Author Topic: More News  (Read 79318 times)

Offline MrBill1978

• In Contestant's Row
    • FacePlace
Re: More News
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 08:16:42 PM »
What is Drew's contract at this point?  I think Drew has the stones to walk out on the gig, if the BS was heavy enough, that is.  Now wouldn't that be something?
Censorship Rocks!!

--Bill

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
It's like i've said before, Fremantle, specifically Syd, is doing everything possible to destroy the show. It's a shame and disgrace really. If they sack Drew, they might as well just close things up and go home-the show at that point will be done.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2008, 08:28:15 PM »
I recognize the signs of what's going on up there though...I see it at the Army base where I work all the time:  get a new command staff, and they want to change everything around for the simple reason that they think they know better.  It's change for the sake of change, all for the purpose of a new battalion commander wanting his stamp on things, and if I'm not mistaken Cecile Frot-Coutaz has already said that's what she wants.  They don't care who or what stands in the way of their bright ideas, plain and simple, and they won't let a little thing like common sense stop them from being reckless.

EDIT:  name changed to reflect proper name.  Thanks TPiRFan222!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:30:45 PM by tnpir4000 »
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline TPIRfan222

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2008, 08:29:05 PM »
Her name is Cecile Frot-Coutaz.

Offline FredtheOne26

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:10 PM »
What the... ? this is just a rumor. Drew was enjoyable and great for is first season and I'm pissed off   >:( that people want Bob to return host. He's retired ! Drew is the new host of this fantastic game show and encourage him if you love the show... or just say nothing and don't listen to the price is right !
The Positive guy ! I hate negativity

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
...and I'm pissed off   >:( that people want Bob to return host.

Don't get pissed, Bob was the man who took TPiR and propelled it to its highest level of fame ever.  To those who would say the host doesn't make the show, I invite you visit YouTube and search for "The New Price is Right 1994" (see also:  Davidson, Doug).  AFAIC, Bob is THE MAN, and I'd have given anything if we could've held onto him for just one more season.  I miss him still and while I won't say anything negative about Drew, there are days when I want Bob back.  Plain and simple.

Drew is the new host of this fantastic game show and encourage him if you love the show... or just say nothing and don't [watch] the price is right !

Correct, Drew is the new host and we all have wished him the best from day one (even those of us who had doubts, and I count myself among them), and if we didn't all love the show we wouldn't be here.  But I would respectfully request you not tell us to "say nothing and don't" watch the show.  Everyone's entitled to their opinions around here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 08:51:41 PM by tnpir4000 »

Offline Willman14

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
The line that worries me most is the "without the producer?"

Without Fingers? This seems extremely grave. Fingers is obviously the only senior staffer left, and they purposely left her out of this meeting. You know they must be up to no good.

Part of me wonders if Fremantle even gives a hoot about the show. Is it possible they are trying to run the show into the ground so they can move on to bigger and better things?

If it IS really true that they are rethinking the host, could it be another "cost-cutting" move? Obviously, Drew is a big-budget name.

Either way, this news is finally getting me truly depressed about this whole mess. I mean, losing Roger was obviously catastrophic in so many ways, but coming out of it, I think I remained optimistic that the show could make changes in stride where perhaps Roger wouldn't budge. I mean, change isn't always such a terrible thing and some of these changes, while not in the tradition of Price, haven't really been that bad at all. But now, I'm convinced that perhaps we haven't seen anything yet. I dont know what these people hope to achieve. After all, we've said it over and over again, the show airs at 11 AM!! You couldn't even get a much younger demographic at that hour if you renamed the show "Real World: PIR". The show does well for what it's given, in fact, incredibly well. If they want more and more out of it (money obviously), the changes should not come from the proven formula of the show, but from the marketing aspect of the show.

It's like having a small fruit stand that sells the most delicious homegrown fruits and vegetables - but of course it's located way out in farm country. Their reputation is superb, they do excellent business, but they aren't capable of growing unless somehow, that farming community grows. If they want to do better, they dont turn themselves into a Supermarket, selling shipped in produce that tastes like crap along with the whole kitten kaboodle of other things. This destroys the reason people enjoyed coming to the business. Rather than making them more money, they run the business into the ground. But what you can do, is move that business to another area....the city, the suburb, and business increases because more people know about it and can access it. There, you can begin to add more items and perhaps expand and change over time, as the community demands more - however, you gotta stick to the winning formula because THAT's why people are coming in (tuning in) in the first place!

But if you are going to stick to that small farming community, you can't just overhaul that little charming fruit stand that all the locals know, build a large building, slap a big neon sign onto it, bring in crappy produce shipped in on trucks, and pawn it all off as if it were the same thing it always was. You will get new customers, surely, but you will lose far more in the process, killing the business.

I dont know. Perhaps that a silly analogy. But somehow, I think it works well. I'm not saying the show has to change it's time slot per se, but more that they can't expect making huge changes to really do anything to help the ratings. If they really want to change the ratings/demographics, they either have to change the time, advertise more, or figure out an extra incentive for a viewer to tune in at 11 AM (a college sweepstakes/home viewer showcase)? The formula is not the problem!!

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
So... TPIR should move to a different timeslot? Let's say that TPIR and Guiding Light swapped slots. Would that make a difference?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »
Well, the show would gain an after-school audience it didn't have since the show was in the 3:00 PM slot back in the mid-70s. But I don't know how it would fare against General Hospital on ABC and local programming on NBC.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 09:39:59 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline 88JRFAN

• Double Showcase Winner
  • HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 09:36:44 PM »
I'd like to see Todd Newton as a host
HAPPY 52ND SEASON, PRICE!!!

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
I wouldn't. After seeing what he's like on the Vegas show...just, no.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
Well, the show would gain an after-school audience it didn't have since the show was in the 3:00 PM slot back in the mid-70s. But I don't know how it would fare against General Hospital on ABC and local programming on NBC.

Local programming wouldn't be a problem, but yeah, I could see some difficulty against General Hospital. Why did they never show soaps before noon, I wonder?
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline bingocaller1

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »
I have seen Todd Newton in action in Atlantic City and there was NOTHING WRONG with Todd!!!!!!!!!!

Todd would be a good host but lets wait until we here for sure before jumping the gun here!

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2008, 09:55:07 PM »
Wasn't there a clip somewhere of Todd doing Race Game at the live show?  I saw one a while back and I'd love to see it again, can anyone find it?

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »
The following is a little bit of home-grown wisdom from John "GoldenBulldog" Gillmen:

I just read this entire thread (haha that rhymed! :-D) today, and I just have this sinking feeling that Fremantle just wants to run the show into the ground.  Think of it this way:  it's kinda like the movie Major League (if you haven't seen Major League, Charlie Sheen's in it) in which the "owner" of the Cleveland Indians wants her team to lose and finish last--by running it into the ground nonetheless--so that she could move the team to Miami and onto bigger things.  However...the team struck back and...well, you'll just have to watch it for yourself.  :-D  

This is what I hypothesize Fremantle doing; that's what Cecile Frot-Coutaz wants to do to an American institution like TPIR--to run it into the ground and move onto bigger things.  However, I believe that our "team," in this case the entire staff (Drew, Fingers, Rich, etc.), can--and WILL--strike back, especially if news of these supposed changes leaks over to CBS.  Trust me, CBS WILL do something about Fremantle's carelessness.  

Folks, I strongly encourage you to write to CBS and TPIR--show them that we are LFAT's who do not want to see anything happen to a formula that has stood the test of time for 37 years.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.