Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/17/2008  (Read 49662 times)

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 07/17/2008
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Steve, I think you hit the nail on the head. I totally agree with your asessment of things to come. It could be that today (more likely than not) was the end of the Price is Right as we know it forever.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 11:33:21 PM »
Almost one year ago, Drew was named as the new host of The Price is Right.  There was some skepticism from many people, including myself, about how Drew would fill Bob's shoes and make the show his own.  I was willing to give him a chance and I was impressed with what I saw back in October and he just made me keep watching the show.  I will go on record and say that I have never enjoyed a season of The Price is Right immensely since the mid-90s.  Drew interacted well with the models and made them feel special and it was great he announced Gwendolyn's pregnancy on the air, making the show have that family atmosphere again.  I also love how he gave shout-outs to Rich in the latter part of this season and gave Roger and Scott some camera time.  I love the fact that some old-school aspects of the show returned this season, like the host wearing a tuxedo regularly for primetime shows, foreign cars offered again, the split screen returns to the Showcase Showdown after 11 years of being MIA, and we got some awesome game slotting like Balance Game and Shopping Spree played sixth for the first time ever and Lucky $even returning to the second half for the first time since 1999.

Now on with my comments about today's show.

Well, for the second time in the history of The Price is Right, someone went with the first price in Pushover.  It really was a shame that we all knew this game would be lost, but nobody else knows about that unwritten rule.  It was not the best way to start off the final show of this season.

Well what a way to end Pathfinder this season, with our only exacta on the daytime show.  The only really tricky numbers were the second and third ones, but Allison played very well and it made for a highlight for the first half.

It was pretty interesting we saw two puny spins by two contestants in the same Showcase Showdown.  I don't know how often that ever happens.

When Thomas lowballed on the Gold Bond, I had a hunch that may have paid off.  I was amazed that he managed to win with just a mere two-cent difference, that is probably one of the closest wins in the history of Check-Out.  I don't recall anyone intentionally lowballing or overshooting an item to make up for error, but that's the beauty of Check-Out, how manipulative it can be!

It really stinks that Kristine's daughter talked her out of stopping at $21,962 in That's Too Much.  I think Roger set that up for a win, especially since the price in the line jumped from $19,000 to $21,000.

I loved how they included Drew's favorite prize, the automatic doughnut maker, in the second showcase.  I also love how they simulated the Pontiac Solstice doing doughnuts with some smoke and the car turntable.

I loved how Drew thanked everyone for giving him a chance and said that the first season with him as host is in the books.  I also loved how he gave a shout-out to Bob at the end.

Well, I fulfilled my dream of posting my two cents in every show's recap thread and I am proud of it.  I am also grateful to have amassed 96 shows from this season on DVD so that I can enjoy them in the future.  I want to thank Marc, John, Steve, Tom, Willy, and all the G-R personnel for keeping this community up and making it an awesome place to discuss the show.  For those of you who are curious about my standing on the show next year, I will say that I will not pass judgment until I see it for myself.  If I don't like what I see, I will simply say, "I gave it a shot, but it doesn't work for me." and move on.  It has been a wonderful year with you all and I hope everyone has a great summer.

Drew, you were awesome.  I wish you the best of luck with your second season as host and I hope you continue to blow us away like you have this year.  Roger, I e-mailed you today but I wanted to say this again, thank you for 36 years of dedication to The Price is Right, you will be missed by many but remember this credo..."In Dob We Trust."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 11:39:41 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Corbinq27

• In Contestant's Row
  • Coming soon to my website...
    • Corbin's World
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:01 AM »
Well, yes.  I agree with most everyone that this show was unfortunately not such a great line up BUT I had some laughs and, as always, I love seeing Drew when he's in a good mood.

Drew's speech at the end was very nice and his little shoutout to Bob Barker (or did he say Mom?) was touching.

Anyway, I can't wait to spoil what I see on Sunday!!!!  I'll try to post as soon as possible after the taping to spill what I see (this has, of course, been cleared by John himself).

Goodbye S36, hello S37!

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 12:41:31 AM »
Drew's speech at the end was very nice and his little shoutout to Bob Barker (or did he say Mom?) was touching.

