Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)  (Read 48106 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »
SCSD #1: It looks like they grabbed the wheel from the Vegas shows there. By the way I wanted Jasmine or Daniel to win here.

I may be wrong here, but that was not the Vegas wheel, it's the regular one after the art department painted over the purple color scheme.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline rob01234

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
Sounds like the show went well.  i can't say anything more about it because i haven't watched the tape of it yet.
Never Forget: Superball!!!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 05:41:43 PM »
I wonder if Roger was still in the producer's chair, if the trailer would have been staged in the studio instead of outside Television City.

I can say that the Showcase was written during Roger's tenure and the plan was to have it staged outside from the get go.  Some of the verbiage appeared to be changed since the original script, however.
John

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 05:58:12 PM »
I really loved this season premiere. I can't believe 7 years ago I was in 7th grade staying home to catch the 30th season premiere...the only one I've missed since is season 31, which I had to make a trade to get on tape.

Were all of the new music cues heard today cues that were part of packages introduced since 2003 that never got airtime, or were they especially written for this new season?

I can say that the Showcase was written during Roger's tenure and the plan was to have it staged outside from the get go.  Some of the verbiage appeared to be changed since the original script, however.

Maybe Roger was going to explain how the trailer would have been a first for Price?

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
Opening:  As we figured, the daytime show in now in HD.  Too bad I don't have an HDTV... yet.

ME:  That's the way to start the new season--three-car Most Expensive!  I thought Jasmine had this game in the bag when she said that the Impala was her dream car.  I thought she was going to pick it. :-(

Stinko:  WHOO!  TPIR video game!

Gas:  WHOO!  New pricing game!  Staged just like Pass the Buck.  Given that, we now know that If the car price is announced, it's PTB... and if the car price is not announced, it's Gas.  I love that gas station bell for cash reveals.  I thought that the car price was $23,160, so I would've lost it all.  Pretty interesting that the last price he revealed was the most obviously wrong price.

SCSD #1:  Pricedown font on the wheel is different.  Nice new red carpet.  Big, flashy Pricedown dollar signs on the set.  Bigger bonuses.  Very nice makeover.

Money:  A Dodge Journey?!  Terrific... another car whose price I need to study.  I can't believe that 37 was actually the correct number... and on the season premiere, no less.  Was 36 ever a correct number last season?  I don't think it was.

Pappy:  All right!  Mary returns to the stage after 34 years!  And it's her birthday and anniversary!  Doesn't get much better than that.

SC #2:  Holy freakin' crap!  A 37-foot trailer outside of the studio!  If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time in over 30 years that a prize had to be shown in the parking lot cuz it was was too big for the studio.

My showcase bids:
Trips/cars--$50,307
:frts: --$50,307
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »
Was 36 ever a correct number last season?  I don't think it was.

Actually on the final Money Game of Season 36, 36 was the correct choice for the last two numbers.  That was the only time that happened last year.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
Most Expensive: When Drew said something along the lines of a twist to an old pricing game, I thought that meant they were playing Triple Play and Rich would describe each car after introducing them.  I even thought so when I didn’t see the podiums behind each car.  Glad to know that’s not the case.  Too bad the podiums weren’t used.  I bet this is the first time a season premiere began with Most Expensive.

Gas Money: If it was up to me, I would have quit after the 3rd pick and left with $5,000.  One thing I didn’t like is how Drew said it was like an all-or-nothing game.  Even though he did say “like”, it sounded similar to saying it is an all-or-nothing game, which it isn’t.  Question: Prior to the end of the description (when Rich may or may not say the price of the car, is there any way to distinguish this from Pass the Buck?

Squeeze Play: I chose to take the 2 out also, and fortunately, that resulted in a win for both of us!

Money Game: I had a feeling 37 would be part of the money game board considering the same thing happened during Seasons 35 and 36.

Pick-a-Pair: I was hoping “Not Double Prices”.  Pick-a-Pair is a better game; I was just hoping for a better second half.

Showcase Showdown 2:  There was something amusing about Drew mentioning the Big Wheel 34 years ago, even though it didn’t exist 34 years ago.  Since it didn’t exist, obviously, the bonuses wouldn’t have existed either.

SC1: My Bid: $64,500 / OVER
SC2: My Bid: $88,400 / OVER

I enjoyed seeing a prize situated outside the studio, although by no means do I want this to happen frequently.

