Author Topic: More News  (Read 79022 times)

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: More News
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »
Yes, he is.  We all react to these things in different ways -- and while I'm clearly reacting to it differently than Season36Fan is, I don't think his reaction is any reason to question whether he's a loyal friend and true.

Thank you for the kind words, Steve.

In truth, the goings on recently concern me for the welfare of the show, and like many of you, I'm anxious that when all is said and done, it may not be the same show that I've enjoyed for over twenty years.  While I think the changes (in general) for S36 were good things, Drew is a great host, and I certainly feel badly for Roger, the fact is that I still go to work, come home, kiss my wife, get tackled by my two year old, and go to church on Sunday.  None of that changed in any way last year, and they won't this year.  All in all, some of the happenings this year are regrettable, but it doesn't really affect my life that much.   Maybe that's just me.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
Are you a fan?
BigMan, I am interested to know how exactly these changes affect you according to the questions I put forth.    Those are pretty big things, you know.    I'm asking because I honestly don't understand how it could possibly do so (and by saying that I do not intend to belittle what you feel). 

As far as being "obsessed" with the show, ask my family.  My wife cracked the other day after seeing my computer screen... "Well, I could have told you what website you're on."  I mean, heck, I read the mobile version on my PDA all day long between customers, during lunch, etc.    You know how Firefox will auto-complete a web address?   When I type "W" it autocompletes www.golden-road.net.  When I type "G" you get the same.   The TPIR S36 theme is the ringtone on my cell phone.    I think I qualify.    I just try to keep things in my life in perspective.   Some of you might think it's heresy to say so, but if Price suddenly vanished from the planet, I'd be OK.  A little "weirded out" but I'd be OK. 

Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2008, 12:02:01 AM »
After hearing that rumor about making tpir similar to tpir 1994 with the video wall and changing the format etc etc  I'm not going to believe this until i see a better source. but if this is true i would be happy i don't think Drew is a good host. i wouldn't mind seeing him replaced with Michael Burger John O'Hurley or Todd Newton. Don't get me wrong i think Drew did a Fantastic job on power of ten but Tpir is not his kind of show
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:03:49 AM by Reloaden »

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2008, 01:25:45 AM »
I have indeed gotten used to Drew hosting the show. Despite some minor things he's certainly made this show for us to enjoy as possible since Bob's retirement. Yet in my mind it's the contestants that make the show popular. Of the changes I've heard so far I was indeed totally against it. Yet when it comes to a possibility of Drew getting the can that's when I'm a bit confused here. I know for one thing with the models wearing bikinis again along with the return of foreign cars Bob would indeed not return. Plus it's also taking a physical and mental strain on him because of his age. I don't think he would want do it all again. Since the contestants are indeed the main part of the show I wouldn't care less on who would be the host whether it's Drew or indeed somebody else. Yet part of me would be upset if Drew would be let go after going into a year of hosting the show. And with the shirts of that of the audience/potential contestants wearing to show their appreciation towards him it's would be a shame for him to be let go. Or not. Yet we can't assume things until we hear that it is indeed confirmed.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »
Some reality checks, please:

1. Fremantle, CBS, or whoever is NOT going to fire Drew simply because he doesn't like changes being made to the show.  Big stars have been coddled through much more obnoxious behavior when they're worth it.  If they choose to let him go, it won't be for that.  It will be because they don't think he's a very good host.

2. Before taking the helm last year, Drew made it clear that he knew little to nothing about the show.  I doubt he's any sort of real "purist."  If he's getting frustrated, it's probably because of the behind-the-scenes turmoil rather than worrying about what color the Big Wheel is or how many strikes are in a bag.  Drew has made it clear in his previous endeavors that he's not interesting in working in a place where the work is not fun.  And as he's reminded everyone many times, he's "rich" enough not to have to do so.

