Author Topic: More News  (Read 79808 times)

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
Re: More News
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
Well spellingbeej, don't keep it to yourself--what's your theory?
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »
Lots of luck finding a new host if Drew gets fired. I know it's a high-profile job, but who would want it knowing they would have little to no input on the product?

Oh geez, I hope I don't get banned for this...

It's a joke everybody, It's a joke....
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
I have to admit, that made me chuckle a little! :-)
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 06:20:13 PM »
Well, I didn't think the message was pessimistic at all.

So much so, I think some people's wishes, even if just for one show, will come true.  And the first letter in the wish is what?

*ding*  B

Of course, I know nothing and this is just all conjecture.  Its wishful thinking, but hey, can I wish?   Please?

Realistically, probably not, but it's a theory.

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 06:21:38 PM »
You can't possibly be saying that they want Bob to come back to host the show?  The man just retired and I don't know if he wants to get back into show biz after he left on his own terms.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
May I be the first to ring in and say:

:roll:

Honestly, we heard rumors INDENTICAL to this, as you'll recall, at the top of Season 36 with rumors that Bob would be back to host various primetime events.  Has that happened?  No, and from that day to this I honestly thought discussions like this were behind us.  Bob has retired, by all accounts is enjoying his retirement, and probably wouldn't want to make a comeback--however temporarily--for the stated reason of not wanting to confuse viewers.

We've covered this ground enough...and unless you've got an inside source that suggests Bob may in fact return, things like this are best left unsaid.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:31:01 PM by tnpir4000 »

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 06:28:50 PM »
You can't possibly be saying that they want Bob to come back to host the show?  The man just retired and I don't know if he wants to get back into show biz after he left on his own terms.

Not only that, but they just fired Roger, TPTB seem to want to... umm... adjust a few things (I'm as optimistic as possible here, of course) and Syd surely has an iron fisted grasp on Bob's OTHER old job.... 

Why would he want to come back under those terms?   

Insert 3 Strikes "NO" graphic here...
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »
Well, when I saw the letter "B" come up, I thought he was referring to Bob.  What else that starts with a B could spellingbeej be talking about?  I know asking this doesn't make me less of a fool than I am making myself out to be right now.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
This is where that "TPiR A-B-C" thread in OILF comes in handy.  What else could B stand for in the TPiR universe?

Breslow...Barker...Bargain...Bar...Beau ties...Big...Bid...sorry, but of those, Barker (or Bob) remains the only logical reference.

spellingbeej, out with it already!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:38:07 PM by tnpir4000 »

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »
No, not replacing Drew.  What went through my head was a cameo perhaps, not a complete return.

Big picture...I just don't see this as a firing Drew situation.  That would be beyond stupid.   If that happens, who knows what kind of legal action could go down?  I mean, Drew is barely into the 2nd year of his 5-year contract?  Unless this is the NFL, they kinda have to honor it unless Drew did something boneheaded.

I'll say that I don't think it is a bad thing and it is not Drew getting canned.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
spellingbeej, stop beating about the bush and spit it out already!!!

Offline spellingbeej

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
I kinda did....I'm sensing they want to get ratings and do an MDS with Bob maybe doing one game or coming out, saying hi and Drew kisses him or something crazy.

That's what I was saying.

The more optimistic thought on this....maybe Fremantle is giving Drew a contract extension?  Yeah, he's been outspoken about this, but I would really think that this source (who I believe to be somebody directly on the inside because of their longevity of lurking and got the last one right) would like warn us of bad news.  Otherwise, I wouldn't wanna be in their shoes on this board.  Posting a smile to "bad" news would not be cool at all.

Offline ChinookUT

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »
Posting a smile to "bad" news would not be cool at all.

That's a good point, actually.
ChinookUT: Avid Price watcher since ~1985

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »
I can rule that one out wholeheartedly...for three reasons:

1.  Bob would NEVER do that with the current turmoil up there, especially just for a cheap stunt like that.
2.  Bob would NEVER do that after having been ON the show since September 4, 1972 and EP for probably half that time, for just a quick cameo.
3.  The same Fremantle staffer I spoke to said in no uncertain terms that no primetimers of that nature are planned for right now.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »
That's a good point, actually.

I get the impression the smiley was referring to excitement over breaking this news.

Sadly I have to subscribe to the theory that Drew is giving Fremantle a hard time about some kind of major change and they're looking to force him out... I can now much more envision a John O'Hurley or Todd Newton hosting the show this time next year.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.