Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/17/2008  (Read 49604 times)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/17/2008
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
Pushover:  At first, I said $4118 because that was the most expensive price that wasn’t the first.  When I realized it was 5-digit pushover, I guessed $11,880.  Price is Right history: only the 2nd time in this game that somebody chose the first possible price.

One Wrong Price: I didn’t like how Rebecca went with the audience’s advice over her own, even though it did result in a win.  She said “I think it’s 2, but the audience says 1, so I’ll go with 1”.  If she has a guess, then she should have gone with it.  Fortunately, going with the audience was advantageous…this time.

Check Out:  Last time we played we had an EXACTA, this time we had a near loss!  In two consecutive playing, there has been great excitement during the end part of this game.

That’s TOO Much:  Maybe it was because of the $3,000+ gap between prices, but I had a feeling that $21,962 was the price to stop at.

Showcase 2:  A showcase about donuts and no year supply of Krispy Kreme?  I love donuts so much that I was a glad to see a showcase about them.

SC1: My Bid: $16,433 / Diff: $1,564
SC2: My Bid: $30,415 / Diff: $545

I liked how the camera blurred out Christopher's face--the highlight of today's show. :-)

Was I the only one who was caught off-guard by Drew's comment before commercial, "This is my last show of the season." For a moment, I almost thought he was announcing his departure because of the way he started the sentence, and it was kept secret.
So I was.  For a moment, I thought he wasn't coming back, possibly because of the changes that will happen next season.  Afterwards, I realized he was talking about this being his last show of the season.

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »
Last show of the year today. Very, very disappointing and lackluster lineup. 3 quickies and TTM? Come on. This group of games didn't even come close to making the big splash.

Pushy: Easy. There was only one price that looked right and she couldn't even pick that out.
Pathy: Perfectly played, I was thinking that same price.
OWP: I was thinking the bike, but we had a cheapo wine bar.
Check-Out: Too close for comfort, but he still wins. But Gold Bond at 1.00? I don't even think you can get the cap for a dollar.
TTM: Fairly easy, but there was a very close difference between the last two values revealed.
Squeezy: This game is never a gimme, but today wasn't difficult and he missed it.

SC1: How lackluster. Nothing special at all.
SC2: I always overprice those Solstices.

Thanks for everything DOB! Hopefully Fingers has something good up her sleeve. I remain optimistic for now.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline mikebev25

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »
Yeah, when Drew started saying "This is my last show," I really thought he was leaving for good. Then we would've been really screwed. It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the changes next season. It's too bad he only got to work with DOB for one year.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline studio33

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »

Check-Out: Too close for comfort, but he still wins. But Gold Bond at 1.00? I don't even think you can get the cap for a dollar.

We were hollering $1 because we thought he was way over on all the other prices. We wanted to get his grand total down. Drew mentioned that Roger told him after the game was won that was the first time in the game's history a contestant took that strategy to low-ball on purpose. All thanks to us in the front row!  :biggrin:

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »
I was sort of joking when I said that considering the show was taped before Roger got fired.  Would it have helped if I included a :lol:?

(By the way, you only needed to quote the last two lines of my post, not the entire thing.  My commentary on the pricing games have nothing to do with what you were replying to.)

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:28:34 PM »
I just noticed that everyone was still standing during the first one bid.  It seemed like it was a bit special.  I wonder if they knew about it.  Either it was that or the last show of season 36.

And YAY for a fellow Greensboroian (or however you say it) making it to stage and starting the show!

I am optimistic for what will happen Sunday.  There is no way they can make the show unrecognizible in less than 3 weeks.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
As much as I would like to agree with that, I'm afraid that may very well be a distinct possibility. But then again what do I know.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:47:47 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »
A fun way to end the season, with a silly shopper that ended up winning, a successful Pathfinder without a miss, a player that forgot about the 99 rule in Squeeze Play and a contestant that was given a bum steer by her daughter in That's Too Much.  Guess many audience members knew about the Mercury Milan. ...

As some people say, "WOOT" an indirect reference,

Drew, you did a helluva job for the shoes you had to fill.  I'm sure it will only get better (pending season's 37 unknown changed)
Roger, as the say in the Christmas carol, "you'll go down in history" as one of the greatest influences and contributors of the world's best gameshow

As far as today's show is concerned

CHECKOUT: it was nice someone "logically" and FINALYL realized he overshot most of the prices in Checkout and, of all things, bid $1, on a product.  What a win..

PATH - Man, if that game was a gimme for the price, all the options along the 21 path either would make repeating numbers, or a "crazy" looking price..

TTM - I'm sure she'll have some words with her daughter, not to mention, stopping when the previous price was only about $300 more, the DOB would NEVER make "That's Too Hard, THAT HARD"

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 06:47:07 PM by Joe_Capitano »
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
WOW, hard to believe Season 36 has already come and gone!  In a way, it's the end of 2 eras.  First, Drew has survived his first year with Price, complete with wild contestants, pricing game malfunctions, and spinning turntables.  He's learned all the pricing games (most to perfection) and has improved greatly since his first show.

