Author Topic: Damn you, United arilines!!!  (Read 6915 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Damn you, United arilines!!!
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »
Hi gang.

I just got back from a vaca on the west coast.  I had a tight schedule, and didn't really plan to do the whole camp-out thing for TPIR, but I did go to tvtix.com, and got a group ticket for the 4PM taping on 8/13.  The ticket allows you to get there at 12pm as part of a group.  Yes, yes, I feel dirty for doing this, but it was my only way to attempt a taping while out on the coast.

Anyway, my flight was due to leave Philly at 7am, and get into LA  at 10AM, plenty of time to grab my rental car and get to CBS.  But, getting to the airport, I saw that my flight was delayed by an hour, and then we sat a while on the ground before getting to a gate in LA.  The people at Avis were very quick, but I still got to the studio at 12:20PM, just enough time for a page to tell me that I was late, and got Stand-By #121.  But, scanning the group, I thought I might have a shot at getting in.  I met many nice other stand-by-ers, including many who didn't realize how early you needed to be to get in.  One nice family I chatted with seemed very sincere about making it, and, as they were giving out the tickets, I was watching the numbers unfold.....and the nice family got in with the last stand-by #109.  Which means I was left out....Booo......  But I hope the family had a great experience.  I wrote a quick note to Scott, gave it to a page to say hello, and left for some food.  All in all, not a bad thing, since I was a bit wiped from the flight.  BUT, if you happen to work for, own stock in, or have a vested interest in United Airlines, just let them know that I am not real happy with their airline....

The next day, I went back to CBS for a taping of the Late Late Show with Craig Furguson, and had a blast!  The show was odd, in that the night's guests, Ben Kinglsey and Idina Menzel, were not there and were apparently taped earlier.  Instead, Craig taped a number of his "Aquaman" bits, to be used in later shows.  We were all in stitches, and I can't say enough about the great time and experience I had there.  On the way down the stairs from the studio (on the 3rd floor), a page guarded a door, and I saw part of the Half-Off wall through a window.  This was the closest I got to anything Price-related.

Other lowlights of my trip included seeing the Phillies lose in poor fashion to the Dodgers and Padres, denting the rental car (oops), and getting rivered badly in 3 straight poker tournaments in Vegas.   I head back to school Monday...

BUT, keep in mind, that on a late Wednesday taping, stand-by #109 got into the studio....
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline elonpuckhog

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Damn you, United arilines!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »
As a general rule, you will ALWAYS sit on the ground in Philly.  I'm just saying..

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
As a general rule, you will ALWAYS sit on the ground in Philly.  I'm just saying..

I live in Philly, except that I am no front-runner.  But I usually have surprising good luck with flights here.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »
I live in Philly, except that I am no front-runner.  But I usually have surprising good luck with flights here.

Heh, tell Jimmy Rollins you're not a front-runner. :lol: I usually have good luck with flights in Philly, too.

Too bad you had to see the Phils lose, they're on a roll now, 5 in a row!

Oh, and, besides seeing The Price is Right, whenever I get to LA I want to attend a taping of Ferguson, that's cool that you got to!
Signatures are overrated.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »
While I have had some fairly decent experiences flying out of Philly to LA on my many trips, I would have to say that flying out the morning of the taping was a bit risky to begin with.
John

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
While I have had some fairly decent experiences flying out of Philly to LA on my many trips, I would have to say that flying out the morning of the taping was a bit risky to begin with.

Well, my main objective for the trip was not TPIR, but just a vaca through LA, San Diego and Vegas.  Looking at my travel schedule, I knew that a taping was a long shot, and I wasn't all that broken up to not make it in.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
BUT, if you happen to work for, own stock in, or have a vested interest in United Airlines, just let them know that I am not real happy with their airline....

What was the reason for the delay?  Having used PHL way too many times, the delay may not have been United's fault.