Author Topic: A Topic About Autism  (Read 7041 times)

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: A Topic About Autism
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »
I have Asperger's Syndrome as well.  I learned I had it when I was 11.  To help treat it, I had to get evaluated and was given a list of exercises to do twice a day.  It has helped me, but it became too much for me to do, even during the summer break when I had no school.  I have trouble communicating to others, although it has improved.  I am very grateful that I have gone better over the years.

Do you people agree that it isn't okay for adults to do/like things that are meant for kids?
There are some things in which it's okay for kids and adults to like.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Anything that you consider fun.  In fact, my mom (who doesn't have Asperger's Syndrome) watches a couple of Disney shows, Saturday morning.

was not diagnosed until junior-high school (they were still called "junior-high" schools when I attended).
What is it called now?  Maybe what confuses me is that where I live we have an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, and high school, so there still is a "junior high" where I live.

Offline pricefan3376

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »
What is it called now?  Maybe what confuses me is that where I live we have an elementary school, middle school, junior high school, and high school, so there still is a "junior high" where I live.

I'm a middle school teacher.  I hope I can clarify the differences for you without totally confusing you:

In a middle school, teachers work in teams.  There is usually one math teacher, one social studies teacher, one English teacher, one science teacher, and one special ed teacher per team.  Each team teaches the same group of students.  The philosophy behind teaming is that the same core group of teachers works with the same group of kids, and that this helps in planning curriculum, field trips, homework policies, grading policies, and disciplinary policies.  Middle school advocates believe that teaming helps give kids more personalized attention, and also helps parents because each one of their kid's teachers has the same policies for homework, grading, and discipline.

In a junior high school, there is no teaming.  It's basically what the name says: a smaller version of a high school.  There are no teams of teachers; there are departments.  A kid will have different teachers for each subject, but the teachers don't work together to come up with common policies and procedures. 

There are many people who are confused with the differences between a middle school and a junior high, and to further complicate thngs, sometimes the differences are in name only.  However, there are educators who feel very strongly about the middle school concept, and get very defensive if you call a middle school a junior high, and vice versa.

I hope I've cleared things up for you guys, but I apologize if I've confused you more.  As a teacher, I'm really glad that we're having this discussion.  I have taught many students on the autism spectrum over the years.  You all have done really well for yourselves, and for that, I am very proud of you, even I don't know you.  I really find your honesty and candor refreshing and appreciated.  Thanks so much for your feedback.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »
I am so happy to see this topic grow and people sharing their stories.  At first I was a little afraid to tell people about my autism, but thanks to you guys I am not so afraid anymore.

It makes me prouder than ever to be part of this great online community because I know that there are people I can lean on if I'm having a rough day.  You guys are the best and you mean a lot to me...more than you'll ever know
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »
I'm a middle school teacher.  I hope I can clarify the differences for you without totally confusing you:
Not really.  You just told me the difference between middle school and junior high school.  I wanted to how a junior high school now differed from a junior high school then.

Offline mr3urious

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:09 PM »
Do "aspies" seem to have a problem with speaking in public? I sometimes do.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
Not me. I get a little nervous, but I apparently get through it just fine. I've actually spoken to groups of teachers about Asperger's, and I've gotten positive feedback. On the other hand, a friend of mine who also has Asperger's is afraid. I don't think fear of public speaking and Asperger's are mutually inclusive.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »
Do "aspies" seem to have a problem with speaking in public? I sometimes do.

I read once that the fear of public speaking is the most widely held fear.  I've been speaking, teaching, playing music, and working with the public for over ten years and I still get queasy beforehand.  It's natural for most people.
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.