Author Topic: More News  (Read 79356 times)

Offline nanny

• Outside in Line
More News
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:42:45 PM »
Hey Guys, more news from here on the 3rd Floor:

There are rumblings of some major updates coming to the show.  All the important parties (except the Producer?) are meeting this Friday to discuss the options.  One of the items up for discussion is the host.  Trust me when I say this is a big meeting!

:)

Offline TPIRfan222

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: More News
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »
Fremantle wants to get rid of Drew? Why?

Offline djryan

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »
And where is your source?
COME ON DOWN!

Offline mbetush

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
hmm, lets see, 2 overall messages.  i say garf.
Anxiously awaiting another MDS since 2009.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
Not that I'm 100% defending this...but the last time they were pretty darn accurate.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
If Fremantle is considering replacing Drew as host -  it wouldn't bother me.  Ever since he stepped in as the new host - I have almost completely lost interest in the show. Yes, I know it's the contestants who make the show. But, IMHO I never did like Drew's hosting abilities - on any of the shows he did.  IF this is indeed true, I hope Fremantle will give someone like Todd Newton another whack at it.  I have read stories of who tried out a year ago and, I was hoping then, it would have been anyone but Drew.  

Offline TPIRfan222

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
Ok now I'm worried.

Offline noobslayer88

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »
If they really are considering getting rid of him, I can see why: He doesn't want the show to change. We know he hated the purple wheel. He would most likely hate any other major changes they try to make, and getting rid of him would make executing these changes easier. But nevertheless, the idea of firing Drew is absolutely ridiculous. Fremantle is even crazier than I thought, and I thought they couldn't get much worse...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:25:41 PM by noobslayer88 »
Noobslayer88: a proud member of the "For Shiggles QSW" club. (6/12/09)

Offline Kirsten Vaccaro

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me On February 27, 2016
    • It's My Facebook Page.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »
I hope it isn' true i like Drew has host he doing a wonderful job!

if he fired i'm going to watch it anymore Drew made the show fun!
A Big Rich Fields Drew Carey And Jeff Davis Fan For Ever From Kirsten

Rich Fields Thanks Kirsten. I pick out and supply all of my own clothing. That light gray suit is hard to pair with shirts and ties... but I think the lavender shirt and purple patterned tie pulled it all together.

My Favorite Announcers On The Price Is Right Are Johnny Olson Rod Roddy Rich Fields Jeff Davis.

I Met And Took Two Pictures With Jeff Davis On May 24, 2012 He Is So Nice And Kind In Person.

Rich Fields said this about Drew Carey will always be the first to defend Drew (Carey). He's one of the most genuine, down to earth people in Hollywood that I've ever met. He was the first to come to me and tell me that the show was going in a different direction. He assured me it was not his decision to let me go and I believe him. No one else was open and honest about it, but Drew was. We've continued working together on different projects and we stay in regular touch. We'll be good friends well into the future.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
It's interesting this should come up because I've been thinking along these lines.  Here's why:

Off the record, it's all but certain Roger was let go because he was an agent of the status quo.  Drew has gone on record several times as being ardently opposed to the many and drastic changes being batted around, which to the minds of the execs at Fremantle (only one "e" this time) puts him in the same category.  noobslayer88 is absolutely correct in asserting that this puts a big bulls-eye right on him, as Fremantle wants someone in the host spot that they can control and who won't offer resistance to change.  To their minds, TPiR's overhaul is long overdue, and anyone who stands in the way is denying the importance of change.

I'll even take it a step further.  I spoke directly with an unnamed Fremantle representative yesterday morning (I was trying to get them to open up and give me a light plot for one of the HD shows from last season), and they said in no uncertain terms that the atmosphere there is "highly volatile" right now and that no one's job is safe.  They declined to give specifics, but one of the issues they said was a hotbed right now is "talent," which could only mean Drew or Rich.  As much as I know he wants to get on camera, I highly doubt it's Rich, doubly so since he's been less than vocal about the possible changes to the show.  Drew, however, has been highly vocal in his desires to preserve the status quo.

I will be the first to admit Drew wouldn't have been my first pick at first to replace Bob.  He's grown on me in some ways, but there are still days when I think about the alternatives that weren't explored, or that were glossed over entirely.  That said, he's clearly got the heart and enthusiasm that the job requires; and because his views are so much in line with popular opinion, I don't think he deserves to be canned.  Quite the opposite, if I were Fremantle, I'd look at that as an asset and a glaring reason to keep Drew at all costs.  That's just my two cents, though.

As before, I'll leave the discussion to finer minds than mine, since again it's been too many hours since I had coffee.  Discuss away...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:51:41 PM by tnpir4000 »
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline mbetush

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
I know on another message board (and maybe here too), there was a thread that said, finish the following: "I'll stop watching the price is right when _________________"

I now know my answer, I'll stop watching TPIR when they can drew carey, no matter how short or long he's been host.
Anxiously awaiting another MDS since 2009.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 06:01:31 PM »
Getting rid of Drew would likely not be as easy as getting rid of Roger, though.  I'd imagine CBS itself would probably step in if there were talks of firing Drew.

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
Replacing Drew Carey right now would be the stupidest thing Fremantle would do in trying to "revive" the show. Now, I agree that Drew was not my first choice as host either, but he is not that bad. At times, I think he had better moments than Bob with contestant interactions, games, etc.

What are they gonna do. Replace Drew in mid-season with someone they can control like a robot? No matter whom they replace Drew with, if anyone, I have a feeling no one would like the changes either. The games would have to be learned once again by a new host, which would be a problem. And if they are attempting to take a nobody and use them as host, that probably won't work. Who will go to the show with a host that no one knows?

At least Drew is known to most and gained popularity. People warmed up to Drew, wearing Cleveland shirts, etc. In the beginning of the tapings for Season 36, it was mentioned that some audience members were paid to fill seats. What's gonna happen with a no one host and a show that's totally revamped? Seats will probably have paid audience members in them all the time. Because, unfortunately, when shows have changed drastically, with new people, rules, etc, (like comedies, dramas) people lose interest and stop watching.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
Lots of luck finding a new host if Drew gets fired. I know it's a high-profile job, but who would want it knowing they would have little to no input on the product?
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
Something tells me this actually has nothing to do with Drew.  Anyone wanna guess why I say this?  (We've talked about it before.)

Just a hunch...could be worth nada in the end.