Author Topic: More News  (Read 79010 times)

Offline monc

• In the Audience
Re: More News
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
ahhh I didn't notice the smile there, so maybe its not bad news, so maybe #1 Bob might pop up for one show or #2 CBS has decided to make a weekly primetime show for mid-season?

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:10 PM »
Possibility:  "Drew's making too many comments, let's sack him."

We wish:  "We've made too many mistakes...how much can we offer Roger to come back and fix everything?"
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

We wish:  "We've made too many mistakes...how much can we offer Roger to come back and fix everything?"

I think we all wish that.

Now, if I'm John O'Hurley or Todd Newton, if I see this go down, how do I not know that would be either of those guys come 2010 or 2011?

If they think they are gonna give Drew Carey a shorter tenure on TPIR than Louie Anderson had on Family Feud, they must be beyond stupid.

On top of all this, this seems like an end of year business item anyway.

Besides, hell hath no fury like a LFAT's scorn.

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »
Since we all really don't know what the meeting is going to be about, I think we should wait until then before we jump to conclusions.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline TPIRfan222

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »
Well since Nancy said that the meeting was to discuss major updates to Price and something concerning Drew. I'm sorry but I have to believe that Drew is standing in the way of the changes Fremantle want to make to the show.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »
You don't "have" to believe that, TPiRFan222.  That's established fact.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline TPIRfan222

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
I'm just worried that Fremantle will decide to fire Drew.

Offline Trivia Trap

• Thinks Hes Seen Finish Line
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:18 PM »
Okay, as stupid as it sounds, dont you think if they were going to fire Drew, that they would have done it before the season even started.

I would be honored and so happy to see Bob again. Except for probably 10 or 15 years there, I bet you Bob was very nice. I bet you he was very strict, but still very nice if you played his game.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
We've said previously that they're anti-anyone-who-opposes-change.  Drew is opposed to the changes they want to make, at least most of them.

You don't have to have pointed ears to draw the logical conclusion.

But, logic isn't the only factor here.  There's also good business practice, and good business practice does NOT include firing Drew at this time.  After all the upheavals the last time, they risk a full-out fan revolt if they put us through another long and secrecy-filled host search.  

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 07:47:43 PM »
Honestly, what makes you think Fremantle cares about fans at this point?

Or ever cared about fans, for that matter?
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
Honestly, what makes you think Fremantle cares about fans at this point?

Or ever cared about fans, for that matter?

Maybe it's my Comm training coming to the fore and getting in the way of good old common sense...call me a raving lunatic  :lol:

You make a good point though Army, their actions are definitely not comporting them as broadcasters with their audience in mind.  TPiR has always been noted for its ability to bridge the generations, and you'd think Fremantle would know that; the fact that they want to Idolize it now shows me that they don't care about that unique trait and are only interested in one single demographic.  That has "disaster" written all over it.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
All the important parties (except the Producer?) are meeting this Friday to discuss the options.

Wouldn't that, under normal circumstances, include the Host?

And discuss the options......of what?  

One of the items up for discussion is the host.

Not necessarily the changing of the host, but they might be talking about Drew in general and how he interacts with the contestants, prizes, models, etc.  

I hope we are jumping to conclusions.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 07:58:18 PM »
I say that Drew's a good host.  I read that 1984 TV Guide article about game show hosts.  I think Mark Goodson described this; it's a description of a good game show host (note that this is not verbatim):

Imagine that you're on top of a mountain, and you're in a car with a stick shift.  You have to drive down the mountain in reverse.  And while you're doing that, you have to be witty.

If Drew can do that, then he's got lasting power.  Bob Barker sure did; he has a resume covering half a century!

As for the future of the show; I think we should continue to be "cautiously optimistic".  If there is a new host, pray that he or she knows the games at the start, since that would help ease his or her tenure.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
We are well into the season (in tapings) by now.  If Drew really is getting the pink paycheck, then it won't be until the end of the season.  Also if it really is coming down to this, I think CBS is gonna step in.  I don't think CBS is gonna let a show that has been a hit on their network for 37 years now go down without a fight.  Plus if they get rid of Drew, whose gonna take show?  NOBODY.  If they get wind of what Fremantle wants to do it, they don't wanna be known as the host who ruined TPIR.  Fremantle may win some battles, but I have a feeling they aren't gonna win the war.

jimlange

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »
Also if it really is coming down to this, I think CBS is gonna step in.  I don't think CBS is gonna let a show that has been a hit on their network for 37 years now go down without a fight. 

In Syd Vinnedge's own words, "CBS protects us."  Though, they protect them as long as they are making money.  If you making a mass firing, you are not making money and if you are, you won't be making money.

CBS won't protect Fremantle if they are this irresponsible.  Ultimately, its in CBS's court.  After all, they let Fremantle on the air in the first place.