN
(6) Fiber Choice Tablets12.49NOWNOW*
(5) (Mozetta) Cherry Peppers2.15THENNOW
(3) (Mentadent) Toothpaste3.91NOWTHENLOSS
(2) Aspercreme Gel
(4) Gold Bond Powder

5   Rave Sports Waterbounce Platform (A&P)
Linda *895 +Alana 699 STEVEN 450 Matthew 850 ($900)

Linda from Tampa, FL plays LUCKY SEVEN for a Jeep Wrangler X (Std., AC, Stereo, Prot)(S)

Picks:5 4 6
Price:   $2 1 5 3 4
Bucks:7 3 2 0LOSS

Well, does anybody want to win here? So far only one game has been conquered today. Maybe Alana can change things. The only way we'll find out is if she escapes the Row. If she doesn't, Mimi will whisk her off to the "First Four" Breakfast Club, and we takes our chances...

6   Sigma SD14 Digital SLR Camera (from above)
TINA *600 +Alana 1000 Steven 1100 Matthew 1101 ($968)

Alana heads off to the membership desk while a shocked Tina plays BALANCE GAME '06 for a Yamaha VX110 Waverunner (A&P)

[ 298 ][4000][5000] [7000] 
[9298]WIN!

SHOWDOWN #2
$900Linda65 stay.65
1,170Miles20 + 45.65
10,266Tina20 + 55.75Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Adam has the honor.

SC1-Adam A SESSION WITH DR. BLOTNIK (A&S)
Trip to Las Vegas (vegas.com; 6n)
Trip to Zurich (6n @ Sorell)
Fleetwood Prowler 230RKS Travel Trailer (P)
BID$27,775
PRICE36,560
DIFF–8,785
TOTAL$47,421
SC2-Tina Broyhill Attic Game Table
Canopied Popcorn Cart
Air Hockey Table (P)
Ragtime West Player Piano (A&S)
BID$18,000
PRICE17,483
DIFFOVER

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $64,083

...and then, there was one.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/16/2008
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »
Steve Wozniak (known as "The Woz"), co-founder of Apple, was in the VIP section today.

"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the lineups go that's all I can say. It's so sad that tomorrow is the final show with Roger, but Roger sure is going out with guns a blazing as far as the pricing game lineups he's been putting together this last week. Gotta love a show with Switcheroo and Take Two played back to back. Lucky 7 in the 2nd half yet again. The coup de grace however was Balance Game actually getting played LAST!!!!! That was awesome. At first I thought Bonkers was gonna be last, but wow, i'm stunned. I definitely wasn't expecting that. Yet again we were shown why the saying is true: Ya just can't stop the Dob.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:30:50 PM by rob79 »

Offline jhuhn

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 03:32:17 PM »
Maybe Drew should pay attention to the pricing game board, he was told three prizes are up for grabs but there was two thinking the pricing game was One Wrong Price but it was One Right Price.....just another reason why Roger is outie.

I would've left the board the way it is in Switcheroo when there was 3 right out of 5.  Another contestant took a gamble and had a car slip right through their fingers!

I thought many people pay close attention to the recent prices on Jeep Wranglers, but it's shame the second number resulted in a early crash.  I still think the show should use Seven Gold Dollars instead of dollar bills in Lucky Seven, since they will begin tapings for thei show's 37th season sometime next week.  I'd like to hear an answer from Drew himself when the show goes on air and either say "It's a thought", or "This answer is so simple, and the answer is 'No", people hate dollar coins in America."

I knew the prizes to pick in Take Two, since the offroad vehicle is an expensive prize and should have been picked with the sofa.

Let's hope Thursday's season finale will NOT feature budget showcases.  Would like to see a Cadillac CTS or a Lincoln Navigator.  If it does not get featured, then I'm confident it will during the 37th season promos.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »
Today's lineup was just awesome, Roger is really giving it his all for his last few days with the show.

I laughed at Drew's slip up of how many prizes were in the offering for Adam and how he says they moved the slate to the other side of the stage since the set was updated for HD broadcasts and he's confused if the game next was 1 Right Price or One Wrong Price.

It was cool to see Switcheroo again, we rarely if ever get to see that game get played in two consecutive weeks.  Also, I loved how Bart cut to a close-up of the Soy Milk Maker card as Drew was emphasizing it.

I found it interesting that we had two climbs up the Southpaw Steps in the same show, and in a row to boot.  That probably does not happen very often.

It really was a heartbraker that Joyce changed the car's price when she had it right on the first try.  Also it stinks she didn't win that soy milk maker after she said she liked soy milk. Joyce almost said that she wanted to leave everything as-is but I guess because she second-guessed herself or because of the peanut gallery, she changed her mind.

Drew said "If you think you have the car right, leave it alone."  That kind of brings up the bailout option in the game, but he should state it explicitly like Bob used to.  I'm sorry about being a broken record about Switcheroo as of late, and I apologize if it has annoyed anyone, but I feel that Drew should explain these bits about the games very clearly so that a contestant doesn't go to S & P with an allegation that s/he lost because of a rules misexplanation.

