Author Topic: A Topic About Autism  (Read 7040 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
A Topic About Autism
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
Alrighty folks. I'm making a topic about autism. It seems to be very misunderstood, even from a couple people who were on this site in the past, so I'll just go into what it is and isn't, since it's a very mild form. First of all, it is NOT an illness. While sometimes it can cause a few physical things, it is not an illness. It's a developmental disorder. Secondly, something I've had problems with people understanding in the past, just because I have autism doesn't mean that I'm mentally challenged/retarded as the case may be. I've had my IQ tested a few times and I've had it somewhere between 120-140, my official guess probably being somewhere in the 130's. Now as for what it actually IS. It is a developmental disorder, mainly affecting social issues, although with a bunch of other things that's really hard to explain in detail, but I'll say that my emotional sensitivity is probably the cause of it. It also is on a spectrum, from mild to severe. I happen to have a mild form. I also seem to have more...ticks...if you call it than usual, I tend to play with my long hair more than most people, and I also like to play with small objects on my fingers, particularly spinning.

That's a few things of the yeses and nos of it, if you have any other questions feel free to ask, and also anyone else can feel free to discuss it on here.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
Re: A Topic About Autism
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:15 PM »
Believe it or not, I'm autistic (some of you might not know that about me).  Just before my 19th birthday, I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism.  I'm not really good with carrying out conversations, I'm very reserved and I choose to pursue other interests instead of those my mom deems "age appropriate" for me (I will be 29 this month).  For the last few years, I've been taking a mild form of Prozac not as an anti-depressant, but as a way to regulate the serotonin levels in my brain.
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »
I have PDD-NOS which is a mild form of autism. I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was in pre-school and I had to attend special education classes all the way through the middle of tenth grade when I was declassified. As a result, I never had too many friends and I spent my life being bullied throughout middle school. Briefly when I was in the first grade, I was prescribed Ritalin but all it did was make me function even less. Even my ignorant teacher that year refused to deal with me which angered my parents to no extent. Now that I am going into my second year in college with a scholarship education, I can now say that I have vastly improved myself because I have put my mind to it.

I'm glad you made this topic, Unique. It gives autistic people like myself the chance to speak out about our disorders and the experiences we've dealt with.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »
Time for me to come out of the closet.....

I do have Asperger's, although I feel that it's "gone away" in the past few years. I feel, for the most part, that I act appropriately for my age--you really couldn't say that about me a few years ago, when I was in school, taking special ed, and still on Ritalin. My having Asperger's is not something that I'm proud of, and I really don't like talking about it. I'm actually quite disappointed that I have it, and I wish I could've been born without it.

I'm still a bit of a short fuse because of it, but trust me----you would not have wanted to be around me as a kid. Socially, I'm still a little timid, but that doesn't stop me from hanging out at the art fairs. Volunteering at 2 of the area fairs has probably helped my social skills here and there.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »
Geoff (a.k.a. 'ssetta') and I were talking about this on AIM awhile back.  I'm sure that many of us have an obsession with game shows.  Not surprisingly, a good number of us grew up watching game shows when all the Big 3 Networks had them weekday mornings.

Add me to the list of those with Asperger's.  I'm sure it's affected my ability to go to school to some extent, as I finally just earned an Associate's Degree at age 28.  As many have suggested, communication is an issue.  It causes major issues at work, especially because I can't say things the right way without stammering.  I bring across the feeling of being unsure of myself even though I am sure.  In fact, it took me 5 minutes just to write the last three sentences of this paragraph because I've re-written it so many times.  The other side of the coin is that if I try to be direct, I overcorrect and make it seem like I'm shouting down the other person's throat.  For those of you who don't know, IT SUCKS. (though I'm sure most of you around here know that)

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:53:44 AM »
im also a guy with Aspergers.
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
Believe it or not, I'm also a guy that has Asperger's, and just like Stephanie, I remember being diagnosed at the age of 19.  I'm mostly known for having a pretty sharp memory, and when it comes to game shows, I remember some stuff about them too.  I know it sucks that I deal with it every day, but I remember a theme from my newest project that I'm working on:  Never hold anything back, for every day is a pretty day in life that should be enjoyed to the fullest.  Out of all the people I've known on here, I have to say that Stephanie (FieldsFan336) is perhaps the only true soulmate that I will ever know, and I will never forget that. 
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:52 AM »
I also have Asperger's. I was diagnosed in December of 1999. I'm OK with it, because the truth is, I can barely imagine life without it. I've done some public speaking about it, raising some awareness.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline SteveEllis

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »
And I have Aspergers.  Diagnosed in 2006 before I moved from MA to GA.  It effects my speech pattern (I have the same vocal tone whether I am real mad or real PLEASED with a person.)  It effects my ATTITUDE.** (I don't give a **** if someone WRONGS me.  In fact, I'm glad they did.  Because if so, then all that's left is to SOLVE THE PROBLEM caused by the other person.)   my Aspergers is problably why I don't want to work in an office, like for these reasons I can express now: I might be expected to wear "nice clothes"(blue or white shirt, tie, jacket, brown(etc)pants. that and dealing with people. (i'd rather dress in jeans and a tshirt, or if at home, my pajamas :oldlol:

I don't see why I should give to an employer even 5 hours a week.  I'd rather have all the time to myself to do whatever I want whenever I want.  I feel I want to be judged by what I do out of work.

I have issues with personal hygiene. (I might get into that in another post or an edit to this one).

** then again, my attitude and speech pattern are my greatest sources of pleasure and makes it a pleasure to work with people.  Can anyone else here say that?
15. Messages posted express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of the administrators and moderations of this site.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »
Count me in as one of those who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3, but thankfully, I have survived it, and I am still alive to this day. I do sympathize with all of you who posted about this as well.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 04:51:48 PM »
Count me in as one of those who was diagnosed with autism at the age of 3, but thankfully, I have survived it, and I am still alive to this day. I do sympathize with all of you who posted about this as well.

It's good to know that people are being diagnosed at younger ages. It took until I was 11 to be diagnosed.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 06:50:28 PM »
I have ADD, but my brother is autistic.  Recently, he was diagnosed with subcordical heterotopia, which is similar to autism.  In 2006 doctors discovered what was causing his seizures (some things in the brain, but removed most of it (he still does get seizures though, but a lot milder!)

And I would like to say a lot of negative things about that "man" or he calls himself who was on the radio!

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »
Well I don't know if this fits the topic, but I know there are lots of time where I am very forgetful.  There are times where I can have something laying right in front of me and I still forget to take it with me and sometimes people will ask me to do something and 10 minutes later I completely forget. I dont know if that is a sign of anything or me just plain forgetful. 

Offline stormy41992

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I'll Miss You Bob!
    • TV & Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
I have ADD, but my brother is autistic.

I have both of those. Interesting how much in common all of us have.  :-D
STORMY'S STATS FOR HIS 2ND SEASON OF CSS: [Wins: 0] [Top 10/5 Finishes: 3/1] [DSWs: 0] [Overbids/WSDs: 0/0] [Lowest SC Difference: $857] [Games Played: 6] [Current No-OVER Streak: 6]
SCORE OF THE FIRST EVER "FRIENDLY" RIVALRY: Stormy41992 - 2////cu2010 - 2

Offline SamtheBravesFan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
Count me in as another person with Asperger's.  I don't think it's a bad thing; it's just the way my mind works.