Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/16/2008  (Read 33938 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/16/2008
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
JokerFan

Like reading the ARP of the car in Card Game, this is one of those things that Drew must make clear and it wouldn't be a good idea to deviate from.

OK, then, YOU get a job with S&P.

Anyone who has seen the game before and knows it, goes to TPiR and gets on stage and is so lucky to play Switcheroo can say, "I quit" at any time they choose. Believe me, Drew did NOT say (or even imply) "You must go again."

Brian

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
I doubt anyone is just going to stand there and do nothing.  They will probably want to do something with that 30 seconds rather than just standing around.  Besides, saying "If you think you have the car right..." may imply to several that they have to leave the board alone if they have the car right. 

Huh?! In no way does Drew's explanation imply that, and no one in their right mind would think that. If the contestant believe he or she has the car correct, they're not going to mess with it - its like quitting without having the explicit option to quit! Joyce did not believe she had the car right, and changed it. She made the decision!

An S&P issue would be a mechanical malfunction, such as Bokers going Bonkers, or human error, such as Bob or Drew failing to mention there are no numbers lower than 1 or higher than 6 in Dice Game, which would work to the disadvantage of the contestant. Drew's explanation of Switcheroo does not lead to an advantage or a disadvantage! Its clear - the contestant has the right to leave the number alone or change it; its all in his or her hands!

Folks, just because Drew doesn't give the contestant the explicit option to quit as Bob did doesn't make it wrong or an S&P violation.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
Anyone who has seen the game before and knows it, goes to TPiR and gets on stage and is so lucky to play Switcheroo can say, "I quit" at any time they choose. Believe me, Drew did NOT say (or even imply) "You must go again."
What if I'd never seen the game before?  If the host gives me 30 seconds to play the game the first time, shows me how many prizes I have right, then tells me I have another seconds and tells me to "go!", I'd probably make changes again, figuring that I was expected to do so... 

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
Today's direction of Switcheroo was probably the worst I'd ever seen. Joyce's back was to the camera a lot of the time, blocking the camera's view of the clock and Joyce's face; usually, there would be a cut to the camera that has a head-on shot of the turntable, allowing us to see everything fine. This has also been a problem during Cover Up; however, on the last playing of Cover Up, at least Bart cut to the camera that has the head-on shot.

Although I wouldn't have changed the car, I do think Drew should explicitly state that the contestant doesn't have to take the extra 30 seconds in Switcheroo. Kind of like "Time is Money" with the $500 voucher.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »
Opening:  Whoa, it's Steve Wozniak!

1RP:  It's 1 Right Price for three two prizes... Drew did it again! :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: But at least he made mention of the producer's box.  Indeed, I can understand why the slate not being near the turntable would confuse Drew... and these moments have happened only since the producer's box came along.

Roo:  Yay!  Switcheroo! :P A soy milk maker?!  WTF?!  I got a feeling that Roo might get Super Savered after today's playing.

IUFB #3:  The knockoff Big Green Egg.

T2:  Yay!  Take Two! :P With Phone Home Game cue! :P Wow, that was one cheap home gym.

IUFB #5:  Girls on trampolines! :-D

L7:  Fifth! 

Balance:  OMG, Balance Game last!  Last, suckas!  Can't Stop :clipboard: !  Easy.  There was no way that waverunner was gonna be over $10,000.

My showcase bids:
Trailer--$34,607
Game room--$12,607

Result:  Did I miss something in that second showcase?  How was that more than $17,000?

*sigh*  Tomorrow is Roger's last show.  I hope he goes out with a bang and gives us a totally F'd up lineup.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
Steve Wozniak (known as "The Woz"), co-founder of Apple, was in the VIP section today.

I see I'm not the only person, let alone Mac head, to notice.....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:08:47 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
Wow...Switcheroo's been totally nuts lately.  Three playings in four weeks!  When the heck is the last time that happened?!

The whole dealy with 1 Wrong Price vs. 1 Right Price was great.

Wow, Balance Game sixth!  That's never happened before.  (And it probably never will again, either. :()

6,920 down, one to go.  Miss Kilgallen?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 09:51:01 PM »
Or, for the forward thinkers of the world...

"6,920 down, 80 to go. Mr. Cerf."

