Author Topic: Predicted Game Changes  (Read 12903 times)

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Predicted Game Changes
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:51:33 AM »
Various pricing games have undergone "makeovers" in their rules since Roger has departed.  Although people have various opinions on the new rules, we can only assume that more rule changes to classic games are to come.

It now appears that almost no game is safe from these changes.

That being said, there is no reason why we shouldn't express our greatest wishes and desires in changing classic games.  

Are there any games in the current rotation that you would like to change the rules to (or think that the rules will be changed)?

One request that I would like to make is that it should be nothing outlandish and should be entirely possible.  Something like "burn the Plinko board" is obviously never going to happen.

One of the games that I would like to change is One Away.  In order to conserve time, I think that they should give the first number away for free.  It doesn't really change the spirit of the game.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline Millionaire81

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Predicted Game Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
Oh, dear God.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58:24 AM »
One of the games that I would like to change is One Away.  In order to conserve time, I think that they should give the first number away for free.  It doesn't really change the spirit of the game.

It might save time, but it would seem awkward to me once they get to the honks. What do they do, just skip the "...do I have one number right" question?  I'm just curious as to how that'd work.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »
It might save time, but it would seem awkward to me once they get to the honks. What do they do, just skip the "...do I have one number right" question?  I'm just curious as to how that'd work.

One to four.  The first number is no longer a choice.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline MrBill1978

• In Contestant's Row
    • FacePlace
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »
agreed, flerbert.  sounds like a fine decision to me--and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see it come into action.  The winds of change are upon us, my friends! 
Censorship Rocks!!

--Bill

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
I'd hate that.  That would make One Away harder to win.  A situation that used to mean an instant-win would suddenly become an instant-loss with that change.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »
One to four.  The first number is no longer a choice.

I realize that, but it takes some of the fun out of the game, if there's 5 numbers in the price of the car and the contestant asks "do I have 4 numbers right" on the final turn.

Offline FloridaAdam

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 01:34:54 AM »
Five changes I would make are as follows.

1.  Given that Switcheroo game play has accommodated increased car prices but hasn't kept pace when it comes to the value of smaller prizes, I would replace one of the two-digit priced prizes with a four-digit priced prize, and perhaps replace one of the remaining two-digit-priced prizes with a three-digit-priced prize.  Gameplay would continue to require that the contestant place the tens digit, but could make the option to engage in the namesake move more nail-biting if a contestant had 1 or 2 prizes right and one of those could be a prize besides a car also alone worth winning (i.e., a prize in the $2,000 to $3,000 range, perhaps, but not more than $5,000, else it be too close in value to the car).

2.  I would play 3 Strikes for luxury automobiles, requiring the contestant to correctly place all five digits in the price before drawing three strikes; regardless whether three strike chips were placed in the bag at the beginning of gameplay or just one strike chip were used and replaced it in the bag if drawn, either of those methods would be superior to the current method of playing that pricing game. 

3.  To make Grand Game more interesting and ease the degree of Plinko Playout Syndrome from which it now suffers, I would increase the top prize in Grand Game to $20,000 or $25,000, make the game more difficult by lowering the target price and utilizing grocery products closer in price to each other and to the range, and play the game less frequently than once weekly.

4.  Change the payout amounts & slip frequency in Punch-A-Bunch to be consistent with what I suggested in another thread (but which I am too tired right now to find, copy, and paste here) in which many posters suggested changes, most of those more similar to mine than the current payout structure.

5.  Offer four-digit-priced prizes (whether occasionally or otherwise) in Clock Game.

Groundbreaking and revolutionary, right?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:43:13 AM by FloridaAdam »

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
Given that Switcheroo game play has accommodated increased car prices but hasn't kept pace when it comes to the value of smaller prizes

Isn't that part of the game, though? Removing the two-digit prizes takes away much of the strategy. Plus, it's pretty fun when a contestant has just 1 right, and you figure it's either the car or a $10 mop. If there were prizes with 3 and 4 digits and the car, then the game turns into multi-prize Pick-a-Number with the tens digit missing in each price.

Just playing devil's advocate on everyone's ideas it seems.  :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:52:54 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline FloridaAdam

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:57:55 AM »
Just playing devil's advocate on everyone's ideas it seems.  :P

Nothing wrong with that in good-natured fun.

Isn't that part of the game, though?

I got to thinking about that idea after reading so much discussion criticizing Drew's comments about the smaller prizes used in the game.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:39 AM »
The first number in One Away is pretty much a gimme, in the same spirit as Cover Up. Unless you're one of those completely clueless contestants that come along every once and a while, the first number is already pretty much "free".
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 02:12:46 AM »
The way the new producers are thinking, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they change 10 Chances to 5 Chances.

I can hear them talking..."hey, the game takes too long and who wants to win those first two prizes anyway.  Let's just have them play for the car!  Aren't we absolutely brilliant when it comes to improving these old games."

I'm scared...very scared!

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 02:30:26 AM »
Quote from: Off_trak
The first number in One Away is pretty much a gimme, in the same spirit as Cover Up. Unless you're one of those completely clueless contestants that come along every once and a while, the first number is already pretty much "free".

But it's not free.  And the first number not being free has given the game a lot of wins over the years that would've been losses if the first number were actually given for free.  I'm not sure whether some of you guys are forgetting that, or if you feel the game should be more difficult.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:27:53 AM »
But it's not free.  And the first number not being free has given the game a lot of wins over the years that would've been losses if the first number were actually given for free.  I'm not sure whether some of you guys are forgetting that, or if you feel the game should be more difficult.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem right that a contestant is rewarded with an instant WIN for completely blowing the price on the first try (outside of the first number)...

The show is supposed to reward smart shoppers, not people that get everything wrong.  (Although, with the way they're going this season, who knows?)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:57:38 AM »
What I could see happening?

- In Triple Play, you don't lose the cars you've already won if you lose a car later down the line.
- 30 seconds instead of 45 in Race Game.
- Restructure of It's In The Bag's cash tree.
- Some game returns from the dead because Syd thinks "it's a new game"; I'll predict Gallery Game.
- Non-rounded numbers in Buy or Sell, just so you could actually win with $1 left.
- Oh, and Syd will sack some random game because he didn't think it existed (I'll take Take Two).
Any closer and Bob gives it away.
(except this was a Drew MDS)