I loved how Rich and Drew acknowledged the fact that the daytime show is not broadcast in HD.
Don't you mean now instead of not?

Offline Brent115

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »
The show is still going strong, I think the show will last many more years. I think Gas Money will last a long time.

We miss you Roger Dobkowitz.

Best of luck in the producer's seat, Kathy

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:04:00 PM by Brent115 »

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
I wasn't sure what game they were playing first today, because I didn't see any backdrops for the game. It was nice to see Most expensive played for 3 cars again. Too bad she lost, she was a great contestant.

Also, I noticed that the last 3 games played were also the last 3 games played on the 22nd season premiere, and in the same order.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 07:20:43 PM »
Don't you mean now instead of not?

I did mean now, I don't know how I typed "not"; thanks for pointing that out.

Offline Brent115

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
Just a question for everybody, Did you all like the new design of the Big Wheel?

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »
i'm hatin the fact that i'm not HD like everyone else.  the light box was cut off at the sides today.  i can just imagine what the rest of you digital folks were seein.  drew's stage walk through the doors was funny though.

it looks strange somehow, the pricedown numbers are without a doubt different than they were before.  are you sure its the real one and not the vegas wheel?  something was definitely off about the numbers

as for everything else, it was cool to see ME played first and for three cars yet.  wasn't the last time they did that on bob's birthday special?

gas money is an innovative game and it'll be cool to see it played again.

i missed part of the showcases but im still trying to digest the fact of the trailer being outside.  thats just too cool to see it against TVC.  theyve got a TVC prize backdrop that they bring out now and again but you just can't beat the real thing

as season openers go this didnt have the same umph to it that years past have ad.  the set seemed way too underdecorated for the occasion but it was great to see some nice prizes for each game and i definitely liked having rich actually say "the 37th year" unlike last year

looking forward to seeing more of season 37

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:49 PM »
Well, for the most part, the show still felt like Roger was producing it.  I hope to God they can keep that up through the whole season.

Most Expensive for cars again was neat...but it would have been nice to actually know it was Most Expensive.  I don't get why they didn't use the prize backdrops like they did in Season 35...it looked like they were introducing Triple Play without them!

That last drop in Plinko was really heartbreaking...you can't get a whole lot closer to $10,000 than that.

Gas Money...I dunno.  Something seems a bit off about it...maybe because you're not really doing anything but standing there and naming prices.  It actually reminded me a lot of Shower Game.  Maybe it needs to be explained better...perhaps mentioning what's going to happen with the other four prices before the gameplay gets underway.  I do think it has a neat set, though...and it's going to be interesting not to be able to predict Pass the Buck just from the reveal anymore.

The Big Wheel looks better than I thought it would...that extra strip of silver lights near the big dollar signs is a little much, but aside from that, it's pretty good.

It was good to see the season number up in its proper spot during Money Game.  I hope that's something that continues.

The new car cues today sounded really bad.  At least there was a normal one used in Gas Money.

I wonder what Mary did the first time she was on the show.  That'd be a cool thing to find out.  Heck, some of us might even have her episode!

Did anybody else notice how silly it was for Drew to be talking about what the wheel bonuses were in 1974? :)

Having the final prize in the Showcase out in the parking lot was kind of interesting...and I sincerely hope they keep it interesting by not doing it again the whole rest of the season.

And guys, yes, this was definitely the real Big Wheel today.  The Vegas one, which I believe we'll be seeing next Thursday, looks much different.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Brent115

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
The Super Ball-style dollar signs, which were used for seasons 16 to 36 are used for the Vegas wheel, like Steve said, we will see it next week sometime

Offline SuperBall85

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »
Awesome show all the way around.

Although I managed to catch some of the MDS's in HD, it's great to see daytime in HD. The new set looks really spiffy.

I have only seen Gas Money once and I am loving it. Great game with a really great concept, cool set, neat little sound effects, and a fun, tense setup. Glad to see it won on its debut!

The "current new" wheel (if I'm remembering correctly #3 after Purple and Vegas) looks great. I love the Silver $ signs and the lights. And, it seems a bit more reflective. In HD, the bottom numbers turn red a bit like the carpet--nice. And, anyone notice in the first Showcase Showdown, Drew didn't ask anyone if they'd like to say hey? Just a note.

And, wow! What showcases today. Cool to see the outside of Television City, the home of so many historic game shows.

All and all, a fun show. Can't wait for more of...Season 37!  :-D