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 09:58:13 PM »
I guess you're just more of an optimist than I am, Joe.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:28 PM »
Adam's a pretty lucky guy... he wins the show, and gets a nice chat with Shane. One can only wonder what they were talking about. :P

BEST CONTESTANT OF THE DAY: Joyce
SHOW GRADE: 2

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »
isucgv:

What if I'd never seen the game before?  If the host gives me 30 seconds to play the game the first time, shows me how many prizes I have right, then tells me I have another seconds and tells me to "go!", I'd probably make changes again, figuring that I was expected to do so...

Except, that did not happen. He said, in essence, "If you think you have the car's price right, leave it alone, otherwise, change it."

As far as "I'd never seen the game before," what person in their right mind would get in line for a game show that's been on 36 years (meaning, that person has had MORE than ample opportunity to watch TPiR at some point in their lives), just because they're awestruck and because "everyone else is doing it," somehow win over the producers when they get asked a series of questions? And then he/she gets called to "C'mon down!", rattles off a number just because "everyone else is doing it," and wins his/her way on stage to play this great game called Switcheroo?

The idea, I'd think, of going on TPiR — or any other game show that's been out there for awhile, for that matter — is to first watch the game and be familiar with it (or better yet, read the game descriptions elsewhere on this web site), then write for tickets or go to the Bob Barker Studio and hope to get told to "C'mon down!"

I agree with Mr. Brown. The decision to change the numbers rested in the hands of the contestant. She made the gamble and lost. By Drew's explanation, although certainly not perfect — I'm sure there were many explanations of games that Bob wasn't 100 percent dead on either, and many of us would take him to task — she still knew, or should have known before even making the decision to get tickets for TPiR (meaning, she knew by getting tickets, she could be asked to "C'mon down" and play any one of 70-some games), the choice was hers to use the extra 30 seconds or quit.

BTW — How many other contestants playing Switcheroo have elected to use their second 30-second allotment, only to have the price of the car correct initially? I'm sure today's contestant was FAR FROM the only one. No joke history-revisionist answers from Bob and "Dob," please. ;)

Brian

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
As far as "I'd never seen the game before," what person in their right mind would get in line for a game show that's been on 36 years (meaning, that person has had MORE than ample opportunity to watch TPiR at some point in their lives), just because they're awestruck and because "everyone else is doing it," somehow win over the producers when they get asked a series of questions?

Well, Voltaire told us that he met this guy in line once who said he never saw the show before and he got on stage and ended up taking 9 minutes to play It's in the Bag.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:23:59 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
As far as "I'd never seen the game before," what person in their right mind would get in line for a game show that's been on 36 years (meaning, that person has had MORE than ample opportunity to watch TPiR at some point in their lives), just because they're awestruck...

There have actually been many contestants over the years who get on stage and admit they have never seen the show before. They are there with a friend or a spouse who wanted to see the show, so they came along with them. I hardly ever watch baseball, but I always make it up to Atlanta to watch the Braves a couple times a year, because just being in that environment seems like a fun thing to do sometimes. I'd think there have been quite a few over the years who watched Price only once or maybe twice and decided to write for tickets, simply because the show is such "an American institution," and it seems to be a fun place to go.

My personal feelings on Switcheroo: Drew has got to start saying "IF you'd like another 30 seconds, you have that opportunity." It should be made crystal clear that the contestant isn't forced to take another 30 seconds. I thought she wasn't going to make changes myself, but then Drew mentioned another 30 seconds and pointed to the clock when the time lit up. When that happened, her body lanaguage seemed to say, "Oh, I better step over and change something." It's not as if it would be terribly difficult for Drew to say, "You have three right. You can quit and take those three prizes or you can have another 30 seconds to make some changes." I know it sounds a lot like what Bob used to say, but sometimes you have to wonder, why reinvent the wheel.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 10:47:39 PM »
but sometimes you have to wonder, why reinvent the wheel.

Profound words, Carlos.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
I thought she wasn't going to make changes myself, but then Drew mentioned another 30 seconds and pointed to the clock when the time lit up. When that happened, her body lanaguage seemed to say, "Oh, I better step over and change something."
This, in and of itself, is not bad, though.  Why did she think, if she had to make a change, that she had to change the car?  This is where I don't get it.  Why wouldn't she just switch two 'worthless' blocks if she felt forced to change something? 
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy