Author Topic: Riddle Me This  (Read 56152 times)

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Riddle Me This
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2008, 04:17:20 AM »
The table is a hundred miles wide, and the mother is on phones with each of her sons.  :oldlol:

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
The two sons are deaf and communicate via sign language?  (which is why they cannot "speak" to each other?)

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
The one in the outhouse is European.

What are the other 2?

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2008, 10:59:04 AM »
Thats a good riddle. I have no clue
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »
What are the other 2?

The guy headed to the outhouse is Russian.

In the outhouse, he's European.

After he's done in the outhouse he's Finnish.

Offline Denials

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #230 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »
Can we find out if anyone is right/close on the mother/sons one?

Offline TPIR1990

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Old Ten Chances Set
    • The Price is Right
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2008, 09:32:45 AM »
They speak different languages, and can't comprehend the other's language, but the mother can both communicate and comprehend both languages.

Sorry for the delay guys. I was swamped and out of town most of the week last week, and this week I have company over. AHH! But tpirfan28 is correct!

Here's the answer I have, but along the same lines as what tpirfan28 said.

The mother was a Russian who was widowed during the war and who had fled to the West, leaving her first son behind with an aunt and uncle. She settled in France, married a Frenchman, and had a second son. When her first son visited her for the first time, there was a tearful reunion around the kitchen table. However, neither half-brother could speak the other's language, sot hey could converse only through their mother.

Okay, here is the next riddle.

Deadline: Friday, August 15.

One day, two sisters decided to clean out the old shed at the bottom of their garden. When they had finished the cleaning, one of them had a dirty face and the other had a clean face. THe sister with the clean face want and washed her face, but the girl with the dirty face did not wash. Why should this be so?
Got 1100th post on August 22, 2008 @ 11:52:08 AM

Come on Down to my Price is Right site! The only Price is Right game where you can play all 102 pricing games! A new game is starting soon! Sign up today!
http://dhtpir2.proboards50.com The first game has begun! First Item Up for Bids posted!

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #232 on: August 13, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
Does it have anything to do with the stuff in the shed?
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #233 on: August 13, 2008, 11:06:17 AM »
The dirty-faced sister was burnt,and the other is a neat freak :lol:

Offline TPIR1990

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2008, 06:50:06 PM »
Does it have anything to do with the stuff in the shed?

Nope.

The dirty-faced sister was burnt,and the other is a neat freak :lol:

Nope.

Come on Down to my Price is Right site! The only Price is Right game where you can play all 102 pricing games! A new game is starting soon! Sign up today!
http://dhtpir2.proboards50.com The first game has begun! First Item Up for Bids posted!

Offline barkerguy

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:01 AM »
They were going to wash each others faces. The girl with the clean face was actually washing her sister's face. And the girl with the dirty face didn't have to wash her sister's face because it was already clean.   

Offline TPIR1990

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
They were going to wash each others faces. The girl with the clean face was actually washing her sister's face. And the girl with the dirty face didn't have to wash her sister's face because it was already clean.   

Even though this isn't exactly what I have, it is correct. Good job!

When they had finished cleaning, they had no mirror to look at, so each girl looker at her sister. The girl with the clean face saw that her sister was dirty and assumed that she would be dirty, so she washed. Her sister made the reverse assumption.

Next One!

Deadline: Sunday, August 17.

Clues: 1

This is a VERY long one. You might want to read it a couple times.

Many years ago, there was a poor miller who could not afford to pay the rent on his mill. His grasping old landlord threatened to evict him, his wife, and his daughter; however, the landlord did offer them an option. If the miller's beautiful young daughter would marry the old man, then he would forget their debts and let the miller and his wife live in the mill rent-free.

The family met to discuss this proposition. The daughter was horrified at the prospect of marriage to the old man, but she realized that it might be the only hope for her parents. She suggested a compromise. They would draw lots. If the landlord won, she would meet his request, and if she won, he would wipe out all debts without her having to marry him. The landlord agreed.

The two stood on a stony path that had many black and white pebbles. The landlord suggested that they put one black pebble and one white one in a bag. If it were black, she must marry him, and if it were white she would be free. She reluctantly agreed to this suggestion. He bent down and picked up two pebbles to put in the bag, but she noticed he had cheated and put in two black pebbles.

She could expose him by showing there were now two black pebbles in the bag, but he would lose so much face in front of all the people there that he would be very angry and probably evict them. How could she seem to go along with the plan and triumph knowing there were only two black pebbles in the bag?

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »
Hmm.....

What color was the bag?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
She reaches into the bag and pulls out a pebble.  Without showing anyone, she "accidentally" drops it.  When the old man protests that they'll never know what color the pebble was, she suggests pulling out the other pebble - which would be the opposite color of the one she drew (ASSUMING a FAIR GAME).

However, since the game was rigged, she draws and drops a black pebble.  Without revealing the old man was a cheater, she contends that the pebble she drew MUST have been white, since the remaining pebble is black.  The old man has no choice but to admit he cheated, or go along with his agreement and wipe out the family debts.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »
She would draw a rock out and have the old man draw the other rock.  She would then have the old man reveal his rock.  If it was black, then that would mean she would have white, and thus she would be free.  If it was white, then that would mean she would have black, and thus would have to marry the landlord.  Since the landlord put in two black pebbles, he would show a black pebble, so the daughter would say that since he has the black pebble, she must have the white pebble, and thus she would be free.