Wow Take Two and Race Game on back to back shows!

Linda really killed her chances of winning Lucky $even by guessing 5 for the second number.

Today is one day that I am comfortable with Lucky $even not being played last since we got a newcomer to the sixth slot in today's show. 

For the first time in the history of the show, Balance Game is played last!  That leaves only two slots in which Balance Game has yet to be played in, first and fifth.  It was also great to see Balance Game won to end the show.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:38:28 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:36 PM »
For what it's worth, I thought that Joyce — one of the most excitable contestants I've seen in awhile — was right in switching the top two numbers in Switcheroo. I didn't think any of those small prizes could be 90-something dollars. Oh well.

As far as Drew's flub on the first pricing game, I thought that, by his remarks, it was a stagehand that screwed up. At least he laughed it off and it didn't interrupt the flow of the rest of the game. And hey, we had a winner in One Right Price.

Brian

Offline res0xn12

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
Drew said "If you think you have the car right, leave it alone."  That kind of brings up the bailout option in the game, but he should state it explicitly like Bob used to.  ...

You know, I was just thinking this myself.  I think he desperately needs to work on his explanations for Switcheroo.  These kind of S & P issues can get someone fired, if it happens too many times.

Off my soap box now, I think today's lineup was great.  Drew's SNAFU with the first game was enjoyable, however, I realize that the slate is on the other side now, but Drew needs to get better about his mistakes and NOT let them happen so many times.

Otherwise, it was a great show.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:19:24 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »
One Right Price: So I guess that means Drew used to look at the slate to find out which pricing game is next.  With the slate hidden, this probably means he will have to look at the stagehand to figure out what the next game is, although I wonder why he didn't do it today (or seem to do it today).  Just look at the card the stagehand is holding and see what game is on it.  Or was it that he couldn't see what game was written on the card?

Switcheroo: This playing wasn't as good, mostly because of Drew's mistake.  I don't think he has ever stated that the contestant can quit and not take the second turn.  I think Drew saying  "If you think you have the car right, leave it alone."  is his unusual way of implying that the contestant can quit even though he doesn't state it.  The problem with this is that he is also implying that if a contestant believes the car's price is right, they can't change any of the other 4 blocks; quit or go on depends only on the car.  If it was up to me, I would have given her the car since she had it right the first time, and Drew didn't do that good of a job explaining the bailout option.  Perhaps next season, he will do a better job at explaining the bailout option.

Take Two:  The target price was high today, so I figured the offroad vehicle was one of the two prizes to be picked.  After seeing the price of the sofa, I had a feeling that it was the other prize.

Lucky $even:  The 5 really did Linda in.  My guess for the car was $23,464.

Balance Game:  Wow!  For the first time in its brief history!  I was expecting Pick a Number to show up but that was definitely a great surprise!

SC1: My Bid: $35,330 / Diff: $1,230
SC2: My Bid: $20,442 / Diff: OVER

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
One Right Price: I would've picked the day bed. Boy those 2 prizes are indeed pricey. Even for the fridge/freezer there.

Switcheroo: I knew she made a mistake the moment she changed the number for the price of the car there. Yet I partially blame it on Drew because he didn't completely explain that the contestant can leave the numbers as it is and find out which ones he or in this case she has right. Joyce should've been awarded that car there.

Take Two: I knew it was the offroad vehicle and the sleeper sofa.

Now Or Then: Very badly played there. And I have a feeling the audience may have played a role in it. Nice going guys!  :oldevil:

Lucky Seven: I would get the second and third numbers right. Then be off on the last two. 4 off the fourth. And only 1 off the last number. Yet I would still give $1 for the car though.

Balance Game: I knew that waverunner would be $9298.

One more to go before we not only say goodbye to Season 36 but saying goodbye to one Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:41:28 PM »
1 Right Price: I can understand the confusion of how many prizes are in which game between 1 Right and One Wrong. Anyways, I felt there was no way the day bed could be $5065.

Switcheroo: This was on my mind for the rest of the show. Okay, Joyce had 3 right. I wanted to stay, knowing I might win the car and/or the soy milk maker. Metotallythought Joyce nervously wanted to stop. To me, it sounded like Drew wanted her to try again, hoping to make the right changes to get all five right. Her wanting to stay really made me think she did not want to go again. I think Drew made her go again. Since we have to go again, I wanted to change the bottom two numbers. I was totally hoping for a 5 to appear. When I saw only 2, I was so worried that maybe she changed the price of the car. That change was very hurtful and painful to me. I angrily called "Foul!" on this one. Since then, I was waiting for Drew to explain the rules of the game because I was always under the impression that if you think you have the car right on the first try, stop and take a chance. Since I did not, I personally couldn't enjoy the rest of the day's show. Honestly, I don't know who or what made Joyce want to make that change: was it Drew, the Peanut Gallery, herself, or a combination of all.