Also, it's the end of The Dob era.  The man that's created crazy pricing game lineups and has been there since day one is not there anymore.  While Season 37 might be as bad as some people are saying, I believe it'll be alright.  Some people swore up and down Season 36 was gonna be horrible, but it was far from that.  In fact, I haven't had this much fun watching the show since the 90s.  Nevertheless, the Dob will be missed.

Anyway, on with the show...

Even though the first price is never correct, I really thought the trailer was $8805...until I realized it was 5-digit Pushover.  Then I knew it wasn't the first choice.  In fact, I'm surprised Lise stopped at $18K, especially when she first tried to stop at $8K.

WOW, an exacta in Pathfinder!  Don't see that happen very often; very cool.

Talk about luck...very close win in Check-Out!  Great strategy for the last item!  I don't think I would have ever thought of someone doing that.

I usually think That's Too Much is hard.  Not today, though.  It was pretty obvious for Kristine to stop at $21K, especially since that price was $3500+ more than the previous.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 07:38:40 PM by PimpinJC »
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
One-Bid #1:  A live feed of Drew... just like on the first taped episode of this season.

Pushy:  $18,805 was way too much for that fugly trailer.  All of us in chat knew it was only $11,880.

Pathy:  Yeah!  That's how you finish the season!  An exacta!

1WP:  All three of those prizes looked overpriced.  But the wine thingie did look the most wrong.

Check-Out:  That $1 bid on the Gold Bond literally saved his ass.  Any guess over $1.02 and he was gone.

That's Never Won!:  Roger had this so set up for a win.  The huge jump from $18,421 to $21,962 should've set off alarms.  When the price went from $21,962 to $22,145 (a difference of only $183) and Kristine stopped, I knew it was a loss.

Squeezy:  Christopher is the first person to get blurred out for something other than a wardrobe malfunction. :oldlol: Wow, another forced win goes unclaimed.

SC #2:  Yay!  Showcase '83! :P And Drew's favorite prize!

My showcase bids:
Starcrossed--$20,607
Car--$27,307
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline theworstboy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »
I just noticed that everyone was still standing during the first one bid.  It seemed like it was a bit special.  I wonder if they knew about it.  Either it was that or the last show of season 36.

Having been there, I can say that if there was buzz about it being Roger's last show, none of it made it around to my earshot. I knew it was the last show of the season and I'm pretty sure it had been mentioned by the pages and Rich.

(I asked one of the pages, "So this is going to be the last show of the season, right?" He said, "Nope, they're shooting more in a couple of weeks." I said, "Oh, so that's not going to be the beginning of season 37?" He fumbled for a bit and said, "Oh, well, yeah, the new season.")

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
Drew was on top of his game today. He was clear, hardly ever mumbled, and was great with explaining the rules. I also loved what he did at the end saying it was a blessing hosting Season 36.

Then after that he said the spay/neuter plug, followed by "how ya doin' Bob?". I thought that was great. He recognized Bob and gave him a shout out, showing tons of class.

Great first season Drew!
Signatures are overrated.

Offline spunker88

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:51 PM »
Wow, the last show of season 36. I had the same feeling i do now that i had in june 2007. I just hope that season 37 isnt the end of price as we know it.

Drew has become a better host and is able to restore some things that Bob couldnt. For example, Bob never really had the relation with Rich that Drew does. Also, after the scandals Bob just was never the same with the models. Drew names them and is getting better at interacting. He also knows when to use his humor and when not to, for the most part.

Also, I love it when they use the Cliffhangers music (the part we never hear) for showcases like they did for showcase #2 today.
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline whirlwood74

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 10:34:04 PM »
On the showcase with the Pontiac Solstice, I actually committed a WSD.  I bid $31,000 when the ARP was $30,960.  Grrr...over by $40.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
Wow...Push Over sucked.  That was a pretty crappy way to start Roger's last show.

On the other hand, Pathfinder was fantastic!  In fact, so was Pathfinder even being played!  I can't believe there were small prize games on all the shows this week, none of them were Plinko, and three of them were car games!

Check-Out was great, too.  Really, any Check-Out win (except for Mba's in Season 32) is great to see.

Drew's shout-out to Bob at the end of the show was a neat little surprise. :)

And...wow...that's it.  I mean, really...that, for all practical purposes, may very well have been the end of The Price Is Right.  I'm honestly not sure why some of you guys are optimistic about next season...I'm sure as heck not.  Right now, I have no reason to think anything good is going to happen on Sunday.  We already know Syd's messed with the Big Wheel, and we've all seen rumors tossed around of other things he wants to do, like only playing four pricing games and getting rid of the second showcase...and I just can't see how any of it makes any sense.  The media reports about wanting to "give Drew more time to make the show his own" don't make any sense, either -- we saw Drew kill a minute today at the end of the Showcase by talking slowly to the contestants and then stating outright that he was trying to kill extra time!  (That's not intended as a slam on Drew -- rather, it's meant to point out that anyone who wants to give him more time where nothing's going on has to be nuts.)  I really don't think...no, actually, I think we did know how important Roger was to the show before all this started.  I just don't think most of us ever bothered to truly consider what the show might be like without him...and now that we've gotten a glimpse, it's freakin' scary.

I don't blame Drew for any of this, and I wish him the absolute best of luck on Sunday...but I have this horrible feeling that the show he does that day is going to be something that isn't recognizable as The Price Is Right.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.