3. Fremantle is NOT deliberately trying to ruin the show.  That makes no sense at all.  If they were no longer interested in doing the show (despite its continuing profitability and all the licensing dough they're raking in internationally), they can just sell the format to another company.  That alone would be worth millions.  Driving the show into the ground accomplishes nothing.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2008, 02:26:08 AM »
3. Fremantle is NOT deliberately trying to ruin the show.

Thank you for being the voice of reason on this... it makes no sense why a company would want to ruin one of their own properties; they simply have a different way of trying to run the show than most people here. Whether it's for the best or worst is a different story, but they certainly aren't intentionally trying to get it cancelled.

As for changing of the host, if that were to be the case, I will point out that outside of the community of game show fans online (a very, very small minority), Drew Carey is not all that popular as host of The Price Is Right. If nothing else, the 15% ratings dropoff would prove that. I'm not saying that it is or isn't his fault, and I'm not saying that it has anything to do with his performance. All I'm saying is that I can understand why there would be discussion about a host change.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2008, 02:27:50 AM »
For what it's worth, that drop in the ratings has to do with the fact that some people stopped watching after Bob Barker left.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2008, 02:38:32 AM »
For what it's worth, that drop in the ratings has to do with the fact that some people stopped watching after Bob Barker left.

But that proves my point. It may not be Carey's fault, but he's not as popular as Bob Barker is.

Offline Scott5114

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2008, 03:17:51 AM »
But that proves my point. It may not be Carey's fault, but he's not as popular as Bob Barker is.

True, but would anybody else be?

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2008, 03:54:29 AM »
The only thing that always bothered me about the ratings drop is that it was so gradual. I'd have felt much better if 15% of viewers had left immediately, and we could chalk that up to the "Bob Barker or no one" crowd leaving. However, the show's ratings actually increased for Drew's first couple of weeks. However, by December, the show was down 8% (according to a ratings report posted here at that time) and slowly dwindled down to a total 15 (or even 18, as some sources report) % drop in ratings. I don't know exactly why the viewers are tuning out, but obviously, after sticking around to see the start of the new season, there's something (or multiple things) about the show that just caused people to start tuning out. (And the whole "every daytime show is down in the ratings" argument can't work in this case, because the show Price is on against in many markets, "The View," (I know, shame on me for mentioning that show!) has actually increased its year to year viewship and ratings...not saying everyone turned over to that show, just pointing out that not every show declined...)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:57:06 AM by temptation1979ga »

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2008, 07:37:01 AM »
The only thing that always bothered me about the ratings drop is that it was so gradual.

I'd wait until S37 to get bothered by rating drops such as you mentionned. Yes, there is a crowd that stopped watching after Barker left, but there are others that decided to tune in to see how it would be with Drew. Seems like some people lost interrest after a while, but the real test will be how the ratings hold for the second season, when Drew is already established and the machine is well oiled once again.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »
I've never been the major posting type on this board, but I have been a member since our MSN days. But lately, two things have happened.

1. I watch the show more than ever.
2. I don't post as much as I used to.

Why? Because Season36Fan personified everything that I've been wanting to say. It seems that if you don't live, walk, eat, breathe, and sleep TPIR, don't know about ALL the special rules of games, don't know what a Garf is, or any of the super-secret lingo, then you really don't get taken seriously, or are not a LFAT.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
Everyone just calm down for a minute...

The fact is, we know for certain that Drew was not canned as host for Season 37, for the simple reason that taping attendees have already told us that he's still coming through the Big Doors (or the audience) each day without fail.  The show's format--cosmetic and Mo' Money changes notwithstanding--is still intact, at least for Season 37.  Thus far no serious changes have been made.  The shows that air for the next few months are going to be more of the same standard TPiR we've gotten used to from Season 36, albeit without Roger and probably with some strange game lineups coming soon--so my suggestion is, until we've got hard facts, everyone just relax and hope for the best.  With luck, the planned "big meeting" about Drew will just be a coaching session to help him sure up some of his weak points, and Syd and company will get overruled by CBS on the big Idolization they want to make.

