Author Topic: Pricing game idea: 100%  (Read 3036 times)

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
Pricing game idea: 100%
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:27:06 AM »
If this game has been suggested before, then please let me know.

Name: 100%
Played for: Car and $5,000
Objective: To get as close to 100% without going over.
Played on: Turntable

In this game, six grocery items or small prizes are used. Each item has a displayed price. Five of the prices are priced at below their actual retail prices, while one has the exact price. Choosing an item which is priced below the actual retail price gives the contestant a score based on the percentage of the listed price versus the actual retail price. In addition, the contestant also get $50 per percentage pointed added to a bank. The contestant is required to choose at least two items unless they choose the item with the exact price on their first pick.

If the contestant chooses two items whose total percentage points add up to less than 100%, they are given the opportunity to take the money in the bank and walk away or risk the money and pick another item. If the contestant goes over a total score of 100%, they lose the car as well as the money accumulated in the bank.

If the contestant picks the 100% item on the first try or pick a combination of items whose total percentage points add up to 100%, they win a car in addition to $5,000. (100 percentage points multiplied by $50 would result in a bank of $5,000.)

To make the game interesting, there would be four possible ways of getting to 100%. The first way would obviously be picking the 100% item on the first try. Of the five remaining items, there would be three possible win combinations. The first would be of two items whose total percentage points add up to 100%. The second would be of another two sets of items whose total percentage points add up to 100%. The final combination would be the remaining item added to one of the items from the first set added to one of the items from the second set, with the total percentage points of all three items adding up to 100%.

Offline pacdude

• Walking the Golden Road
  • PacdudeGames.com
    • Pacdude Games
Re: Pricing game idea: 100%
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »
It's almost 5 AM, so I'm tired, but this just seems like a convoluted combination of Check-Out, Pick-A-Pair, Bullseye and probably some other stuff. It's a bit too hard for me to understand, let alone to even imagine to play.

Tighten up the concept, make it a bit simpler.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:35:21 AM »
Here's what it sounds like to me:
5 items that are (for example) 60%, 40%, 85%, 15% and 25% close to the ARP.  For example, if there is a $20 item and it is the 60% close price, then the price displayed is $12.  There is a 6th item that has a displayed price equal to the ARP.  The task is to pick the item(s) that total 100% without going over.
Winning combinations are
1. 60% + 40%
2. 85% + 15%
3. 60% + 15% + 25%
4. 100%
(These 4 combinations correspond to the 4 wvoutlaw2002 posted.)

If they get 100% exactly, they get both the car and $5,000.  If they get, 40% and 25% and wish to stop, then they get 65% of $5,000, which is $3250--and no car.  If they go over 100%, they win nothing.

(Am I understanding the rules correctly, wvoutlaw2002?)

If I'm right, it sounds too similar to Hit Me.  In Hit Me, we had a displayed price * number from 1-10 = ARP; here we have displayed price * % = ARP.  If most of the population can't do addition or multiplication well enough to make Add 'Em Up and Hit Me a successful game, then I doubt this will be any more successful--if this was an actual pricing game.

Offline BigJon

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »
This game seems a little too easy to be giving away a car as its prize IMO.
But yeah, it does involve pieces of Hit Me and even Balance Game I (for the sake of making it equal to a set amount)
BigJon's TPIR will live on - CSS Host - 2nd Season; CSS Statistician 3rd Season

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »
I like the concept of using percentages, but some people would have trouble with it.  I mean, people apparently had problems with simple multiplication....

It would be easier to understand if a "as close as possible but not more than" strategy, and a given range (more similar to Bullseye).    The contestant may pick any number of prizes to get within X% of 100%.
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
This game seems a little too easy to be giving away a car as its prize IMO.
But yeah, it does involve pieces of Hit Me and even Balance Game I (for the sake of making it equal to a set amount)

Okay. Do you think it would work better if the grand prize was something like a hot tub or a new bedroom? And in that case, would you keep the maximum amount of the bank at $5,000 ($50 per percentage point) or would you reduce it down to like $25 per point (maximum $2,500) or $10 per point (maximum $1,000) or just do away with the bank aspect?

And I do agree with the comments that it's similar to Hit Me and Balance Game.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »
We don't have a problem with what the top prize is.  We have a problem with the fact that it involves percentages.  If people don't know enough addition or multiplication, then they most likely won't know percentages.

Offline bigwheel1991

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:05:13 PM »
Let Me put a view on this.

1. The game is simple yet complex.
2. Any contestant on TPIR should Know how to Add and Multiply.
3. We use Percentages every DAY!

I For one is FOR this game. wvoutlaw2002 You should test this game so you can get an Idea on how Well the game can be played and how well people understand it.
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
Good Lord, this game makes even MY head hurt.

And I spent four years in the math department at the University of Illinois.

There is no way anything on this sort could ever work out.  Not to mention...most SP's have prices of, for example, $20, $37, or $65.  15%, 40%, or whatever, of those isn't likely to be a round number.  This sounds like way too much for a game of "Which of these is marked at the actual retail price?  (Hint:  Not the one labeled $5.55 (which, ironically enough, is exactly 15% of $37).)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »
The only place I can see this even being tried is at a math conference.

The explanation sounds like a foreign language.  And you expect someone who hates numbers to follow it?

No way this works.

</Skip Caray>

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »
The only place I can see this even being tried is at a math conference.

The explanation sounds like a foreign language.  And you expect someone who hates numbers to follow it?

No way this works.

</Skip Caray>

I tested the game idea out on some friends on IRC, and I have to say it was either a cluster**** or way too easy. Really, the 100% item would most likely be WAY too obvious (sort of like that "Current Events Quiz" on John Boy & Billy.....no matter how good or ridiculous the answers are, you always pick C). And then I thought about dropping the 100% item and just having three pairs of products whose percentages add up to 100% (items 1 and 2 add up to 100, 3 and 4 add up to 100, and 5 and 6 add up to 100), and that's too similar to Pick-A-Pair.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 05:53:13 PM »
I have to agree with those who've said it just won't work. While it may be true that we use percentages everyday, we use multiplication every day, and still, Hit Me was too complicated for most to understand.

The rules start out saying, "Five of the prices are priced at below their actual retail prices, while one has the exact price. Choosing an item which is priced below the actual retail price gives the contestant a score based on the percentage of the listed price versus the actual retail price. In addition, the contestant also get $50 per percentage pointed added to a bank...."   That's only part of the first paragraph, but most contestants will already be lost by this point. In the days of shrinking time for each segment, simple is much better, and while this may seem simple to some of us, it won't be to most people. Just my honest opinion.  :biggrin: