Author Topic: More News  (Read 79796 times)

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: More News
« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:26 PM »
My turn on the soapbox:

Not trying to step on anyone's toes and I mean no offense to anyone...but if you seriously think the answer to all three questions is a big "yes," please re-read them and really take the time to THINK about your answer.  Let's say 'Price' was canceled.  Does that really affect your welfare in the grand scheme of things?  Seriously.  I've been a fan of the show since before many of you were even born.  It has always been a big tradition in my life.  But you know, things change and we have to deal with it.

One of the best friends I've ever had is moving to the other side of the country in six days.  I'm sure I'll see him again some day...I may even work up the nerve to fly out there some time.  But he's not going to be here in town so we can catch lunch.  He's not going to be around so we can hang out.  Sure, he'll still be a phone call or an email away, but it won't be the same.  The grief -- yeah, actual grief..who would have thought -- I feel over seeing him and his family move so far away is about a thousand times more intense a feeling than what I felt when Barker signed off for the last time and about a million times more intense a feeling than what I felt about the possibility of a video wall or a purple wheel.

My point in bringing that up is this:  I'm a LF&T.  Always have been.  But folks, 'Price' is a television show: if this show is more important -- really more important -- to you than your family or your friends, or your job, or the rest of your life, then I urge you to stop and rethink things.  Your priorities are out of whack.  And I mean that in the nicest way possible, because even though we always find new things to disagree about, we're all united for the same reason here, and we ought to be able to be a little honest with each other once in a while.

I'll miss 'Price' when it goes away...and I hope that won't be for many more years to come.  But one day it'll happen.  And it's not going to be the day my whole world ends.  I genuinely hope for all of you, those I've gotten to know well over the years and those I've never had an exchange with at all, that it isn't the day yours ends, either.

Some things are more important than a television show, folks.  If you can't grasp that, then I'm afraid you're going to be in for a rough, rough life.  (And I'm older than most of you, so you'll just have to trust me on that.)  Sometimes, it's okay to turn the TV off and go live your life.

GIVES CBSPROMOMAN A STANDING OVATION!!!!

AMEN

I have said for the past 10 years (when asked by friends) that I bet Barker will stay through 35 and I bet hangs it up. When Bob announced his retirement on Halloween 06 I was not surprised cause I knew the day would come. My friends expected me to go into mourning....well it is a TV show, and a great one. Barker is the reason I got into broadcasting. I host numerous community events and have followed the ways of hosting from Bob.

I am about to be the announcer/emcee for another famous "Bob" we are doing a version of his show and I have been asked to be the announcer of the show. I am very excited. We are taping the show and I will post it online for you all to see.

So you see, I miss Barker, but Barker was not ever going to not leave! We all knew it would happen eventually! I take the idol that Barker was to me and continue to entertain my area.

All will be good everyone! And pray that those in power get good sense, and keep Kathy Greco in prayer too - I know that things are tough on her right now and she has a lot to oversee.

If anything, at least (thanks to the internet) we will always have access to our favorite moments of Barker, Pennington, Hallstrom, Parkinson, Bradley, Olson, and Roddy Price is Right!

God Bless everyone!
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »
Although I've enjoyed the show since I was a kid, I have just been a "hardcore" fan of the show since February. True, and its a great show and I'd hate to see it go. But, I've been through my life with numerous great shows I've loved being canceled or ending by mandate/request/creator's choice/etc. (Star Trek: Enterprise, Justice League Unlimited, Animaniacs, Tokyo Pig, many more) and it hasn't changed my life drastically. Besides, I'm sure I'm not the only one recording all the episodes of Price I can get my hands on either. :P And, hey, if it does end--GSN repeats of the 5000+ episodes of the show become extremely likely.

And, I'm really wondering about this "big meeting" because the last wave of huge rumors turned out to be way over-exaggerated. All that has been changed are small rules on pricing games, some set redesigns, and what sounds like an awesome new edition to the now-74-game pricing lineup. When I see an official press release announcing John O'Hurley as the Host of Price 3000 or whatever, then I'll believe it, but right now--these are just rumors of a possible meeting to discuss what may be changed.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying repeats I previously missed and then the first-run episodes of Season 37 (!!!) next month! :)

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
All I know is that if I want to get another chance to see the show I love in person, I should probably make the trip, like, really soon.