Take Two: I definitely wanted to include the ATV in my pickings. Since Heather never did, I was predicting Loss.

now... or then: "Personal instinct, Miles! Use it!"

Lucky Seven: Picking that 5 first was a real coster. That 6 was a coffin nailer.

One Bid 6: Personal frustration endures as Alana makes her move. Shocked Tina lulled me a little

Balance Game: I would've picked the $4K and $5K bags, too... maybe a little quicker than Tina did.

Showcases: I would've said 28500 on Adam's Showcase.

I kinda figured there was a lot of Peanut Gallery help from the contestants. I would usually think a contestant relying on the audience too much is not playing the game at all; it is just popularity polling as to which is the best choice. Then I would imagine myself as one of them as I did twice already. I would want the contestant to win by relying on our suggestions. I feel stuck in the middle of this situation with an ear cut off and doused with gas because I understand the valididty of both sides of the communicaton. What a Switcherooski my mind is in today.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:55:08 PM »
Balance Game:  Wow!  For the first time in its brief history!  I was expecting Pick a Number to show up but that was definitely a great surprise!

Not sure why you were expecting Pick-a-Number because it is concealed by the giant price tag and Balance isn't. As soon as Tina got up on stage and Drew and her didn't go anywhere I had a feeling either Bonkers or Balance was gonna be played. My gut feelings was Bonkers since it had showed up last in prior seasons. However, seeing Balance played last as I mentioned earlier was just awesome.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
You know, I was just thinking this myself.  I think he desperately needs to work on his explanations for Switcheroo.  These kind of S & P issues can get someone fired, if it happens too many times.

Alright, I'm going to give my 2 cents.

There's nothing wrong with Drew's explanation of the game. No technical wins need to be awarded and the explanation does not need to be changed. There are no S&P violations here.

At every playing of Switcheroo, Drew has said, "If you think you have the car right, you can leave it alone. If you don't you can change it." He does not force the contestant to change anything - the contestant can change everything but the car, can stand there for 30 seconds and do nothing, or change everything on the board. It's not as clear cut and dry as Bob's "You can stop now if you would like," but there is nothing legally or ethically wrong with it!

If the contestant decides to change it, that's his or her own decision. Joyce succumbed to the peer pressure of the peanut gallery, changed her choice, and she lost because of it.

And to those of you who say "Well, by giving her another opportunity, he's trying to compel the contestant into changing his or her answer," well guess what? That's what a game show host is supposed to do! Its the equivalent of Regis/Mereidth asking "Final answer?" or Howie asking if you want to switch cases when the DoND gets down to one case left. But it all comes down to the contestant's decision, and they have to live with what they do!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:58:34 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »
Nice show today. Enjoyed the games quite a bit.

ORP: Expensive expensive! I thought there was no way that fridge could have been that high, but didn't think the daybed could be either.
Roo: Surprised we saw it again. The switch was brutal. The car's missing # just had to be either 2 or 3.
TT: I thought Gym and 4W at first, but after she made her first guess, it became very obvious. Played quite poorly.
NOT: I would have had all but the peppers right. And this is a game I'm usually bad at.
L7: Would've won with 4 to spare. Knew she was done when she guessed the 5 in the 2 hole.
Balance: Surprised it was last. I was thinking it would be either Switch? or PAN or some other quickie. Pretty easy setup though. That prize just couldn't have been 5 digits. If it was, they probably play something else for that.

Showcases: Great bids for me in CSS! And I thought I'd screw up the trailer. However, for the other one, I knew that piano was $$$$$$. I could've easily seen myself saying 14K or something for that one but I knew better.

Can't believe there's only one left.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »
.....just another reason why Roger is outie.

What's that supposed to mean? You better not be saying that Roger was fired because he was incompetent.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:22:19 PM »
Maybe Drew should pay attention to the pricing game board, he was told three prizes are up for grabs but there was two thinking the pricing game was One Wrong Price but it was One Right Price.
Drew mentioned during the show that the slate was hidden.

Not sure why you were expecting Pick-a-Number because it is concealed by the giant price tag and Balance isn't.
I guess I just assumed (while watching the show) that the entire Giant Price Tag was concealed rather than most of it like what normally happens.

At every playing of Switcheroo, Drew has said, "If you think you have the car right, you can leave it alone. If you don't you can change it." He does not force the contestant to change anything - the contestant can change everything but the car, can stand there for 30 seconds and do nothing, or change everything on the board.
I doubt anyone is just going to stand there and do nothing.  They will probably want to do something with that 30 seconds rather than just standing around.  Besides, saying "If you think you have the car right..." may imply to several that they have to leave the board alone if they have the car right.  Like reading the ARP of the car in Card Game, this is one of those things that Drew must make clear and it wouldn't be a good idea to deviate from.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:26:00 PM by JokerFan »