That's the approach I'm taking at least.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »
Exactly. Everybody stay calm - before everybody panics, let me bring up these three things for y'all to think about:

1. Who is Drew's contract with, CBS or Fremantle? I've talked to quite a few people, and have gotten quite a lot of answers along with a few "I don't know"s. If its with CBS, there's probably little Fremantle can do (except make his work life a living hell).

2. If it is with Fremantle, and they do want to get rid of him, its still a contract that they're going to have to break or buyout (provided there's not some sort of ratings termination clause in there they can take advantage of). How much is it going to cost Fremantle to break or buyout the contract, and would they be willing to pay that much or deal with the cost of litigation? With the infamous cheapness of this company, I doubt it.

3. With regards to "major changes", would Drew even stand for it? He has obviously made his opinions clear about the purple wheel, and that ended up getting reverted back. While he has no creative control over the show, and they don't even bother keeping him "in the loop", he has promised the fans in the past before that very little will change, and I see him as a principled man who would come and speak out against such changes to the show if they were made. The host or a star speaking out against their own show usually doesn't bode well...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:05:51 AM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
mrbrown2195, let me add something to what you said about Drew's opinions and the purple wheel:

I've been speaking with TPiR staff a lot this week, and while I was asked not to share specifics, I can say this:  Drew was not contractually awarded any specific degree of creative control, as mrbrown states; however, his word carries a lot of weight with the staff, and we have Drew to thank for keeping many more changes that haven't been disclosed publicly off the air.  The wheel was just the tip of the iceberg, so anytime someone questions Drew's suitability to be host, stop and ask yourself:  what else could they have changed?

I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid by any means, but...for Season 37 at least, we should be counting our blessings.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:39 AM »
[soapbox]
I challenge you all to ask yourself three questions before you go bananas over something:

1. Does it directly affect my welfare, or tjat of my family or my friends?
2. Does it prevent me from living my life the way I choose?
3. Does it significantly alter my perception of myself in a negative way?

Trust me, it's a much better way to live.   It makes for much less stress.

[/soapbox]

My turn on the soapbox:

Not trying to step on anyone's toes and I mean no offense to anyone...but if you seriously think the answer to all three questions is a big "yes," please re-read them and really take the time to THINK about your answer.  Let's say 'Price' was canceled.  Does that really affect your welfare in the grand scheme of things?  Seriously.  I've been a fan of the show since before many of you were even born.  It has always been a big tradition in my life.  But you know, things change and we have to deal with it.

One of the best friends I've ever had is moving to the other side of the country in six days.  I'm sure I'll see him again some day...I may even work up the nerve to fly out there some time.  But he's not going to be here in town so we can catch lunch.  He's not going to be around so we can hang out.  Sure, he'll still be a phone call or an email away, but it won't be the same.  The grief -- yeah, actual grief..who would have thought -- I feel over seeing him and his family move so far away is about a thousand times more intense a feeling than what I felt when Barker signed off for the last time and about a million times more intense a feeling than what I felt about the possibility of a video wall or a purple wheel.

My point in bringing that up is this:  I'm a LF&T.  Always have been.  But folks, 'Price' is a television show: if this show is more important -- really more important -- to you than your family or your friends, or your job, or the rest of your life, then I urge you to stop and rethink things.  Your priorities are out of whack.  And I mean that in the nicest way possible, because even though we always find new things to disagree about, we're all united for the same reason here, and we ought to be able to be a little honest with each other once in a while.

I'll miss 'Price' when it goes away...and I hope that won't be for many more years to come.  But one day it'll happen.  And it's not going to be the day my whole world ends.  I genuinely hope for all of you, those I've gotten to know well over the years and those I've never had an exchange with at all, that it isn't the day yours ends, either.

Some things are more important than a television show, folks.  If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid you're going to be in for a rough, rough life.  (And I'm older than most of you, so you'll just have to trust me on that.)  Sometimes, it's okay to turn the TV off and go live your life.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place