Author Topic: UK Price is Right - Challenge TV?  (Read 8870 times)

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
UK Price is Right - Challenge TV?
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Bruce Forsyth, but it's time Challenge TV stopped showing his era on The Price is Right.  We've seen them so many times now we always remember who wins.

They seem to forget that Leslie Crowther hosted the show as well and his episodes haven't been seen since their original ITV screenings, therefore many who watched it at the time will have forgotten who wins.  Watching them after all these years would be just as enjoyable as watching them the first time around again.

Offline bigwheel1991

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: UK Price is Right - Challenge TV?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »
Bruce Is AWESOME! I think he should stay.
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »
Bruce Is AWESOME! I think he should stay.

You have no say in the matter, are you living in the British Isles?, are you sick to death of constant reruns?

Offline bigwheel1991

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 01:47:40 PM »
Well I can still Support Bruce If I want to.
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Bruce Forsyth, but it's time Challenge TV stopped showing his era on The Price is Right.  We've seen them so many times now we always remember who wins.

They seem to forget that Leslie Crowther hosted the show as well and his episodes haven't been seen since their original ITV screenings, therefore many who watched it at the time will have forgotten who wins.  Watching them after all these years would be just as enjoyable as watching them the first time around again.

IMHO I much prefer the 60 minute Price is Right, as opposed to the 30 minute show.  Whilst it may be fun to watch, I don't think half-an-hour does the show any justice.

If you think about it - only 3 people play a Showcase Showdown, which means even at the beginning of the show we know not all the 4 people in contestants row can go through - so what's the point in bringing more down.

Leslie Crowther's era definately had the best variety with the floor games.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:38:35 AM by bhvictory »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
Even though I'm not British, I have seen a few of both series.

I do enjoy the Forsyth episodes quite a bit, However, There is something about the Crowther version that just completely trumps it. It works harder to put on a more entertaining show- and this is with cheaper prizes, a less-flashy set (even for then) and a slightly different format. In fact, when I did our version of TPIR, I actually envisioned it more as a hybrid of our version and Crowther's (cause it was a stage show with smaller prizes).

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »
Leslie's era also generated more press coverage than Brucie's.  There was articles almost every other week in the TV Times and even a stage show in 1985 in Blackpool, also produced by William G. Stewart - the greatest British producer of gameshows ever and that's not a joke.

Offline bingocaller1

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »
I have often wondered why BBC America does not pick up the UK Price because they have the game show Bargain Hunt with David Dickenson.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 08:41:35 PM »
I have often wondered why BBC America does not pick up the UK Price because they have the game show Bargain Hunt with David Dickenson.

Um because its was never produced by the BBC, ITV unwillingness to sell internationally, lack of interest?

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »
Um because its was never produced by the BBC, ITV unwillingness to sell internationally, lack of interest?

Original producer William G. Stewart actually approached the BBC with The Price is Right in late 1983, but they turned it down.  Having seen the US series and the crazy audiences, they didn't feel that a UK audience would react in the same way or could be considered to react in that way.  Thank god Central TV had the decency to think otherwise.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »
Well ITV made the massive mistake back in 1988 to axe The Price is Right while it was still getting massive ratings - why oh why!?!?

At the time 2 other ITV hits also suffered Play Your Cards Right & 3-2-1.

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »
Original producer William G. Stewart actually approached the BBC with The Price is Right in late 1983, but they turned it down.  Having seen the US series and the crazy audiences, they didn't feel that a UK audience would react in the same way or could be considered to react in that way.

William G. Stewart? The guy who hosted presented the immensely-popular Fifteen-To-One? Wow.

And BOO THE BBC! We could have been seeing their logo pop up during The Price is Right! We could've had VHS releases with the CBS-FOX logo flying in with that catchy music and the BBC Video logo (pick one), followed by the show's light border!

...MAN that would've been something...but maybe there could be a channel in the USA which can show all those British games?
-Daniel
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline bhvictory

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:29:06 AM »
William G. Stewart? The guy who hosted presented the immensely-popular Fifteen-To-One? Wow.

And BOO THE BBC! We could have been seeing their logo pop up during The Price is Right! We could've had VHS releases with the CBS-FOX logo flying in with that catchy music and the BBC Video logo (pick one), followed by the show's light border!

...MAN that would've been something...but maybe there could be a channel in the USA which can show all those British games?
-Daniel

The very one - Bill was also a producer of Family Fortunes in both Bob Monkhouse & Max Bygraves eras.  It was actually he who recommended Leslie for the show, he'd worked with him many years before as a producer of his variety shows and sitcoms.  The two were very close friends.

The press actually hated our Price is Right to start with, blasting it as "too American", but it was public viewing figures which counted and the ratings were sky-high.  The show even had it's own stage show in Blackpool in 1985, such was it's popularity.