It was definitely Bob... since, you know, he did it after the "spay & neuter" plug.  :oldlol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
Well, I was disappointed not to see one of the "Big Three" today.  I actually wouldn't have minded Plinko either; somehow That's Too Much doesn't really spell special.

The Check-Out win was......lucky.  I don't think without the help from the audience he would have thought of that strategy.

Overall for this show: B-

Overall for Drew for the season: B+

Overall for this season of Price: A-
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 01:40:09 AM »
The above is merely a satire. I do not believe that Price will be totally butchered. Like Joe, I'm optimistic. I'm just trying to have fun!

I'm of the mind that time is a factor here. We're going to end up with what? 3 weeks between tapings? I don't know how much overhaul they can really do in that amount of time. I do think we might see just one showdown now and then a one person showcase. I could be wrong but that would save some time and it's much like what the international versions do

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 04:13:19 AM »
And so, the magical wonder that was Season 36 has come to a close, but what an odd lineup for a season finale; none of the "Big Three" were played this week, which makes this finale even stranger.  That Check-Out win was one of the luckiest wins I've ever witnesses, and Squeeze Play was downright painful to watch--Chistopher didn't do his homework on the "99" rule.  Oh, and Pathfinder was AMAZING to see! 

Well, I have to close this by saying a couple of things.  First, there's talk about how Price is not going to look the same once the tapings for S37 get started.  Here's what I think:  I think we should all wait until the first show of S37 airs before we go bouncing off the walls and stick forks in the show.  I can understand that there are changes and stuff coming, but I don't think we need to get all riled up about it until we actually see the first show of the 37th season of TPIR for ourselves before making any sort of judgments.*

Second, Drew showed a lot of class during this past Season, and he did a helluva job in his first year at the helm.  He NEVER tried to emulate Bob in any way; he just made the show his own.  I felt really humbled to have gotten the chance to watch (and talk to) Drew in person this past season; he helped me feel at home inside that hollowed place known as The Bob Barker Studio.  It will make things even more special for me when I'm able to watch the April 9th episode (the show taped on March 17th @ 1:00 PM; my first taping this season) once again during the "Priceless Summer."  (thanks to Joe's rerun guide)

Finally, there are a few people on here that I'd wish to thank:

1.  Marc and John--for keeping us at ease in regards to recent events and for helping to keep a sense of order.
2.  Willy and Nam--even though I never got the chance to see any TPIR tapings with you guys, it truly was an honor to finally get the chance to see y'all in person in Houston; I won't forget that Saturday!  :-D
3.  Stephanie--you've kept my conscience strong and steady; you're the best friend on this site anyone can have.  *KISS* 

* - The opinions expressed in the 2nd paragraph were my opinions only, and they DO NOT in any way reflect the views of the other members of this site.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:21:15 AM by GoldenBulldog »
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:15 AM »
Well, that's it. After a grand total of 200 shows (including primetime), Drew Carey can shed his rookie stripes as we have reached the finish line of Price Season 36. By now, you know tapings for Price Season 37 are set to begin Sunday. What we'll see on the stage of Studio 33 remains a mystery, but I remain optimistic.
I hope to be able to visit next year again.
Quote from: Joe_Capitano
Oh, almost forgot. Fingers. We all wish Kathy Greco the best of luck as she takes over as producer for Price Season 37. All we can hope for is that Price continues to be the entertaining hour we expect it to be. Two months from now, we'll see what the future holds. In the meantime, there's the repeats.
I hope they show the episode originally aired on March 6.  That was when I sat right behind contestants row and  I saw Myself every time they bid.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 09:10:07 AM »
Steve:

While you certainly have a right to your opinion, I'm still willing to take a wait-and-see approach on the post-Dobkowitz TPiR shows. If what I see in September matches your assessment, I will join your camp. If I like what I see, then I will like what I see.

Brian

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »
Hmm...a lineup of Push Over, Pathfinder, One Wrong Price, Check-Out, That's Too Much! and Squeeze Play? I was expecting the Dob to go out with a bang, but we managed to get a split in this season finale.

The two high points: a Pathfinder exacta and a Check-Out win by 2 cents!

The three low points: Those terrible losses in Push Over, That's Too Much! and Squeeze Play.