Which makes me sad because there's no way I could save up for another trip that quickly.  :(
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:02 PM »
Army you're fortunate to have even been there in person once.  I've NEVER been there, and my single biggest regret will always be that I didn't get there while Bob was still hosting. 
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
I, too, have never had the opportunity to attend a tapinig of the show. I wished I had.  I have always wanted to meet Bob in person.  But, those days are no more.  Thank goodness for VHS tapes and recordable DVDs.  I can still see him daily.   

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
And, I'm really wondering about this "big meeting" because the last wave of huge rumors turned out to be way over-exaggerated.

Did they really?  We're only a few weeks into the season, and it's already been established that the opening was going to be changed at the first taping until Drew got wind of it and had it nixed.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
If Drew is really vetoing all these changes, then I'm guessing that is what will be addressed.   It's possible that they'll give him some type of authoritative position, but more likely that they'll just tell him to put up or shut up.  I think they might also ask him to tune up his hosting style.  I mean, I enjoy Drew for his sense of humor, contestant interaction, and generally jolly demeanor, but his lack of polish can be a real issue at times, and it's something that has turned a lot of casual viewers off.  But in any event, I don't think he'll be fired, and I would hate to see that happen.

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
Did they really?  We're only a few weeks into the season, and it's already been established that the opening was going to be changed at the first taping until Drew got wind of it and had it nixed.

Really? That's the first I've heard of that...any details on what it would have been like?

On the flip side, they did listen to Drew and kept the classic-style intro. That's an encouraging sign, I'd say.

Offline Todd

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2008, 10:31:45 PM »
The fact that Drew is fighting for us just shows what kind of a guy he is. You may not like his hosting style, but he understands and respects the history of the show, and really cares. Kudos to you, Drew.
Signatures are overrated.

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:16 PM »
I knew Drew didn't like the purple wheel, but now that I know he is the reason we still have our "COME ON DOWN!" intro I have a whole NEW respect for him. I am really worried about what this meeting could possibly mean. I'm sure Kathy would be very opposed to changes as well, and Fremantle may expect her to make a fuss at this meeting about changes brought up. I just hope that if Fremantle gets way to wacky with their changes that CBS steps in, and that the Price staff step in as well. IMHO, anything less than our CURRENT TPiR (meaning BRAND NEW set, new opening, new staff members ie. host and format changes) is just not acceptable. If the people at Fremantle (like Syd) were smart ( :oldlol: ) they'd just leave the show alone. They've already done enough damage by firing The Dob. I know everyone makes mistakes, but Fremantle seems to be making one-too-many of them on a single show.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2008, 11:01:49 PM »
What I can't understand is, there's precedent for this situation.  Travel back fourteen years with me to 1994, when Paramount first met with CBS executives regarding a proposed "NEW Price is Right" in pre-production at the time.  Then, as now, high-powered executives had their ideas for a new brand of Price that would appeal to younger viewers and would feature a more modern set and updated music, with a completely different opening style and feel for the show.  Then, as now, big meetings happened, and some of them were to deal with "talent" (or lack thereof; see also, Davidson, Douglas).

And what I can't understand is, if they've got such a desire to make all sorts of changes, why not spin off a separate primetime show to test them out?  CBS could theoretically sign off on that, and I rather imagine they'd prefer having a separate primetime show a la TNPiR'94 to testbed the proposed changes rather than just implementing them willy-nilly in daytime and hoping for the best.

Just a thought...
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline TPIRFAN1964

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »
Speaking of the Davidson version of Price - I never again want to see him hosting T.P.I.R.  I was amazed that they even considered him or had him audition for Bob's replacement after he retired.  If you ask me, he's better suited to be in soaps then as a gameshow host - just my 2 cents.

Offline jharvey79

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »
That is giving Davidson too much credit...he is not even that great of an actor on Young and the Restless.
Will Plinko ever be won???

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
Travel back fourteen years with me to 1994, when Paramount first met with CBS executives regarding a proposed "NEW Price is Right" in pre-production at the time.

Why would CBS have been a party to this meeting? CBS did not then, never has and does not now own TPIR. Any such discussions would have been between a syndicator and Goodson Productions. You may have heard of Goodson Productions -- they used to own the show.
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »
Speaking of the Davidson version of Price - I never again want to see him hosting T.P.I.R.  I was amazed that they even considered him or had him audition for Bob's replacement after he retired.  If you ask me, he's better suited to be in soaps then as a gameshow host - just my 2 cents.
I'm really not sure why you are surprised by this.  He did have hosting experience with the show.  They would have been foolish not to at least consider him.