After a full season with Drew, I can now say that this ranks among my favorite seasons of TPIR ever! I can't wait to see the changes they have in store next year. Overall, Drew's a terrific host in his own right, and the best thing about it is he never tries to copycat Bob. Both of them have their own unique styles, and I like them both the same. I love how Drew interacts with Rich and the models, and also how he celebrates with contestants after they win. I'm also happy to see the split-screen return to the SCSD, and I didn't mind the name change from Barker's Marker$ to Make Your Mark, either. Well, now that Season 36 is finally over, what'll happen in Season 37? If anybody here is going to next week's taping sessions, I would love o hear about it. Then we can decide whether the show goes on as the same great TPIR we've all come to love.

Congratulations, Drew! Hopefully, we can see more of you in the coming years!

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Great show to end the season.  Drew's 'thank you' at the end was touching.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 10:57:16 AM »
One Bid 1: As I was preparing my lunch, I heard Rich laughing. That has to mean something. I thought it might be another One Bid blooper like the piano.

Push Over: A trailer like that as much as a car? No way. If anything, I would've said 11880, which made a heck of a lot more sense than 18805.

["Torture Allison in"] Pathfinder: What torture? She played this game more excellent than me.

One Wrong Price: I was tossed between the wine bar and the bike. I was a little nervous because I took that bar as a wine cabinet, thinking it was too much. It was too much anyway.

Check-Out: So far, I could never get the price of any Southern seasoning; I really thought Thomas went a little too high by saying $3.00. I would said $2.00, which would still be high. Boy, nailing it by two cent was another shocker! "Howdy!"

That's Too Much!: Ah, the debate on whether to listen to the Peanut Gallery or your loved ones....

One Bid 6: Didn't matter too much since we're going to get at least one more. I did like that desk, though. To me, I imagined Shane running Shell Game on that desk. Now I'm imagining myself playing Shell Game, Grocery Game, etc.

Squeeze Play: Ah, this takes me back to the 30th anniversary special. I was waiting for Blurred Christopher to win it so I can dance again to the jukebox music. It would've been a good way to celebrate the end.

Showcases: Man, I loved that Donuts Showcase of the Donut Maker, "Franches" and "Showcase '83". Too bad it wasn't won. Why do I feel like calling somebody a donut for the departure of Roger?

Well, that's it for now. The season was B-Grade in my opinion. I've experienced it in person, which was awesome. I cannot wait to find out what the changes will be next season. Will they be good (like some other game show I cannot figure out right now) or bad (Like Temptation)? Either way, Roger, Drew, the models, and the rest of the crew have done a fantastic job with Season 36.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »
Squeeze Play: Ah, this takes me back to the 30th anniversary special. I was waiting for Blurred Christopher to win it so I can dance again to the jukebox music. It would've been a good way to celebrate the end.

I was hoping they would've played the jukebox music again if Christopher won just like on the 30th Anniversary special.

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »
This was a great show to finish the season.

I have to echo the sentiments about Drew this year.  He has made SERIOUS progress since the start of the season.  It is so odd seeing the earlier shows in the season especially after seeing the one over the past couple of months.

I'll second the highly enjoyable season declarations as well.   Over the last month, I think the show has made HUGE progress in getting everybody in show back together (models, Rich, producing staff, stage staff, etc.).  The dialogue with Rich really says a lot.

The ending of the show was amazing! It definitely sounded like at first Drew was saying it was his last show, but that's just Drew and his delivery sometimes.

I'm optimistic about Season 37.  The can do video displays the right way.  Heck, they can save resources by showing a trip display on a video board.  I'd like to see them use it as a drop down prop (like the price tag).  Besides, I have to wonder, if the staff really did NOT want to be there, several would have walked with Roger.  Television infamy is on the line and I'm sure several of them don't want to be the ones that wreck The Price is Right.  The Right things will be done.

Thank you so much Joe for doing this.  You seem to have a demanding profession and the fact you can find time to do this is amazing.

Thanks also to the mods of this board.  I believe those guys before I believe some of the internet garbage out there these days.

Hopefully, in Season 37, I can make my first trip to the Bob Barker Studio.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:42:26 PM by spellingbeej »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
Besides, I have to wonder, if the staff really did NOT want to be there, several would have walked with Roger.

Have you ever considered that they might need the paychecks?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.